When Debt Collectors Go Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
So, for the past few months I've been having to deal with this stupid debt collection agency. They're trying to collect on a debt I owe a credit card company, blah blah blah.

I've been cooperating fully with them so far, however it is often difficult to get in contact with me as I'm either working (can't take calls of this nature at work) or just otherwise occupied.

I spoke to one agent at this agency (who was in charge of my account) a little over a month ago. When I made my first payment, I informed her of several things:

1) I am NOT to be contacted at work. I can't take personal calls and, as prescribed in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I informed her that it is "both inappropriate and inconvenient" to contact me at work.

2) It would be 90 days from my first payment until the debt would be paid in full.

3) I would make another large payment at the end of July.

4) Now that she knows the details of my payments, she will not hear from me until I make my next payment (end of July), as there really is no point in us talking (what would we talk about?).

Apparently, shortly after I made my first payment, my account was handed over to another agent. This guy proceeded to call me every day both at home and at work. He was very polite when he left his messages (at first), however I was rarely able to call him back (still haven't talked to him yet).

However, he also began calling me at work every day. I've already informed representatives of this agency 4 times (once to the first person I ever spoke to, once to my original agent's supervisor, twice to the original agent) that I am not to be contacted at work. Apparently they either didn't tell the new guy or he just didn't care.

At any rate, the calls have continued. Considering how poor I've been at being able to talk to this guy, I've let these violations of federal law slide.

But, two weeks ago he apparently got really frustrated when he called for me at work. My manager answered the phone and informed him that I wasn't there (I really wasn't). The agent then proceeded to berate my manager over the phone, asking him if he "was a Christian" and implying (strongly) that my manager was being very "unChristian" by not letting him speak to me. My manager restated that I wasn't there, and the guy then asked for my work schedule. My manager informed him that he couldn't give that out (it's a violation of state law), and the agent then called his Christianity into question again, yelled at him, and my manager hung up on him.

The next week, the agent called work again (another violation) and when he was informed that I wasn't there (I really wasn't), he said, "bullsh1t! Just go get him!" She hung up on him. He called back, she reminded him that he'd just called and that my not being there still hadn't changed. He called her a liar, she hung up on him again.

So...

Tomorrow I'm going to file a complaint with:

1) His supervisor

2) The credit card company that contracted this collection agency

3) The Federal Trade Commission

...to inform them all of his repeated violations of sections 805a (subsection 3) and 806 (subsections 2 and 5) of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

I'm sure they'll be quite interested to hear of that, especially the Collection Agency itself, considering that each violation (if I take their asses to court) carries a fine of up to $1000 per violation.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about how I'm going to light this guy's butt up tomorrow.

Wish me luck. This should be fun!

Last edited:

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Collection agencies appear to not hire folks with the best "people skills." Admittedly, this is probably because these people are lied to routinely, and they've come to assume that anyone they call is full of crap.

A few years ago, I got a call from a collection agency looking for my husband's ex wife, who had never lived at this number, or even in this state. The call went like this:

Caller: "May I speak to B____ K_____ please?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry, she's my husband's ex wife. She's never lived here."
Caller: "Oh, so this isn't B____ K_____?"
Me: "Well, no, it's not. She's never lived here."
Caller: "I'm calling regarding a debt. When will she be in?"
Me: "I'm sorry, apparently you didn't hear me. This is not her home."
Caller: "And you're not her?"
Me: "Nope."
Caller: "Oh, I doubt that very much."
Me: "Then you're a dumba$$. <click>"

HaleyDaulton

This Space for Rent
Registered
Reaction score
1400 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh, NC 27607
Website
haleydaulton.blogspot.com
PattiTheWicked said:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Haley

jackie106

Registered
Reaction score
I had a problem with debt collection agencies a few years ago. Someone who used to have my telephone number ran up a lot of debt with a lot of people. I'd get strange calls asking for someone named James.

The debt collectors would try different tactics to get me to put James on the line. Sometimes they'd pretend that they were long lost buddies trying to get in touch with a college friend. Once they even claimed that he won the lottery.

Over and over again, I'd tell them that no one by that name lived in the apartment. I stopped answering the telephone if I was home during the day unless I was expecting a call. Eventually the calls stopped, but it drove me crazy for awhile.

Jackie

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:

How exactly do you pronounce 'dumba$$'? Is it dumbadollarsigndollarsign?

;)

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you. I hope that things work out.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if you could sue the debt collector for endangering your job? I wonder if threatening to do that would have any impact.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I have a similar problem myself. AMOCO Oil company wants a few hundred $$ from me, and I'm disputing the bill. They charged me for a crap program I signed up for / cancelled and never got credit for. I think it was called Budget Savers.

