Animal Fiction

C. L. Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm sort of new here. I'm writing and illustrating a graphic novel about lions in Africa, so I've been researching them and a few other animals for the past several months. I want to make the characters as real as possible.

Are there any other fiction writers in here who study and write about nature? Or am I in the wrong forum entirely? (I was encouraged to come here by some people in the Novel forum.)

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi, C.L.! Welcome. :)

Seems like there were some threads about animals/nature/fiction in here somewhere. Make yourself at home and prowl back through the older posts to see if you can spot them.

Are the lions in your book the main characters?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
C. L. Richardson said:
Hey all, I'm sort of new here. I'm writing and illustrating a graphic novel about lions in Africa, so I've been researching them and a few other animals for the past several months. I want to make the characters as real as possible.

I'm not a fiction writer and don't know if this will be any help at all because I don't know what you are looking for in portraying your lions, but if you haven't already, you might want to read about the lions that were stalking people. I don't remember the exact info, but can probably get a few bits of info from my husband and son when they get home, unless someone else here can provide quicker info.

We just watched the movie a while back, sorry, I don't recall the title. . .the story was that the lions were killing people and a group went in to search them out and kill them. However, the lions began stalking and killing them one by one but finally they did get them. If I remember correctly they followed them back to their lair and found people's bones. . .like the lions had a "trophy" room in their lair. Very eerie. They say their heads are on display in some museum (don't remember where - possibly Chicago?). Anyway, they say to look into their eyes, even now, gives one a frightening feeling. Like I said, I don't know if it is anything you're remotely interested in, but was quite unlike anything I'd ever heard before, so thought you might find it of interest.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
You're thinking of The Ghost and the Darkness, about the maneating lions of Tsavo. And yes, the lions are stuffed and on display at the Field Museum in Chicago--I saw them there a few years back.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's it! Thanks, Marlys.