AWAI to make money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlecupofjoe

Hello everybody!

I am a staff writer for a non-profit conservation organization in Canada. I have a background in wildlife biology and journalism. I have written copy for educational posters, PSAs, newsletters,media kits and press releases. I am currently writing an article on birds for our website.

Recently, part of an article I wrote has been plagiarized by this forestry department civil servant down east. He writes a weekly nature column for his local paper. I find that quite flattering :grin

The job is great, but I eventually want to go freelance. It's that going to work in your pjs thing that I find so attractive. :thumbs

I am slowly breaking into some major nature/environmental magazines in North America. My dream is to write books about wildlife and even a travel book or two (crappy pay but imagine the adventure!).

Ok so this question may have been asked before but what I would like to know is if someone has ever taken a copy writing e-course like those offered by AWAI. I am looking for ways to diversify my income, so I am wondering if it is worth it.

I know that there is a lot of hype surrounding these classes, but I guess my specific question is : would I be wasting my money by taking this class? :shrug

I am not kidding myself by thinking that once I complete this class I am guaranteed success. Of course, like any business, it takes a lot of hard work. But the ads for these courses make it sound super easy...

:rofl

You may be thinking: what is the relationship between wildlife, ad copy and direct mail? Actually, in my job I have to come up with slogans and all kinds of cool stuff to bring in the non-profit bucks.

Littlecupofjoe :coffee

P.S.: I love these emoticons...I could sit here and make faces all day! :b

mammamaia

greetings, java-lito!

...i'm not familiar with this outfit, but perhaps someone else here will be able to give you some feedback...

...meanwhile, welcome to the forum... put your feet up, pour another cup and enjoy yourself!...

love and hugs, maia
[newbie and mentoring modmom]

AltoRose

Re: greetings, java-lito!

They're the people who run those ads saying something along the lines of: "I only worked one week each month last year and made $105,000,000." They're advertised on almost every writing site I've been to. It's a copywriting course by Michael Masterson, I believe.

I'd also be interested in hearing what people have to say about this course. It does sort of sound like a bunch of hooey - like he'll also teach you to lose weight without dieting or going to the gym - but it could be legit. I don't know much about it, personally.

maestrowork

"I only worked one week each month last year and made $105,000,000

Sign me up, baby!

:jump :snoopy :clap :party

littlecupofjoe

Java-lito, I like that!

I guess I am trying to find a good copywriting course where my work will be critiqued. Constructively critiqued, that is.:clap

Still, it would be great to hear from someone who actually took the class. It would be even better to hear from one of those people who work one week per month and are making millions ;)

:wha

Littlecupofjoe :coffee

mammamaia

glad ya liked the nickname... if you'd be interested in free one-on-one mentoring, which i can run like a 'course' if you want, just let me know... in my old writing consultant years i wrote pretty much anything for anybody and now mentor folks who write most anything [only exception is violent content]...

hugs, maia
[email protected]

littlecupofjoe

Hi Maia

That sounds like a great offer! I will check out your website :)

Thanks!

Right now I am frantically writing a 1200 word feature on wildflowers...the last query I sent was accepted. I guess I will be pulling an all-nighter! But it will be worth it to see my name in print.

Littlecupofjoe :coffee aka java-lita (cause I am a girl)

mammamaia

javalita, it is!

best of luck with the flower piece... if you want a quick critical read before sending it off, just slip it to me by email and i'll have it back toya before you can blink...

hugs, maia

Status
Not open for further replies.