Support of Loved Ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melina

When I told my dad that I was trying to build a career in freelance writing, he literally laughed at me. I was mortified. Obviously, I'm just getting started, so I'm not going to be quitting my day job any time soon. I don't have any illusions about how tough it is to make a living as a writer, but to laugh? My mother, sister and boyfriend also had lukewarm responses when I told them. HELLO!!! I NEED ENCOURAGEMENT!! Jeez--even if they dothink it's ridiculous, they should at least not be so blatant. I'm not the kind of person that has a new scheme all the time, I've always been responsible and pretty successful at anything I've tried. I just can't believe the reactions I'm getting. Is it just me? Has this happened to any of you? Is there some stereotype of writers about which I'm unaware? Whassup??!!:huh

veingloree

I tend to be a bit defensive, say nothing til I can show them my name in print... :grin

Maryn

Close to the Vest

Oh, good idea! Perhaps the thing to do is not mention it again to those whose support was a reasonable expectation and so conspicuously absent. Pursue your freelancing zealously but quietly.

Maybe it'd be fair not to show family your name in print that first time. Celebrate your publishing successes with friends. Word will filter back to your relatives in due time, especially as your credits mount.

That's where it gets very sweet. When your dad says, "Why didn't you tell us?" (and you know he will!), you can take the high road and laugh heartily, then say nothing more about their failure to encourage your now-successful plans.

Maryn, offering encouragement snd support!

Tish Davidson

Re: Close to the Vest

I heard Robert Crais, the very successful mystery/suspense novelist, talk at a conference. He said his dad still thought he should have finished his engineering degree, so that he "could have something solid to fall back on" in case he didn't make it as a writer. (this despite a huge sales track record and the fact that several of his books have been optioned as movies).
So you are in good company.

RichMar

Yep

You just don't get the same support as when you say you want to be a doctor or a lawyer.

Arisa81

I do nothing

That seems to be the view of everyone around me.

Because I don't go out to a regular 9-5 job and bring home a regular paycheck I am continually asked by my bf's family if I am working YET. I've mentioned my writing to them when they say this, but it's just blown off really.

Luckily his dad is actually interested in my writing, and whenever I see him he asks about what I've been doing. That kinda makes up for the rest.

So should I actually photo copy my published works and pass them around? hehehe...I'd feel a bit silly doing that, but how do you get the message across?

My dad is 85% supportive. He urges me to keep going but ALWAYS mentions how he hopes I get paid for my stuff.

Sorry, I know I went a little off topic.

April:star

Lori Basiewicz

Family dynamics differ, but my advice is to find and take support where you can. Eventually you will find a friend or relative who will be interested enough in your writing career to always inquire as to how it is going and to listen attentively enough for you to talk about it. They are gold. Value them.

As your freelancing career develops, you may have to have a bit of a tantrum, or whatever you do in your family, to make them realize a little support wouldn't be amiss, but if you stick with it and take your writing seriously, they will begin to do so, too.

Melina

Yep-

I'll just keep plugging away. Eventually, I will have something tangible to show them. Thank you all, again, for your words of encouragement. This is where I will go, from now on, for the support I crave. I really appreciate your taking the time...
:kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.