Transexual cattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
In the new animated movie "Barnyard" the male bovine characters all have udders! Are the movie makers simply city folk who don't understand the significance of milk coming from the udder, or is this an insidious attempt to sow gender confusion in the youth of America? ;)

From the review:
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-et-barnyard4aug04,0,1322402.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels
I don't pretend to know all the answers; all I can say for sure is that in writer-director Steve Oedekerk's bizarre computer-animated universe, "female cows" are required to wear hair accessories in order to differentiate themselves from "male cows," with whom they unaccountably share secondary sex characteristics. Otis the cow (voiced by Kevin James), his alpha cow dad, Ben (Sam Elliott), and the thuggish band of Jersey cows Otis teams up with toward the end of the movie are all in unfortunate possession of protuberant udders that look like rubber toilet plungers with four wobbly cocktail weenies attached. The image would be plenty disturbing enough if the characters didn't compound the shock by going about on hind legs and engaging in lots of bouncy physical activity. Reader, there were times when I felt compelled to avert my eyes and pray for pants.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I saw the preview for this film, and the above review only details one of two the apparent problems with this venture. The other is that it just isn't funny. What a waste of effort it looks to be.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Worrying indeed, Peggy. And why are they called 'male cows' instead of 'bulls'?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't care how good it is meant to be--I can't watch something that moronic. Are these people drinking liquid from the groins of bulls? How stupid are they to do a whole movie and have nobody know where milk *doesn't* come from?

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Perks said:
I saw the preview for this film, and the above review only details one of two the apparent problems with this venture. The other is that it just isn't funny. What a waste of effort it looks to be.
The unfunny aspect is touched on later in the review. It looks like it's just all-around bad.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
...udders on boy cows...yet another reason for country folk to laugh at city folk.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
let's us country folk keep the girl milk
and let the city folks have the boy milk

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boy cows? With udders? Um, I've never seen a boy cow. Bulls and steers, yes.

And yes, this county folk is laughing at the idiots in Hollywood who think milk comes from cartons.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would pay money to watch to producers try to milk one of those "boy cows." :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What I canlt figure is how it went through the whole production process and *nobody* flags this as a problem?!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't they usually use animals as models to animate from? Did none of these rocket scientists figure out that boys don't have big boobies? That goes down in my book as the absolute STUPIDEST error I have seen in a while.

I think I'll take a pass on this one.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's udderly preposterous.

How bout the fact that Pluto the dog has no genitalia at all!

And don't get me started on why Mickey wears pants and Donald wears a shirt, while Bugs is happy in the buff (except when playing baseball)...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They aren't doing it to make them cuter or more human--they doing it because they don;t know XX from XY-- stoopidity

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying they should have drawn them like real bulls (hung down to their knees). I don't care if you draw them with no genitalia. I mean, it is supposed to be a kiddie flick.

But if you do put genitalia/sexual identifiers on the animals, could you at least pick the right ones.

Sheesh. Where are the weirdos who were protesting a purple teletubbie for looking gay?

drevil915

Registered
Reaction score
What is it with all these cutsie CGI romps? They seem like Pixtar ripoffs to me. This year alone, we had Ice Age 2, Over the Hedge, Cars (even though that's Pixtar) The Wild...now Barnyard, come on guys, I know there's more.

anyway, I haven't seen any of these, so I can't really judge them, but it sure seems like studio overkill. But I'm looking forward to Toy Story 3.

-jason

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Status
Not open for further replies.