Q: cover letters and e-mail submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayama Bliss

Greetings everyone, :kiss

I thought I'd posted this last night but I see it didn't make it somehow...

When I submit via e-mail, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't use a cover letter. I've gotten responses whether I did or didn't.

What about you? Do you or don't you? D:wha Does it really matter?

(I send approximately 98% of my subs by e-mail.)

Thanks everyone.

Arisa81

When I submit via e-mail, I don't write an entire one page cover letter, but I give sort of an intro.
I place the submission at the bottom of the page after my end greeting. It seems to work.

I would also be interested in what others do.

April :star

RichMar

email cover letters

Hadn't much thought about it, but the protocol, whatever the medium, should be the same. One should be conveying the same info via snail mail as they would with email. Electronic digits need to enlighten the editor the same as they would with ink. Don't confuse the message with the medium.

maestrowork

Re: email cover letters

I always do an intro letter:

Dear [Editor's Name]:

[What this is about.] Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
[My name]

----------
[the rest of the submission package follows]

mammamaia

go by their guidelines!

if they haven't got any posted, then they're probably not a legit agency/publisher... the legit ones will give you the info you need to submit either a query or a ms... if it looks legit and you can't find the guidelines, email and ask for them... that's what a pro would do... if you act like a pro, folks'll think you are one...

best of luck with your work... love and hugs, maia

Kayama Bliss

thanks maestro. when i have done a cover letter with an e-mail submission, it's similar to yours.

glad to know i'm in the right neighborhood, just haven't made it to the right address yet. :grin

maestrowork

You're welcome.

I agree that you should follow the publisher's guidelines and make sure you send everything they ask for (synopsis, bio, etc.) but it's always courteous to include a brief intro in your email to let them know what the heck you're writing to them for. It makes it look more professional then simply core dumping your "proposal" on them.

Kayama Bliss

Re: go by their guidelines!

yes mum. :) thank you mum. :kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.