Standard Size / Ratio for Graphic Novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

realist from earth

Depends...

It used to be standard that a graphic novel was the same size as a comic book. Simply put a graphic novel is merely a self contained comic story, usually over 32 pages; 90% of the time with a perfect bound cover.

Now, since Manga style comics, it is a little different. A Manga is basically a digest sized comics, and so you would have the option of going anywhere between digest size and standard size. Notable examples of graphic novels published in a digest size would be, "Road to Perdition" and "A History of Violence".

The real question is, what works best with your type of work? Costs for both formats are so similar that you really don't lose or save money with any format.

I hope that is of some help to you.

realist from earth

Also margin ratio and bleed is determined by each printer depending upon the printing process they use (offset printing vs. digital printing) and the format they are printing (standard side staple vs. perfect bound).

It is best to research between different companies and find the average.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
A graphic novel can be a varity of sizes. I am looking at a more square size for mine. It's good to see what is out there and what would make your book look best. A size also might be selected based on what the audience for your book would exspect. Most of the Trades from DC and Marvel are the same size where the books from Fantagraphics can very in the presentation size.

Status
Not open for further replies.