I, Lucifer, by Glen Duncan

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I stumbled across this book in the library where I was working a few years ago, and right from the first sentence I was hooked. It's irreverent and profound, and funny as anything.

Plus I'm a sucker for British-style humor.

Plot-wise, the book is about a deal God makes with Satan, that if he can inhabit the body of a human for a month and lead a good life on earth, he will let him back into Heaven before the end of the world. Satan, being the ultimate deal-maker, agrees, but never intends to follow God's original plan. Instead, he takes this as a sort of vacation from eternal torment, a romp in the sensual world of the flesh before the end.

That's the plot, but the book is a trip in first person as Luce goes back and tells his side of those famous stories, Eden, the Temptation of Christ, etc, and in the vibrant writing itself.

I see on IMDB.com that they've "announced" a movie version, starring Daniel Craig (new James Bond guy) as Lucifer, and Ewan MacGregor as the penniless writer whose body Luce possesses for a month. I know that means it might not happen but I'd love to see if they could pull it off.

Anyway...sorry for gushing...has anyone else read this?

TSByrne

Registered
Reaction score
At long last, another Glen Duncan fan!

I picked up his book The Death of an Ordinary Man completely on impulse and absolutely loved it. I, Lucifer is also wonderful, though in a vastly different way. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of his other work though. I keep meaning to poke around on half.com.

I would be very interested in a movie verison of Lucifer. That would be a total post-modern triumph if nothing else. Curious that they give Lucifer and Declan Gun different actors ... I'd think Gun would be one guy and angelic Luce would be CGI or something.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I, Lucifer

http://books.google.com/books?id=-U...oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail

I bought a book yesterday. I go into the bookstore about every week...sometimes I make it out without spending money, sometimes I don't.

This one, however, looked too good to pass up. Anybody ever read this one?

The idea is right up my alley...it has religious themes, and yet it seems unique. The book is about a confession from the devil himself. He's offered a "deal". He can recant his old ways and make it back into heaven, but first he has to come to earth and live as one of us.

I skimmed through it and read a few things here and there and it looked like it's going to be funny as hell (no pun intended).

Anybody else read this one? What'd you think if you did?