Those SOB collectors call everyday - talking to my kids .........my husband, anyone who answers the phone.

I have disputed the bill - and wonder of all wonders - they found against me - and told me I have to pay them the amount in question. AND - every month they are adding late fees and interest to the account.

I told them I will not pay them on principal. So, they ruin my credit.

It's not fair. It's not fair.

AMOCO oil company wants my money, no matter how rich they are - no matter how poor I am - and no matter how the balance came to be.

The moral of the story is : hang up on phone solicitors. Don't ever agree to try anything. Just hang up = or you will regret it.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Credit cards are a corporate consipiracy to enslave us all in debt.

I've never had to deal with those calls, but I sympathize with your frustration. There's nothing more annoying, and more stroke-inspiring, than phone calls like that where the person on the other end of the phone clearly is NOT listening to your words.

*jots down another reason to be thankful for that home equity, debt-clearing loan from years ago*

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
******Jaycinth enters. instead of her traditional garb, she is wearing a gauzy Carribean outfit, lots of beads and bracelets, and is barefoot. She sits down at a table covered with arcane objects and lights several candles*****

Soooo. You got dey pro-blem wit dey debt collect-ors. Do not to wor-ry. Mamma Jay-tinth, she give you dey advice...make dem all go way. Mamma Jay, she got dey baaaaddd ju-ju for dem folk, ahhhhhh.

*****Disclaimer. This is loose advice only, based on my experience as colletee-collector-and tons of research into the business because that sink of 'creativity sucking leach swamp' is, unfortunately, what pays the stupid bills.*******

Pah-don! Mamma Jay, she go get more candles...den we chat!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Forbidden Snowflake said:
@chaostitan: Share the popcorn will you?

Here ya go, FS. :popcorn: :popcorn:

I sympathize, guys. A dear friend had a problem with debt collectors a few years ago (mostly because of a serious and honest misunderstanding of a contract). They are a very special breed of man and a lot of people have had dealings with them.

I know what we need: Chicken Soup for the People-Harassed-by-Debt-Collector's Souls.

Anyone want to submit? :e2chain:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Am I to assume, by the title of your post, that debt collectors were good at one point?

I had one that yelled at my old roommate, "I don't care that you tried to kill yourself! You owe money!"

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt, key chain, AND coffee mug.

An answering machine to screen calls helped when I went through that phase of life. (And cutting up all my plastic.)

My very own cage rattler:

Agency: May I speak to Mrs. Smith?

Me: She's in jail.

Agency: Uh. Oh. Uh. Then may I speak to MR. Smith?

Me: That's why she's in jail.

Agency: CLICK!

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
The Nature of the Evil.

*********Quick set change ala 'Matrix'...the Haitian scenery vanishes and is replaced by an unending expanse of white. I’m sitting at my desk, hair in bun, glasses on, Black suit, white shirt. Pearls. Nails and lipstick... classic Revlon Red*******

No matter if the collection agent goes to church on Sunday, Temple on Saturday and Mosque on Friday. No matter if the collection agent is the nicest person on Earth, once they walk into that office they are being paid to make your life a complete living HELL.
"Buddy, you signed the contract and we are going to get every cent out of your sorry hide by any and every means, legal and illegal that we can dream up. We get POINTS for reaming you. Feeding our families depends on what we do to you, how often and how hard. If you kill yourself, we will bring you back, (and add the hospital bill to your total and collect on that too.) We will go after your heirs, your friends, your dog and your momma.”

******stands up from perfect desk and walks around, 4” stilettos ( Fresh from Milan and very understated) clicking on the (floor?)*****

“AND, because you are so distraught over the debt, the skyrocketing interest, the phone calls and your ever so hectic life, you are not thinking straight, so you aren’t even going to use the few laws and resources available to you to make us stop or even get even for the laws we are breaking, Because we ARE breaking laws. We do it every day. We are totally amoral psychotic sociopaths and THAT is why we got the job, that is why we keep the job, and baby boo…that is why we like the job. So bend over and spread ‘em cause here we come and we don’t use lubricant.”

That, my dear students is the nature of the evil.

*********quick set change…back to the cool dimness of the Haitian swamp*****

Oh, me poor, poor dears. De vision of de hell too sca-ry for you? Ahhhh Momma Jay, she be fixin dat fo’ sure. Now, where me cat got to?...Ahhh dere he is. Eatin him a mousie he be..Such a good cat.

Now, we’s gonna take dis evil and expose it to de light, yes? We gonna stake out this evil in de sun an see how it be twitchin’.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Step one. Some remarks on the first post by Dr. Spork

So, for the past few months I've been having to deal with this stupid debt collection agency. They're trying to collect on a debt I owe a credit card company, blah blah blah.

