• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

query question

Status
Not open for further replies.

on_the_verge

Banned
Reaction score
I'm about to mail to a bunch of agents. But what if I decide months from now that my query isn't good enough? I already picked out the best agents for my kind of writing. If the query isn't good, all that research is wasted along with my fighting chance at getting an agent. Or can I re-query an agent?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Tough question. A part of your post, however, troubles me a little: If you're already questioning your query letter, then perhaps you really need to take a look at it again and make sure it's the best it can be.

Considering posting it in our Share Your Work section for critiques. We have a specific place for query letters. The password is VISTA.

Otherwise, I'd just start small (don't send out thirty queries a day) and see what kind of feedback you receive.

on_the_verge

Banned
Reaction score
thank you

Thank you. And thanks for your responses to my other post.

This is the most nerve-wracking part of trying to be a legitimate writer. The fate of my whole career, everything I've been working up to for five years or so, rests on this one letter.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I've never found queries to be that difficult (and I've had good success with them). As long as you keep in mind the idea of "Grab them from the get-go".

You need to lead off with a very brief yet intriguing description that makes them wonder "Why" and How does this work out?"

Think mini- back- of- book- blurb

Status
Not open for further replies.