Zombies

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love reading zombie fiction. Is anyone really into this also and do you write it?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I have a short zombie story on SYW right now. Maybe you could reccomend me some good zombie fiction as I don't seem to run across it every day.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a zombie short story at The Harrow--check it out if you like.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
A few years ago, I happened to catch "Return of the Living Dead" 4 or 5, I can't remember which one and it made me excited about zombies all over again. The reason for that was because instead of the typical instantaneous reaction of "get bit by zombie turn into zombie" it was about a girl who gradually turned into a zombie. Granted, it (the film) wasn't all that good but it was still a great idea since it was more about the gradual mental degradation as opposed to loads of folks being turned into zombie food.

So far I've done three tales on this concept. Two, technically, are the same story written for different audiences (one is for kids where the zombies eat pies instead of brains. The other for adults with all the blood and gore required of such a tale) and the other was about a disease that mimicked zombie behavior and I got the idea from this site:

The Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
brainstorm77 said:
I love reading zombie fiction. Is anyone really into this also and do you write it?

I've written one zombie story, but it was bereft of flesh eating and the other cliches of zombie fiction. It was really an analogy with victims of "brain damage" (such as stroke, illness) that rob people of their inner identity, but keep their outward identity.

I've never really read much zombie fiction - one I can remember is a crumby Shaun Hutson novel I read as a kid (Deathday) which was full of cliches.

TO be honest, I like zombie movies, but in fiction I prefer them to be used as more than "facless monsters". That I find as boring as vampires and werewolves.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I've only seen one zombie movie, the new 'Dawn of the Dead' and it was terrible. However, I have an idea for a zombie story in my head, to do with the traditional Haitian zombie.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
bsolah said:
I've only seen one zombie movie, the new 'Dawn of the Dead' and it was terrible. However, I have an idea for a zombie story in my head, to do with the traditional Haitian zombie.

Check out Hammer's "Plague of the Zombies", which is about the traditional zombie (IE No Flesh eating) set in Cornish Tin mines.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Of course there is Brian Keene's Books... which were great :) also check out David Wellington's 'Monster Island'

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the new Dawn of the Dead, it was good for a remake.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I never heard of that one.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Are you a fan of the slow, lumbering zombies of yesteryear, or the more modern hyper-fast fleshhunting zombies?

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
I prefer the slow and lumbering type. Not only for the potential hilarity of being caught by one, but how they can be underestimated when they're in groups. It's like "La di da, I can outrun those two slowpokes" and then "CRAP! I'm surrounded! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I like the whole break down of society that is often not shown enough in the movies :)

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm, i think its stupid when Zombies are all rotted and they run like a champion sprinter!! I personally think with the new Dawn of the Dead they should have slowed a bit as time passed and they became more rotted.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Bmwhtly said:
That is the least of the new Dawn of the Deads problems.
Personally, I prefered the original Day of the Dead, although I'm not looking forward to the remake at all.

They are remaking Day of the Dead???? When should it be released?

Last edited:

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
A friend of mine named Gene Stewart has a story called "Zombie Love" in the recent zombie-oriented anthology "Cold Flesh." I haven't read the anthology,
but his story was amusing... if one can couple the words amusing and zombie.
http://www.exit66.net/cold.htm
Zombies seem to be "in" now. I've never written a zombie story, but it would be interesting to try.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
brainstorm77 said:
They are remaking Day of the Dead???? When should it be released?

Not sure, but I know Ving Rhames was cast in the Captain Rhodes role, which could be cool. (Day is my least favorite of the Dead series, although it has its moments; I'm curious to see what they'll do with a remake.)

Oh, and I dig zombies. They scare the crap out of me- and I'm writing a novel about 'em right now. ([plug]Check the sig.[/plug])

Nice avatar, by the way; Return of the Living Dead is one of my all-time favorites.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Marlowe said:
Not sure, but I know Ving Rhames was cast in the Captain Rhodes role, which could be cool. (Day is my least favorite of the Dead series, although it has its moments; I'm curious to see what they'll do with a remake.)

Oh, and I dig zombies. They scare the crap out of me- and I'm writing a novel about 'em right now. ([plug]Check the sig.[/plug])

Nice avatar, by the way; Return of the Living Dead is one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks I love ROTLD also :) Trash aka Linnea Quigley is awesome!

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Its hard to find zombie themed novels... i have read all that i have discovered.... does anyone have any they know of?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am Legend. Or is that more a vampire story?

Can't really think of any others off the top of my head.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't front, I like the zombies that show some hustle. They're scarier to me. Does it make sense? Nah, but neither does a reanimated cadaver eating brains or human flesh for sustenance.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would make sense to assume that the more you decay you would slow down just a tad LMAO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.