Not open for further replies.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a similar question in the poetry forum,
but I'll change it slightly here.

I read something somewhere, and somebody used the phrase 'you'll be singing along with abandon'. I think I know what that means.

Anyway, I was writing something, and I want to say that this place is empty, deserted. So I'm thinking (something like) 'the site hummed with abandon', does that mean what I want it to mean?

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No. If you do something with abandon, it means you're doing it large; you've abandoned your restraint and inhibitions, thrown caution to the wind etc. 'The site hummed with abandon', therefore, conjures quite a bizarre image. ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Godfather said:
I posted a similar question in the poetry forum,
but I'll change it slightly here.

I read something somewhere, and somebody used the phrase 'you'll be singing along with abandon'. I think I know what that means.

Anyway, I was writing something, and I want to say that this place is empty, deserted. So I'm thinking (something like) 'the site hummed with abandon', does that mean what I want it to mean?

No, but what about "Hummed with abandonment?"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
terrible

three seven said:
I was on the verge of suggesting that, but it's terrible so I didn't. Shame on you.

Unfortunately, "hummed" and any word I can think of that means abandoned, deserted, desolate, etc., just don't go well together. They seem opposites. Desolation is quiet, hummed is not.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure neither of us wants to use it. And in fact if someone presented me that line for critique, I might actually be forced to kill them. In the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.