Anyone listed at dmoz?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I'm not, though I've been trying (in various categories) for a little while...

I was wondering: For those of you who've managed it, how did the dmoz listing affect your traffic, PageRank, etc.?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I could not get listed in dmoz too. I wish they had a more simplified and fasted process. However, since it is free you cannot complain. Getting listed there is surely a good blessing for your blog. Free traffic and a link from a popular directory- both are great.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Thanks for the responses, KellyC and razibahmed.

I'll keep trying at DMOZ... hopefully I'll be able to get my site listed somewhere in their directory. :)

helene

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writespot.org
I do have my site listed with dmoz - in all honesty, it doesn't do too much. Google and MSN search engines bring in a lot more traffic than does dmoz. But it's still nice to be listed in as many directories as possible so that more people can find your site.

BTW, it did take a good three or four months to get listed on dmoz. If you've submitted in the last three months, your listing might show up soon.

Last edited:

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
DMOZ has really been overtaken by.. well, everyone else. Because it's free, and relies on volunteers to vet sites, it can take up to 4 years to get your site looked at. Who needs that? I can get google to spider a site inside 4 hours (usually a lot less).

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Whooo hoooo!! They have a royalty category!!!!

I've submitted one of my royal blogs (Marilyn's Royal Blog, not the other one) to dmoz. They already have quite a few sites listed but it doesn't look like there are any royal blogs there.

Fingers crossed!

Cyjon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andyhumphrey.net
The advantage to dmoz is not the traffic from the directory itself. Instead, since dmoz is replicated on a bazillion servers, you get lots of links to your site which, in turn, makes is more attractive to places like Google. So you'll get more traffic because your site appears higher in the search engines, not because people are finding you on dmoz.

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
My little offering has been in second or third place in its Google directory (fed by the Open Directory) since it showed up about three months after I submitted it. In DMOZ it's on http://dmoz.org/Arts/Writers_Resources/Personal_Pages/.

DMOZ=Open Directory, in case that was confusing!

I feel a DMOZ listing is very important for driving traffic because it feeds so many other directories which then bulk up listing on Google, Yahoo, MSN. It's always amazing to me how many returns are listed in Google for the link to my blog/website.

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Cool beans! I just found out yesterday that my blog was accepted into dmoz. Here's the link if anyone's interested in taking a look (it's Tennessee Text Wrestling in the Arts: Writers' Resources: Publications: Weblogs Directory):

my blog at dmoz

Because of the dmoz listing, my blog also showed up in this directory for Freelance Writers.

It took about two months from submission of my blog to acceptance.

Huzzah! :snoopy:

Last edited:

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Congrats!

Pellegrina Leoni said:
It took about two months from submission of my blog to acceptance.

Two months, eh? Hm. So I guess I won't give up hope yet -- I might have submitted my blog to them about that long ago...

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
nancy02664 said:
Congrats!

Two months, eh? Hm. So I guess I won't give up hope yet -- I might have submitted my blog to them about that long ago...

Thanks, Nancy!

Yeah, hang in there, and don't give up hope: from what I understand it's a pretty lengthy process. And I found out quite by accident that I'd made it in - I hadn't checked my category in a while, and last night, I went a-googling the name of my blog just for the heck of it. And lo and behold, there was the dmoz link. :)

Good luck - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!