*I will try to not ream you out for letting it get to this point. You are there and that is that. But for everyone else: Law states a company cannot turn you over to collections as long as you are making regular payments ON TIME. (Get it, ON TIME) A loophole that many states have left is that $10.00 can constitute a regular on-time payment (even if your minimum payment is $200.00). So when the bill comes in...the DAY THE BILL COMES IN, write them a check for $10.00 and mail it. You will still collect interest and late fees on the unpaid balance and you will get a call from the credititor saying “Gee I see where you only paid $10.00 and we need more than that.” Your job is to be nice and respond. “That is all I have right now, but when you send me another bill I’ll pay more.” They’ll try to negotiate. You just say...and be nice, you are being recorded… “I’m sorry that is all I can do right now. Do not call me again until you have received your next payment.” Then quickly hang up. Remember the purpose of this exercise is to lull them into not sending you to a collection agency. The creditor will work with you. The collection agency has bought your “paper”. All they have to do is collect something on it. They do not care a squat about you. Period. The original creditor does. You are better off being nice to the original creditor. Questions?*

I've been cooperating fully with them so far, however it is often difficult to get in contact with me as I'm either working (can't take calls of this nature at work) or just otherwise occupied.

*Call them. Get a number and call them. DAILY. “This is my account number. This is how much I owe. I wanted to touch base to let you know I still plan to mail you, a check for$$ on (insert date here). When you mail the payment, call them and tell them and tell them you’ve mailed it. Then call them every day to see if they’ve received it. If they ask for a payment, tell them that as soon as you know the previous payment has been processed and posted, you’ll send another one according to schedule. This will serve two purposes. One, proof that you are anxious to cooperate and two...it pisses the floor supervisors off. The person who’s handling your account will have to deal with the supervisor. Makes you smile kinda, huh?*

I spoke to one agent at this agency (who was in charge of my account) a little over a month ago. When I made my first payment, I informed her of several things:

1) I am NOT to be contacted at work. I can't take personal calls and, as prescribed in the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I informed her that it is "both inappropriate and inconvenient" to contact me at work.

2) It would be 90 days from my first payment until the debt would be paid in full.

3) I would make another large payment at the end of July.

4) Now that she knows the details of my payments, she will not hear from me until I make my next payment (end of July), as there really is no point in us talking (what would we talk about?).

Apparently, shortly after I made my first payment, my account was handed over to another agent. This guy proceeded to call me every day both at home and at work. He was very polite when he left his messages (at first), however I was rarely able to call him back (still haven't talked to him yet).

*Yep. Par for the course. You are lucky it wasn’t turned over to another agency.*

However, he also began calling me at work every day. I've already informed representatives of this agency 4 times (once to the first person I ever spoke to, once to my original agent's supervisor, twice to the original agent) that I am not to be contacted at work. Apparently they either didn't tell the new guy or he just didn't care.

At any rate, the calls have continued. Considering how poor I've been at being able to talk to this guy, I've let these violations of federal law slide.

*don’t drop the soap in a prison shower*

But, two weeks ago he apparently got really frustrated when he called for me at work. My manager answered the phone and informed him that I wasn't there (I really wasn't). The agent then proceeded to berate my manager over the phone, asking him if he "was a Christian" and implying (strongly) that my manager was being very "unChristian" by not letting him speak to me. My manager restated that I wasn't there, and the guy then asked for my work schedule. My manager informed him that he couldn't give that out (it's a violation of state law), and the agent then called his Christianity into question again, yelled at him, and my manager hung up on him.

*Satan always accuses people of being un-christian. Dude. This is, as you said a violation of Federal Law. If you can document it, you have a case. Talk to your manager. Ask for a letter on company stationary that says “ Dear_____ You are hereby notified as follows. During XXX.2006 and XXX2006 numerous collection calls were made to this company regarding our employee_________ You have been verbally informed on numerous occasions that phone calls of this nature are unacceptable at this workplace and your action has seriously endangered the continued employment of__________. Not only are your agents willfully ignoring this directive, but they are unconscionably rude and foul when the calls are received. If one more call of this nature comes through to this office we will proceed with legal action against your company, you , and every person employed there.” Mail the letter. Certified mail. Return receipt. Keep Copies. You may be able to get money out of this.*

The next week, the agent called work again (another violation) and when he was informed that I wasn't there (I really wasn't), he said, "bullsh1t! Just go get him!" She hung up on him. He called back, she reminded him that he'd just called and that my not being there still hadn't changed. He called her a liar, she hung up on him again.

