Welcome, newbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolutewrite

Hi there. Come on in and introduce yourself!

I'm Jenna, the editor-in-chief of AbsoluteWrite.com. I'm the author of eight books, and I have a birthmark shaped like a sideways heart on my elbow.

And that's me in a nutshell.

seagreen418

Hello,
My name is SeaGreen. I, like the rest of you, am on the exciting quest of writing my first novel.
I have written lyrics for local gospel, r/b, and country artists, but I"ve always felt that I have so much more to say. The stories that I carry scream from inside me. They wan't to be told.
Through my hard work, lots of prayer, and sheer determination, I will accomplish my goals.
I stumbled onto this site by mistake, but it will now be a staple on my computer. I would love to meet and network with some of you guys, so all responses are welcomed and appreciated(and needed!)
good luck to all who have a dream for we are the ones who walk the fine, frustratingly happy line of reality and fiction!!

batyler65

Welcome SeaGreen!

Interesting background! I've tried song lyrics, but never seem to get them finished. Good luck in your writing!

Barb

jobythebay

Hi, well I only found you because I am one of the stories in Jenna's latest book. I love to write and have a "book" that if nothing else will be a legacy to my kids! I'm glad I found this forum, though, because I would like to submit some articles to magazines, etc. and get paid! jo

gia052505

Do you have any info to offer on submitting song lyrics?

The 2nd post is a good example of how a simple comma can change the whole direction of a sentence, huh?
(I like all of you...)

And why is Jenna in a nutshell?

It's sad how so easily distracted I get.

McInnes

No Way!

Gia does not think too much!!!!

OMG...she has the natural question asking asking skills that all great writers possess!!! :b

Why is the sky blue?
Why is Jenna in a nutshell...

absolutewrite

Re: No Way!

Jenna climbs out of her nutshell and into some warm P.J.s...

There, I feel much less constricted now!

writebrain

hello there.

Hi. I am new to this board (obviously).

I just happened across it looking for some information on Kaplan LP greeting cards. It looks like you are a nice bunch of people with a wealth of information and knowledge to share, so I thought I would join and introduce myself.

My name is Kim and I am an advertising copywriter by trade. I took some time off to have a baby and be a full-time mom. Now I am trying to start doing some freelance work. I want to do advertising work as well as use my mommy experience to write other things as well -- like essays or articles or something. I'm not completely sure. I would also like to try my hand at greeting card writing, since it is sort of along the lines of my copywriting experience.

I just bought the 2003 writer's market book, the guide selling freelance writing for magazines without selling out (or somthing like that) Jenna's book (the more than anyone needs to know... one) and the guide to writing greeting cards and such.

But enough about me. What do you think about me?

eraser

hello there

lol.

I think you're all right write. You've made a terrific start. Now all you have to do is memorize all the stuff in those fine tomes.

Oh yeah.....and THEN write brilliant stuff and sell it.

:)

You'll be fine. Welcome to the club.

batyler65

Jenna's coming out!

Oh, Jenna, I'm so glad to see you climb out of your shell! :lol

Thanks for adding this forum!
Any ideas for culling the board to create a FAQ thread? I'd be happy to help in my spare time. (It might take a while)

Barb

eraser

Re: FAQ

Great idea Barb!

And an even BETTER one that you are nominating yourself to do it!

<eraser seconds the motion>

batyler65

Re: FAQ

Eraser,
I thought it was only fair, since I asked Jenna to add this forum. Besides, I thought it might save both of us some wear and tear since we seem to field a lot of questions.

Psst, you're welcome to help. ;)

Barb

DesertScribe

a nuts & bolts question....

howdie all,
I posted the following question to the Journalism section a while back and no one replied.... so here goes again...

Can anyone tell me the best way (ie most professional form) to send "clips" that are required?
And any tips on this anyone has would be appreciated.

thanks.

batyler65

Re: a nuts & bolts question....

Ah, here comes a FAQ now...

I'm going to post an answer here, and stick copy it to the newly created and under construction FAQ section.

When sending clips you can do one of two things:

Make a good quality photo copy of the item. On the clip make a note of the date and publication in which it appeared.
Just be sure that the copy is clea and easy to read.

OR

Send a tearsheet from the actual publication with the same note.

No special packaging is required (Unless noted in the writer's guidelines). Send two or three of your best, most relevant clips in the appropriate sized envelope with your query.

SnowReyvin

Re: a nuts & bolts question....

