How do you feel about the military?

What is your opinion of the military?

• Love 'em! God bless our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen!!!!!!

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • I support our troops!

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Well, we need a military, right?

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Our military is paid too much...not worth it

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • They are babykillers and warmongers

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, just something I have been wondering about here. I understand that with five different writers you have five different viewpoints, so please keep politics to another thread and give your honest answer.

Thanks!
KP

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
They kill people and get great benefits, right? What's not to like about a job like that?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It has its place and is great for our nation. But we're spending way too much and I am not sure if we're managing it well...

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I wish they were home and doing things here.

For instance - here on the MS Gulf Coast ...........we are still in desperate need of help. For one thing - we have two major bridges still out - and traffic is a nightmare - resulting in fatalities everyday.

If the National Guard were here working on getting these bridges up - everyone would be safer.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
kappapi99 said:
Hi all, just something I have been wondering about here. I understand that with five different writers you have five different viewpoints, so please keep politics to another thread and give your honest answer.

Thanks!
KP

I think it is the best way to learn a profession, build a career, and learn about life after school for kids. I wish I could go back in time and do it all over again.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How do we feel about the military, or the war?

There's too much money in it, I think. But every country needs a military.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I like the military, just not the wars we're in.

(I have in no way been drugged, brainwashed, or mind-altered by the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I go with option one.

My maternal grandfather was in the Army Aircorp.
My maternal grandmother was a WAC.
My paternal grandfather was in the Navy.
My father was in the Army.
Two uncles were in the Army.

I joined the Army after 4 years in JROTC in high school. I didn't get passed basic training because I fell asleep while marching tripped over a rucksack and my head bounced off the concrete resulting in a concussion. Thank God for kevlar helmets or it would have been much worse. I was told to pursue my interests elsewhere.

Robert Toy

Got to love them and I fully support them. If the people who served made policy there would be no wars.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
rosemerry said:
I go with option one.

My maternal grandfather was in the Army Aircorp.
My maternal grandmother was a WAC.
My paternal grandfather was in the Navy.
My father was in the Army.
Two uncles were in the Army.

I joined the Army after 4 years in JROTC in high school. I didn't get passed basic training because I fell asleep while marching tripped over a rucksack and my head bounced off the concrete resulting in a concussion. Thank God for kevlar helmets or it would have been much worse. I was told to pursue my interests elsewhere.
I hope you aren't a dance instructor now. :D

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's no secret with me, I love 'em!

I have two brothers, a brother-in-law, and my husband who are all in the Army. My dad and grandfather were in the Air Force, and my father-in-law was in the Navy.

One of my brother's (radiology tech) just returned from serving a year in Germany at the hospital there, part of OEF and OIF, and my other brother (human intelligence) is about halfway through his year long tour in Afghanistan, and well, you can see how much my husband (sniper) has left to serve of his year tour in Iraq. Yep, I love our military, all branches!

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Toy said:
Got to love them and I fully support them. If the people who served made policy there would be no wars.

Amen to that, Mr. Toy!

I think it's only fair that I share my own input. I was at the "Tip of the Spear" for OEF. Watched the first planes take off, and the first cruise missiles get launced with mine own eyes.

After a short break where I built Navy Ships instead of sailing them, I am back and headed overseas.

KP

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno, after my last (two week) stay at the veterans hospital, I'd have to say blah. I need to return again in the near future for more surgery and treatments, but hate going to the VA hospitals for anything.

Try spending a month in a Naval hospital and we can all clap hands and pat each other on the shoulder.

There are also tens-of-thousands of disgruntled Vietnam vets out there who have a different pov of the military.

I do admit that I still have a bond with my former marines and love to get together with them and remember those days...but...I would perfer if no nation had or needed a military.

Robert Toy

SpookyWriter said:
I dunno, after my last (two week) stay at the veterans hospital, I'd have to say blah. I need to return again in the near future for more surgery and treatments, but hate going to the VA hospitals for anything.

Try spending a month in a Naval hospital and we can all clap hands and pat each other on the shoulder.

There are also tens-of-thousands of disgruntled Vietnam vets out there who have a different pov of the military.

I do admit that I still have a bond with my former marines and love to get together with them and remember those days...but...I would perfer if no nation had or needed a military.
I am, as you put it one of the tens-of-thousands of disgruntled Vietnam vets. My displeasure is not with the military, but the political policy makers that initiated it, meddled in it and when all hell broke lose failed to support it. And of course the wonderful pubic support upon returning home was a real heart warmer.

Robert Toy

Contrary to what everyone else says Spooky your're okay. ;)

Wonder why I lived overseas for the last 30 years? :)

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Robert Toy said:
Wonder why I lived overseas for the last 30 years? :)
I can only imagine. But so did I for a time to write horror stories...going back to Holland in four years (or less) so I can continue with two novels that begin in Europe...

Back to the topic...my personal feeling is that I would rather we (all countries) had no military. But my dreams are probably hundreds of years away from reality.

Robert Toy

SpookyWriter said:
I can only imagine. But so did I for a time to write horror stories...going back to Holland in four years (or less) so I can continue with two novels that begin in Europe...

Back to the topic...my personal feeling is that I would rather we (all countries) had no military. But my dreams are probably hundreds of years away from reality.
Yup, but as long as one has a military, we will also need one.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Whistle speaks the truth. There's no better way to get a lot of money for college than 4 years in the armed forces, if you don't have means already. They also teach discipline and job skills to many folks who just don't have any.

ElDragon, really? Someone dies in traffic every day, and the military could help with that? I won't deny that you guys oughta have your national guard back home helping out, but I'm not so sure about the rest of that.

I would perfer (sic) if no nation had or needed a military.

No one would agree with you on this more than the professional soldier, Spooky. But as MacArthur said, quoting a much earlier reference... Only the dead have seen the end of war.

America's military has a long and proud tradition. It also has many dark and scandalous blots -- just like every military organization on earth. Their job is to break things and kill people, and I don't think we give them enough credit or opportunity to do so.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Having served in the military for 24 years, I had to select option 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.