So...

Tomorrow I'm going to file a complaint with:

1) His supervisor

2) The credit card company that contracted this collection agency

3) The Federal Trade Commission

...to inform them all of his repeated violations of sections 805a (subsection 3) and 806 (subsections 2 and 5) of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

*His supervisor sits around all day with his pants off playing whack a ……. Make a few calls and find the name of someone really in charge. Call them and tell them you work for “Ludicrous Name, LTD, and you have some invoices you think you need to place and since they are really large amounts, you want to talk to the head of the department so you can decide if his agency is better than the others you’ve contacted. You’ll get a GOOD name then. Heheheheh.*

I'm sure they'll be quite interested to hear of that, especially the Collection Agency itself, considering that each violation (if I take their asses to court) carries a fine of up to $1000 per violation.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about how I'm going to light this guy's butt up tomorrow.

Wish me luck. This should be fun!

Go after them. You can find the forms on line. Go after them. The Feds admit they don’t have enough personnel to do it all or even follow up on complaints. You go after them. It is MONEY. Go get it.

***There is an organization around here. The phone number is local, but they handle complaints nationally. It is called “Call for Action.” The phone # is 301-652-4357. They are open from 9am to noon tues wed, thurs. www.wtop.com/?nid=63
Click on ‘submit a complaint’ and fill out the form.*** They are badgers, I tell you, rabid badgers.
But it looks like you are about to pay off your debt and get yourself in order. Good Going!******

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mama Jay has de wise advice!

Yes, I have been there. My brother in law is a deadbeat and a criminal. His favorite thing to do when he is on parole is take out credit cards in my husband's name. Hey, he knows all my hubby's info. Name, SS, DOB, DL.

Most of the companies have been pretty good to deal with.

The worst was Discover. They were scum and sent it to collectors who sold it every six months. So every few months I had to eat another idiot who wrote or called looking for money. Some of them were unbelievable. I got even with each and every one of them. Oh yes I did. I filed a written complaint each time. It finally stopped.

But will I ever have a Sears or Discover card? Oh no. Not a chance. I unload on them anytime they dare to send me a pre-approved credit application. I'm sure my name is on some wall of hate in their building. They leave me alone now.

BTW: The first thing I said them when they would call was "You don't mind if I record this do you? It's for both of our protection." I didn't actually have a recorder, but it usually made them hang up.

Last edited:

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
I know what we need: Chicken Soup for the People-Harassed-by-Debt-Collector's Souls.

Anyone want to submit? :e2chain:

Would that happen to be chicken soup made with Soilent Debt Collector? ;)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No one's allowd to answer the phone in my house unless the recognise the number, period.

Solves a lot of unwanted calls.

Last edited:

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Momma Jay be tellin ya what to do next, don'cha know.

Collection agencies appear to not hire folks with the best "people skills." Admittedly, this is probably because these people are lied to routinely, and they've come to assume that anyone they call is full of crap.

*****No the job requirement is that you must be a minion of Set, servant of satan or believer in Baal. Jackboots required. Think of these people as ‘special forces’ in Evil’s army. They are not hired for their ability to be nice, they are hired for their ability to blend in with Nazis******

A few years ago, I got a call from a collection agency looking for my husband's ex wife, who had never lived at this number, or even in this state. The call went like this:

Caller: "May I speak to B____ K_____ please?"
Me: "No, I'm sorry, she's my husband's ex wife. She's never lived here."
Caller: "Oh, so this isn't B____ K_____?"
Me: "Well, no, it's not. She's never lived here."

***yup. Calls like this need to be handled or the number will be passed to everyone that may ever think of collecting from her. The idea is that because she is ‘related’ to your husband that he has some way of contacting her. It is technically illegal but nothing will be done unless the calls are repetitive and rude.
First. Do what Terri(?) said. When you pick up the phone and it is a call like this say “excuse me, but I need to record this call.”

You really shouldn’t have acknowledged any connection. “No, you have the wrong number”

Next, tell them that the person they are calling for has never lived there, does not live there and will never ever be there and that you find the calls rude and annoying and…(don’t let them hang up until they hear you say this) “Neither you nor anyone else at your company may call here again. If you do I will pursue legal action against you, primarily and your company and everyone who works there.

If possible, though, give them the person’s number.*******

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Not Finished.

I'm not finished yet. I want to respond to most of this as you folks are near and dear to me, and I HATE this particular breed of debt collectors and I've ways of dealing with them.

Sooo. Mama Jay, she say..go have some rum an sit in de sun an' re-lax. Mama Jay she's gonna do some good juju and she be back....."

Status
Not open for further replies.