Looking for a Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure many people have had the experience of learning a new word or a new fact and then almost immediately seeing this word everywhere or seeing the fact referenced everywhere simply because you have suddenly become aware of the word. For example, yesterday I was editing references for a technical paper and one of the authors was named Sugarbaker. I thought it was an odd name I had never heard before. The last night I picked up a mystery written in the 1980s by Susan Dunlop, and one of her characters was named Sugarbaker. I know this kind of happening is a coincidence, but I think once in the long, dark past I knew another specific word for this kind of information coincidence. Anyone know what it is? Its driving me crazy trying to remember.

Oh yes, and what do you call the green strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street? My husband calls it the tree lawn (He's from New York City). My friends who grew up in Missouri call it the verge, but I am absolutely positive I once knew a very specific word for this strip of grass. Senility, I suppose, is coming in on little cats' feet.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
We call it curb grass around here.

Hmmm. Now I'm curious. There probably is some real and proper name for it.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"grass strip" is about the best I can do.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dad called it "That blasted nuisance no one else will mow." I never thought it might have a real name :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Grass

Regional words likely differ, but it's nearly always called a "Planting strip" by highway and street departments.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I think planting strip is the word I had in mind, although tree lawn is much more poetic.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Tish Davidson said:
Oh yes, and what do you call the green strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street? My husband calls it the tree lawn (He's from New York City). My friends who grew up in Missouri call it the verge, but I am absolutely positive I once knew a very specific word for this strip of grass.

Wow, I've never even thought of calling it anything specific. In my former city, I probably just would have called it "the place where people don't pick up after their pets/don't step there."

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Curb grass in my part of California. Isn't Sugarbaker the name of the owner of the design shop in "Designing Women"? an old TV series?

Shiraz

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
We call it the "boulevard" where I come from.

And, yes, Patricia - the interior decorators were the Sugarbakers. Didn't you love that show?

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with pdr. We call it the verge as well.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've never heard it called verge or tree lawn. Not even sure I've heard it called curb lawn, but that sounds the most likely. I just called it "that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street." Or "the part of the lawn by the curb."

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I think the local variant here (Calif.) is "frontage strip." I may also have heard "foot frontage." You can check zoning codes to see what your city planners call it. Here's Cleveland's, which refers to frontage strips:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/clevelandcodes/cco_part3_352.html

The area may or may not have lawn cover. (Not all front yards have lawn anyway.) It may be landscaped with something else or paved or left as bare earth. It may not even exist. Our sidewalk goes to the curb except for the cut around the street tree.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Shiraz said:
We call it the "boulevard" where I come from.

And, yes, Patricia - the interior decorators were the Sugarbakers. Didn't you love that show?

Well, gang, I'm not sure I care what it's called as long as it gets mowed. :)

Shiraz, I didn't watch it when it was prime time. I catch a re-run now and then. I tend to favor the earlier episodes over the later ones. Loved the clothes and decorating ideas. :)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it called the 'parkway'....

And the old saying I've heard concerning it is:

Why do you park on the driveway,
but you can't drive on the parkway?

Take care -

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
I've heard it called the 'parkway'....

And the old saying I've heard concerning it is:

Why do you park on the driveway,
but you can't drive on the parkway?

Take care -

I think you have that saying wrong. Everywhere I've been you do drive on the parkway.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
arrowqueen said:
I'm with pdr. We call it the verge as well.

I've never heard it called "verge" anywhere in official channels. I'm pretty sure this is just a regionalism.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Britain is a fair-size region, and over here that strip has been a verge as long as I can remember. Plus, it's defined as such in the Oxford Dictionary. Just another of those across-the-pond differences.

pianoman5

Means well
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in England, and as far as I recall it was always called 'the verge' or 'the grass verge.'

In Australia we call it the 'nature strip', which I've always thought kinda cute. It at least carries the promise of a veritable arboretum inhabited by a Noah's Ark of species, even if it more commonly expresses itself as a stretch of patchy grass smeared with dog s**t.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
You drive on the parkway and park on the driveway. That's how I've heard it.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
My Webster's (American) dictionary confirms the usage of verge as British. It also says, though that the verge is "the male intromittent organ of any of various invertebrates." Isn't English wonderful?

You there, octopus, keep your verge to yourself and stop bothering that female octopus.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Verge"

Tish Davidson said:
My Webster's (American) dictionary confirms the usage of verge as British. It also says, though that the verge is "the male intromittent organ of any of various invertebrates." Isn't English wonderful?

You there, octopus, keep your verge to yourself and stop bothering that female octopus.

I love that! I'm going to start using "verge" in every day conversation!

Status
Not open for further replies.