Hi. I'm Kristin, but I like the name Griffon. My friend gave it to me. I'm almost 16, and my one true passion is writing. I've attended a writer's workshop on a scholarship. I was one of the top twelve student writers in the state.
I like writing fantasy, nonfiction, historical fiction, a little mystery, comedy, my life stories, parodies, and many other genres.
I know I'm kind of young, but I'm hoping to meet some people who can help me out.
--Griffon

eraser

Hiya

Welcome Kristin/Griffon. I knew I was going to be a writer at 15 too.

I'm 51 now, and I was right!

peacockgirl

I'm a young writer too

Hi Griffin,

I too am a young writer, having just turned 16 less than two months ago. Better to start early I'd say. I just found this forum and thought i'd introduce myself.

My name's Amy, and I'm a junior in high school. I do all kinds of writing, but i prefer fantasy and light science fiction. I'm currently working on a contemporary fantasy/sci-fi novel, but school keeps me from devoting much time to it. I also work for the teen section of the local newspaper, and have had a few poems published in a small poetry magazine.

That's pretty much it for now. I also raise peafowl, hence my username.

Hope to get to know some of you in the future,

~Amy

lovetowrite

not just another writer

I am a writer too--not just another writer. A good writer. I have written a romance novel "The Perfect Cowboy" and am working at getting it published, made into a movie, and of course, starting a sequel. I have
also written (in progress--adding more to it) a non-fiction book "Words Worth Remembering"--a positive
thinking, inspirational, success-motivating book--and
am writing various articles to start a newsletter to help
publish it online (also learning html and web page design)
on my soon to be published web site. I also am planning another web site with horse training articles (went to
horse training school in my younger days) to help sell my novel. I would like to ask writebrain what it's like to be an
advertising copywriter.

pencilsharpener

Feeling like a small fish in an ocean

Hi there! I'm writing from the boonies but its beautiful here. A great place to write from. I started writing a non-fiction book for Christian women about a year ago. My research, thanks in part to websites like this one, has encouraged me to prepare myself for the publishing industry by breaking in with magazine articles. I've come up with endless ideas but finish the ones that come from the heart. I haven't sold one yet but have queried a few Christian woman's mags.. I was excited to get a positive response to a query letter; can't wait to get a favorable response to an article! :D

Just wondering how a nobody from nowhere can get a book editor to look at her; no connections, no Christian writers groups here. Any ideas?

mammamaia

how to get noticed...

go googling!... there are lots of christian e-zines and print mags out there and they all have websites... just put 'christian magazines' or whatever in the google search window and then surf the results, sending queries to all that seem appropriate for your work...

serious writers use 'writers market' as their marketing bible and you can now subscribe to their online version, but i'd strongly recommend getting the print version also, as you can mark yr pages, make notes, etc... plus it's easier to refer to while online...

if you need help with yr writings or queries, you can contact me at:
[email protected]

i mentor writers of all kinds all over the world, for free...

love and hugs, maia

RachelBuck

Intro

Hi, my name is Rachel Buck, and I'm a professional freelance writer. My husband and I quit our day jobs in October (he's a film composer) so that we could both freelance from home.

You'll find my clips and credentials at www.rachelbuck.com

I'm working on three e-books and trying to figure out how to market them and make money. I've been researching the whole e-book phenomena and have been both disappointed and impressed with what I've read.

I write non-fiction articles for Creating Keepsakes, Simple Scrapbooks, and other assorted magazines.

Stay in touch,
Rachel

dang13

Intro

Hi All,

My name is Dan, I live in Italy after 4 years in Korea. I have one book to my credit, a history book for kids, and another series of six on the way. I am trying to find a few different markets and feeling a bit overwhelmed right now with options and choices, not to mention trying to find time to actually write.

I like to write non-fiction travel stories and am trying to find markets for that. I am also looking for "outsider/foreigner" markets here in Italy, as well as translation jobs.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. thanks and good luck to all!

LeeB16

Just found you

Hello Jenna,
Just found the site. What are the titles of your books?
I write Westerns and have one published.
Best to you
Lee

TryThrice

Newbie Mystery--How Original is a Magazine Article Idea?

Hi All,

I've read most of the articles on several writer's sites, studied Writer's Market, several writing books, and dissected back issues of potential magazines.

Gardening magazines, for example, cover the same topics every year. Often an article will trigger a need for more information, or an idea for a different slant on the same general topic.

So, where is the boundary between treading on the writer's toes and the generation of a new idea?

Thanks,

TryThrice: Attempting a career change to mag writing, following IT & software marketing career meltdown, meanwhile spouse pushes self toward a job, any job...

Status
Not open for further replies.