PDA

View Full Version : A question...

Godfather
08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I posted a similar question in the poetry forum,
but I'll change it slightly here.

I read something somewhere, and somebody used the phrase 'you'll be singing along with abandon'. I think I know what that means.

Anyway, I was writing something, and I want to say that this place is empty, deserted. So I'm thinking (something like) 'the site hummed with abandon', does that mean what I want it to mean?

three seven
08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
No. If you do something with abandon, it means you're doing it large; you've abandoned your restraint and inhibitions, thrown caution to the wind etc. 'The site hummed with abandon', therefore, conjures quite a bizarre image. ;)

Jamesaritchie
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I posted a similar question in the poetry forum,
but I'll change it slightly here.

I read something somewhere, and somebody used the phrase 'you'll be singing along with abandon'. I think I know what that means.

Anyway, I was writing something, and I want to say that this place is empty, deserted. So I'm thinking (something like) 'the site hummed with abandon', does that mean what I want it to mean?

No, but what about "Hummed with abandonment?"

three seven
08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I was on the verge of suggesting that, but it's terrible so I didn't. Shame on you.

Jamesaritchie
08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
I was on the verge of suggesting that, but it's terrible so I didn't. Shame on you.

Unfortunately, "hummed" and any word I can think of that means abandoned, deserted, desolate, etc., just don't go well together. They seem opposites. Desolation is quiet, hummed is not.

Godfather
08-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I actually like the hums with desolation... mind if i use it?

three seven
08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty sure neither of us wants to use it. And in fact if someone presented me that line for critique, I might actually be forced to kill them. In the face.

Jamesaritchie
08-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Well, I won't be using it.

Godfather
08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
joke!