Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'cause I couldn't think of a better title :D

I was curious about the genres we'd all love to dip our toes in. Most of us write in a favorite genre, and quite a few of us dabble in more than one. There are even those among us who feel comfortable in any genre, any time, any place.

Is there a genre that you've never written in, that you'd love to try out one of these days? Maybe not now, maybe not soon, but some day ?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to try a horror some day. I'm writing humor now, so it would balance the scales :D

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Same as MM. I'd like to try my hand at horror.

The really creepy "things that go bump in the night...then eat you" type of stories.

I've always been interested in Lovecraft's "Cthulhu" stories. May I'll actually sit down and read them and explore those types of stories.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmmm--maybe a good, dirty romance. That would shock everyone. Nice Mommies aren't supposed to know about things like that. (although where they think all these kids came from...)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Science fiction for me. I read it exclusively for years, then hit my limit and almost never read it now. But I'd love to produce some.

(Hey, Soccer Mom, who do you think writes the good, dirty romances? It's women like you and me.)

Maryn, who does suspense and erotica

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dirty romances?

Maryn said:
Science fiction for me. I read it exclusively for years, then hit my limit and almost never read it now. But I'd love to produce some.

(Hey, Soccer Mom, who do you think writes the good, dirty romances? It's women like you and me.)

Maryn, who does suspense and erotica

If the minivan's a-rockin', don't come a'knockin'!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also love to try a serial killer mystery one of these days. Hopefully not a biography :D

*okay, avert your eyes, this popped into my head and if I don't spit it out I'll get a rash*

"Voyeurism on a Budget" by Gladits Night and the Peeps.

*we now return you to your regular brain cells*

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
A good mystery with a perfect twist ending.

Sci-fi that makes sense. Maybe a fun western?

A decent romance.

My mind wanders with possibilities...

Karen

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I write romance, but I've read just about every genre. I could see trying out mystery or suspense. I don't trust myself to write fantasy--I'd end up being one of those writers who make up exactly what the characters need to get themselves out of a jam.

Iktor looked up at the full moons, barely visible above the suffocating rim of the Unclimbable Canyon of Horax. "Hmm...if only the Feast Day of Sentag were today instead of tomorrow, and we had a jamsing stone."

Parlti fell to her knees, covering her face with her hands and tail, shoulders shaking.

Iktor put his hand on her shoulder. "So we die, my love. We die together."

"No!" Parlti's laughing face glowed a healthy silver in the growing moonlight as she pulled the chain free of her tunic. The jewel it held pulsed in her claws.

"A jamsing stone!" Iktor dropped to his knees beside her, his eye widening. "But surely it wouldn't be activated until..."

"Think!" Parlti's forked tongue flicked out playfully, leaving a stinging welt on his cheek.

All at once, he got it. "By the sacred river of Shal-k'mri," Iktor shouted. "It's leap year!"

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psychological Thriller.
I love to read them but thinking about writing one makes my brain hurt.

MizzVyxen

Venus in Combat Boots
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.venusincombatboots.com
I would love to try to write something in the thriller/suspense genre. I imagine that it would take a LOT of patience and forethought; both of which are challenges for me.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Over the years, I think I've dabbled in every genre except romance, mystery, and horror. I've got an idea for a horror in the queue, but that'll have to wait behind the various paranormal and SF stuff I've already got lined up.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
If I ever finish my first novel, and if I ever publish it, I would like to write a thriller. It may not happen until I’m retired, but at least I know now what I will be doing.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could write comedy.
One day.
I bounce between SF, Horror,and Fantasy. I tried a romance but, uh, my Beta's reclassified it as horror and made me promise to never do that again. When people ask you that and they're followed by a mob with pitchforks and torches...you pretty well pay attention.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
I bounce between SF, Horror,and Fantasy.

Those are usually my three genres. Mostly Fantasy and Horror, with some SF. My dark fantasy/horror demon WIP I've been constantly talking about lately actually has some elements from gay romance, due to the characters' orientations.

I would like to write a mystery or thriller someday, once I'm an established author, though I might never actually write one. I'm much more familiar and well-read in SF, Fantasy, and Horror (basically all speculative fiction).

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... There's lots of things I want to do, and will do.

I want to write stories... as regards genres, that all depends on my mood.
I'd like to make movies too, man, I don't know.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy, so one day I'd like to try something a little more freeing--like a contemporary romance. It's so much easier to refer to someone as "built like a Hummer" than to say he is bulky across the shoulders and chest. There are so many times when I want to describe someone in a way that only a 21st Century human being can do but I can't because uh, no one in my world knows what that is ;)

I'm not saying contemporary genres are easier, just that there are certain muscles I've never stretched before, and others that I think I might have overstrained.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Hey, Jay... I know what you mean. I didn't want to write a romance, but 'they' forced me, so I said, "Okay." I wrote it. It didn't have a happy ending. Or middle. Or even beginning! My beta seemed to like it, though, but I bet she wouldn't call it a 'romance', either. And when I originally wrote it, those to whom I submitted it liked it - but they just didn't know where to put it at the time so they sent it back to me. :(

In answer to the original question, tho... I'd love to write science fiction. Trek to be specific. TOS. But back when I looked into it, they had their books all lined up 'til sometime in 2010. I guess if I'd gotten in then...

drevil915

Registered
Reaction score
I'm comfortable in most genres except full-blown romance and comedy. I can write romantic subplots in already existing works, but the idea of writing just a romance work seems really hard to me. Same goes for comedy. I have a really Seinfeldian sense of humor, and I'm just not sure that sort of thing would translate into words too well. I don't think I'm good enough for that yet.

But an earlier poster mentioned writing a western and I would love to write a western. Never really thought about it at length, but that would be something great to write.

-jason

Status
Not open for further replies.