We have a special k diet support thread - what about a low carb one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes. I have heard how "dangerous" a low carb diet is. I can't agree with that, really. That's mostly because every time I have cut carbs back I have lost weight, felt better, had more energy and most importantly, I have kept it (weight) off! The last time, several years ago, I lost 50 pounds and kept it off for 5 years. It didn't start creeping back until a few months ago when we moved here. Most of my normal activities changed for the worse.

Most of the horror stories I hear about diets like Atkins say that the 2 week induction phase is the diet in whole. That isn't the case. Whenever you hear about "No fruit, no grains, super high intake of protein and fat is bad for you", well after the first two weeks that part is modified a lot.

So I started on Atkins again last Friday and this morning I am down 9 pounds. A girl at work started it almost a month ago and is down 20 pounds.

How many of you have tried some form of a low carb diet or are considering it?

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I cut down on my carbs, but follow my own calorie diet. Diet is a way of life, not a fast fix, so I try to eat healthy. All food groups are allowed, except I eat carbs before 3:00 PM. I refuse to deny myself any kinds of food.

I started several years ago, sick of gaining weight and complaining. Within 6 months, without exercise, I dropped 3 sizes – NEVER WEIGH MYSELF. When I started working out, I dropped another size.

Within the past 6 months, I haven’t done too good and put on some weight. I finally stepped up to the plate, and already feel better. I monitor calories, hike up fruits and vegetables, eat about every two hours, and workout 30 to 40 minutes a day. Hopefully, I will drop back down the 1-1/2 sizes I put on. That’s my diet story.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The trick with a good low-carb diet is to ALSO make sure you stay low-fat. Original Atkins said "as much fat as you want" -- and that's since been refuted.

But I agree. I lost 40 pounds once on Atkins. Low-carb certainly works. But I'm a carb-addict, and I succumbed to the lure of baked potatoes.

:(

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's sort of my policy as well. I am not looking at this form the perspective of high protein. More like cutting WAY back on sugar/carbs, especially at night.

Unfortunately that is the very best time in the world for chocolate, popcorn, potato chips, ice cream, etc...

Reaction score
The key to a successful diet is
A. Low calories
B. Low Carbs.
C. High Protein
D. And most important a LOW or VERY VERY LOW sodium intake.

And moderate excercise.

Thrilly Diet
Day 1:
Breakfast: Nothing
Lunch: Apple
Dinner: Small piece of skinless, chicken breast.
Late Snacks: Raisins or carrots or a little sugarfree jello.

Drink 8 big glasses of water.

Day 2-7: Repeat.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Since last Friday, I haven't eaten any bread, pasta or cookies. I did have a Breyers low carb ice cream bar the other night (ok ....... I had two.)

And I have been walking. 3 nights in the past week, I walked 2 miles, and the other days I have done some walking - walking around a zoo yesterday and walking around our land everyday (5 acres.)

And I feel thinner. For real.

No chocolate or cake or pie. But I feel thinner. I don't have a scale.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I don't have a scale.
Me neither.

Well, I do own one but after what it said I weighed this morning, my scale is dead to me. Now. . .now, I have no scale.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a scale for years. When I bought one, I almost died. I must have stepped off and on 10 times before I believed what that number said. Ugh.

But!

As of this morning, I have lost 10 whole pounds, 1 1/2 inches from my waist and 2 1/2 inches from my hips.

:D

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
The key to a successful diet is
A. Low calories
B. Low Carbs.
C. High Protein
D. And most important a LOW or VERY VERY LOW sodium intake.

And moderate excercise.

That's pretty much what I am doing. I call it Atkins because that is where I got my food lists, but really I'm not counting anything (carbs, protein intake)

The only thing I am having a tough time with is accepting that there are carbs in coffee creamer (Cremora). NO one would want to see what I am like if I don't have my coffee, and I don't do liquid creamers, including milk.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
If there are carbs in coffee creamer, then I have been eating carbs.

But, only one or teaspoons a day.

