stuck on launchpad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

restin wells

I'm so glad I found ya'll on the forum, as it's like talking to real people, who just happen to be experts in just what i need to know more about. I'm not a pro writer , but mainly an artist who burns and yearns with the belief I have important things to show an' tell the world. I've worked hard to learn grammar to put the text on with my artworks. I've studied like heck to learn how to make a professional:smack cover and query letter, etc. I now have a "package" of the letter and chapters to show a publisher or agent of my choice. But there's where the show stops. I've been to several on-line forums and have a looong black list of publishers and agents who have scammed or neglected their writers. I look in Writer's Market and don't have a clue as to who can be trusted. There's a forum on line that rates publishers and agents, but I still can't decide. I do know to look for someone who is interested in picture books and didactic stories, as that is my category, I think. Any ideas for how to get the nerve up to let my baby go with a stranger?:smack

Tish Davidson

Check out the preditors and editors website if you haven't been there already.
If an agent is interested, remember these rules:

Don't pay money for representation.
Ask the agent for a list of clients and books he/she has sold in the past 2 years
Don't feel pushed into signging a contract - a legit agent will let you review it with a lawyer if you want to.
Make sure you understand what the contract says - read the fine print. If you don't understand it, pay a lawyer to interpret it.
Remember that if you book is good enough to attract one legit agent, it is good enough to attract another. Don't sign with someone you don't like or feel comfortable with.

mammamaia

good advice!

tish is right on target:thumbs ... hugs t'ya both, maia

Status
Not open for further replies.