A question regarding Novel length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hertzog

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie as you'll tell by this question. So, I'm trudging through my first novel manuscript and I'm wondering how it will equate to the actuall book when published (knock on wood).

I'm using the industry standard as far as formatting goes, double spaced, Courier 12, etc. Let's say I'm on page 100 of the ms, does this mean if it were the actuall book I would be on page 100?

I know it does not really matter and I need to just focus on the story, but I'm going crazy with curiosity on this.

Thanks for the help in advance. I shared a few pages in the 'share your work' area if interested in checking it out. Any feedback is appreciated.

Take care and write on.

mammamaia

it's word count that counts, not pages...

hi, hertzog!... you'll generally have 250-300 words per page, with double-spacing in 12 pt courier... but it doesn't really matter... here's a good general rule of thumb for length:

word counts
Most works of fiction are defined first and foremost by the number of words they contain.

The following terms are the most frequently used in describing prose works, and the word count numbers represent generally accepted norms. Remember that most fiction markets set their own particular word count requirements, and they may deviate from these generalizations. Always check the particular requirements of the market to which you are submitting.

Novel: Generally any work of prose fiction over 45,000 words, ranging to about 150,000 words.

Novella/Novelette: Short novel averaging 7,000 - 40,000 words. These terms are often used somewhat interchangeably, although novellas tend to be longer, and novelettes shorter.

Short Story: Prose fiction of about 2,000 - 7,500 words.

Short Short: Prose fiction under 2,000 words.

Flash Fiction: (also known as sudden fiction or micro fiction) Prose fiction under 1000, 500, or even 99 words, depending on the market or guidelines.

Scripts or Screenplays have no set length, only insofar as time requirements to enact them dictate.

The Scriptorium E-Zine for Writers
ISSN 1492-949X
Editor and Publisher: Sherry D. Ramsey, mailto:[email protected]

that said, most acceptable size for novels by new writers is 75,000-100,000 words... shorter than that isn't enough of a 'book' and longer is generally too much of one, unless you're an established author...

...hope this helps... love and hugs, maia

Status
Not open for further replies.