And, like Carole - I do not do milk.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I think we should have a diet support thread for people on different diets, trying different things, that way we can all talk about what we're doing, how we're doing, and see what other's are doing and how it is working for them. We don't all have to be on the SAME diet to be a support to each other, right? That's what we need, just a plain ol' Diet Support Thread.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
storygirl said:
I think we should have a diet support thread for people on different diets, trying different things, that way we can all talk about what we're doing, how we're doing, and see what other's are doing and how it is working for them. We don't all have to be on the SAME diet to be a support to each other, right? That's what we need, just a plain ol' Diet Support Thread.
I'm with you on this support thread regarding diet and progress. It helps to know there are others tackling their weight right along with you.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Carole said:
That's pretty much what I am doing. I call it Atkins because that is where I got my food lists, but really I'm not counting anything (carbs, protein intake)

The only thing I am having a tough time with is accepting that there are carbs in coffee creamer (Cremora). NO one would want to see what I am like if I don't have my coffee, and I don't do liquid creamers, including milk.

Ah, but Carole--there are low- and no- carb powdered coffee creamers, too! Coffeemate to the rescue! I use the flavored ones, so I can't say whether or not there are regular cream (?) flavored ones. Also, another trick--you can put Cool Whip in your coffee. It's non-dairy, has low carbs. And they now have a sugar-free version with no carbs! Try Cool Whip in diet A & W root beer for a no carb root beer float! It's actually good!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Pam, the creamer I have in the kitchen has 1 gram per teaspoon. Unfortunately it takes about 3 tsp in my coffee to make it like I like it.

Melina, I haven't found low carb creamers yet. I think I will have to look harder!

As for progress, I was down 10 pounds this morning, but this evening I am down 11. My son even notices! He told me that I do look a lot different from when I started.

OH!! I totally forgot! You will NEVER guess who I saw today. Dan's dad. The EX JERK FACE. Also, his lovely lemon sucking wife. (that's how she looks, anyway...very sour) It was too funny. He tried everything in the world to not look at me. I tried everything in the world to keep from laughing. He was passing through Knoxville and wanted to take Dan to lunch. Awfully nice of him after how nasty he's been.

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
This morning I happened upon a blog written by two fat sisters trying to lose weight. (Not members here........I don't think.)

Anyway - they aren't doing very well because one said she gained 4 lbs the first week of August. Also - these women are obese and it should be easy to lose a few lbs - just by walking, no?

Anyway - here's the problem as I see it: one sister was so happy that she found a cake recipe that was ok'd by weight watchers. You blend a cake mix and a can of pineapple and bake it. She said she could eat the whole cake and it wasn't too bad,

THat's the problem! Thin people do not eat entire cakes! Nor do they want to!

And, if you are trying to lose weight - you have no business succumbing to cake in any form.

There should be no cake mixes in your house to tempt you if you are that weak.
AND - nevermind the fact that there is nothing healthy about eating a cake mix and a can of pineapple.

What is the point of eating it? Just to shove sugar tasting crap over your tongue? You're doing nothing but eating crap!

Preservatives, colors, oils, fats and sugars. And canned pineapple isn't really fruit, in my opinion.

Eat raw fruits! Eat lean meats and vegetables!

Don't eat desserts - that's what made you obese in the first place.

Diets like WW that try to get you to eat small portions of cakes and crap are not doing you any favors, in my opinion. You should be focused on learning how to eat healthy foods and moving her body - not being worried about how much cake mix you can eat.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
WW is an institution. I have known numerous people who have tried and failed at WW over and over, for years and years and years. That should tell you something, shouldn't it?

As for the cake, holy freakin cripes!!! Portion control, ID10TS. How on earth could they ever think they could lose weight and keep it off without learning the most fundamental thing about a normal diet - portion control. Good grief.

It's sad, though. There are so many people out there spouting off about how you can eat as much as you want of this and that and the other thing if only you do this one little thing. Like take their pill or eat their brand or whatever it happens to be. It's like everyone wants that magic crutch.

I have to say that I am not taking any diet aids at all, even though it is a multi-million$$ industry.

How about a little self discipline! I know that lack of self discipline is a major part of why I gained the weight that I did over the past few months.

*still reeling over someone eating a WHOLE FREAKIN CAKE!!!*

IMO, eating a piece of cake shouldn't be a big deal at all, BUT only once in a while. I don't think I have ever had the routine of dessert after dinner. In fact, the only time we DO have dessert after dinner is a very special occasion.

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Oh self-discipline has always been my downfall.

I do great for a couple of days, then boom! I get a sweet-tooth from you-know-where. I love chocolate. I love carbs. I love fat and grease and yummy-ooey-gooey foods. I love to eat. And I get insatiable cravings.

I need someone to kick my ever-widening hiney because I've been bad lately. I really want to slim down and tone up before Hubby comes home. I still have about ten pounds to go, plus A LOT of toning to do.

Where or where has my self-discipline and motivation gone?

