PDA

View Full Version : beeees

Nancy
08-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about beekeeping? I'm kind of intrigued w/ it - not to write about, but to do.

I noticed that my Russsian sage plants have about 100 honey bees on them. Do you suppose the honey would be sage-flavored?

OK, I'll bet back to work....

awatkins
08-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Sage-flavored honey. Hmmmm....no, thanks. lol

My grandpa kept bees and it was wonderful having fresh honey with every meal and getting to chew the waxy combs. Ahhh....

I remember he kept the hives in white wooden box-looking things scattered around the property. Can't recall much about gathering the honey, but I do remember that he got stung pretty good once when a couple of bees got inside his clothes.

oarsman
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I visit a farm near me that sells honey and veggies. They keep bees. They house them in wooden boxes and frames with a glass window on one side...it is entertaining to watch the bees through the glass. I have to fight through the kids to get in front to watch. You probably want to carefully choose where you put the boxes because the bees seem to have a definite flight path to and from the box. I know this from experience!

I guess you would need to purchase some queens and the boxes/frames. Is beekeeping equipment listed in your yellow pages?

Another idea...check out Bee Culture magazine http://www.beeculture.com/. They also have their writer's guidelines posted in case you want to bee a bee writer.

awatkins
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
hee hee, bee a bee keeper.

oarsman
08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
This link looks interesting. It's a set of free-bee online video interviews about beekeeping.
http://homegarden.expertvillage.com/interviews/beekeeping.htm

Nancy
08-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks so much for the info - you guys are the beeeeest.

Now, I better buzzzz on outta here.

Sorry, too much caffeine.......

TheIT
08-05-2006, 12:27 AM
The "Bee Hive - Bee Skip" thread in the Historical Writing forum might give you some information, too.

Does this mean I can make Beauty and the Beest jokes now? :D

Nancy
08-05-2006, 12:44 AM
he-l, yeah!