Man is my life story fascinating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so I wrote down this memoir type thing about my life. Not to get published, but just for me. It was very therapeutic and enjoyable to get on paper and probably unreadable to anyone else.

It has almost no dialogue or scenes. It's just a long explanation of me. What is that called?

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
cool

navel-gazing, I see. I love words. Thank you very much. I am happy I know a new phrase.

It's considered readable material?

I dont understand how people write memoirs. Writing about yourself is painful and incredibly difficult to analyze.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some people just call it journaling.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
nicegrrl said:
It's considered readable material?
It depends. Is it fascinating and is it well written? And will people want to know? These are the things that separate memoir from self-indulgence.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
fascinating, yes. Will people want to know? It's teribly written, but otherwise I think so. I could post it here, but seriously. It's about the worst thing I ever wrote. I put my heart into it and I just cant look back and think "no, this is not what this needs" I just keep writing and its just so random. At times it's whiny and ranty and at others it just lists facts. It's so disorganized, but yeah- it is totally interesting stuff.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In that format, it sounds, as alleycat said, like journaling. It's great that you got so much out of the experience!

You could post it, certainly, but weigh that against how much you want us to know. I'm sure you'll receive excellent feedback.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
God, this is weird, but I'm gonna do it. Perks, you are the best. You always make me happy.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
I am not easy. My poontang is like the forbidden city. No one can enter!

just kidding. Sure. I'm easy. It's one of my Perks.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
make this your title and you'll sell a million.

I have had some great laughs since I've joined this forum, but this one takes the cake, William!

Also, be sure to take your journal with you whenever you travel. Jot down the funny things you hear, about the people you see and meet and most of all the silly things that you do or happen to you when you are extremely tired. This will present you with a lot of laughs later on.

When I went to Europe with a girlfriend, I journaled on the plane ride over, during the day and before I went to sleep, and on the way home! I had a blast and I can always go back read my entries, and remember when I feel the draw to go back without leaving the house.

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
I kept a diary until a guy I dated somehow ended up in my apartment (go figure), read “nice guy, probably too straight for me,” and held it up accusingly (well don’t go reading other peoples diaries you fool).

I do love going back and reading those teen thoughts – I love me as a teen, I want to reach up and pull all my hair out, and give me a huge hug simultaneously. Those early sexual encounters are hilarious

Nicegrrl I'm sure yours is fantastic too. To you that is.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Nicegrrl's piece about her life is actually very engaging, not to say shocking. You should go read it; it's posted on the 'share your work - other' forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.