A whole cake? Yeah, I could go for that.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
When I was a kid I knew a girl who lived about a block from me, and she was very fat - over 200 lbs in junior high.

One day she invited me over to her house and I went.

Her after-school routine was to bake a cake, eat it and clean everything up before her mom came home at 5.

I just couldn't believe she would do that, and it became very clear to me why she was so overweight at such a young age.

Now, I know there was some kind of misery there that she fed with food ............and I have sympathy for her - but being overweight like that certainly couldn't have made her feel good, either.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Story! Your hair is so LONG! Wow! You are so cute =) Your hubby is going to be thrilled to see you regardless of whether you lose 10 pounds, tone up or not!

I do know of an exercise program that works UBER fast if you are interested. i could send you the e-book. I should be doing it because I know firsthand how fast it works, but I just don't have the motivation for it right now. It's like the new diet is taking my focus at the moment. I'll get into it soon, though. I tried on a bathing suit today and I would have bought it except that my legs really need toning.

Have you ever noticed that even guys who are VERY overweight still don't have flabby legs? You can see a guy at the beach with a big beer gut and his legs will still be just fine. Where is the equality? That is what I want to know!

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
Story! Your hair is so LONG! Wow! You are so cute =) Your hubby is going to be thrilled to see you regardless of whether you lose 10 pounds, tone up or not!
Ah shucks, you make me blush.

I do know of an exercise program that works UBER fast if you are interested. i could send you the e-book. I should be doing it because I know firsthand how fast it works, but I just don't have the motivation for it right now.
Sure, I'd love it, and I soooo could use it.

Have you ever noticed that even guys who are VERY overweight still don't have flabby legs? You can see a guy at the beach with a big beer gut and his legs will still be just fine. Where is the equality? That is what I want to know!
I know!!!! What is up with that? Not fair, not fair at all, I tell ya.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Yes! I feel thinner already. Even my husband said so.

Only 8 days without fatty foods .........haven't been starving by any means - but just haven't been shoving brownies or muffins into my face - and the extra flab is melting away.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:

The guys use those leg muscles to lug all that beer gut around.... :)

I second the 'generic diet support' thread...or third it....or whatever. I'm not on a low carb diet....just a healthier eating/more exercising diet and have lost 16 pounds now. The healthier eating part has been cutting out almost all beef and pork, eating more fruits/veges, reducing portion sizes a bit, drinking more ice water, eating low/no cholesterol, low/no fat foods more and the exercising part has been to add more walking (and some biking) to my daily/weekly life. We live in a split level so I will sometimes climb the stairs a few more times each day too. That's it really. I still eat desserts from time to time, small portions (no 'entire cake' desserts!!) just as an extra treat but I try to keep my total daily calories under a certain number (a men's health magazine suggested for men to take your target weight, multiply it by 15 and that should be your total daily calorie intake - some women have said that would be too much for them, so perhaps that number is only for men though I rarely hit or exceed that number.)

Good luck to all of you on your weight loss goals. :)

Take care -

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Men need a significantly higher calorie intake. I never thought that was fair, really.

Oh! You mentioned no fat food. I hope you man naturally no fat because the packaged fat free stuff usually uses SUGAR and a lot of artificial stuff to make it taste better. That's particularly true with salad dressings and the fat free cookies you see on the shelves.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Oh! You mentioned no fat food. I hope you man naturally no fat because the packaged fat free stuff usually uses SUGAR and a lot of artificial stuff to make it taste better. That's particularly true with salad dressings and the fat free cookies you see on the shelves.

I know that fat free isn't sugar free. Aren't 3 Muskateers Bars fat free? It would be wishful thinking that you can eat those and lose weight.

Actually - I'm not eating any dressing on my salad right now. A dob of olive oil and vinegar or nothing at all ......but I'm not a big dressing eater, anyway.

I'm not eating any packaged anything - at least not for another several weeks or until I am satisfied with the way I look.

Only fresh salads - which are easier to get this time of year because of farmer's markets;
fresh fruits - ditto - like peaches and pears - but only 1 a day.
Baked or grilled meat like chicken or beef or fish.

And I've had a low carb Breyer's ice cream bar when I am really wanting something different - or I drink unsweetened OJ. (Just a small can) or have a cup of hot green tea.

No breads of any kind. No pasta. No snacks unless it's a slimfast peanut butter cookie or something else slimfast - and then, only one a day - if that.

And so far, it's gong well.

Status
Not open for further replies.