PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Pentacle Quest

PattiTheWicked
07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
For those of you who haven't read about this, it's something I've been writing to my congresspeople about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/03/AR2006070300968.html

This entire thing is shameful.

Carole
08-02-2006, 02:13 PM
"I think the powers that be are afraid they'll alienate conservative Christians if they approve a symbol that connotes witches and warlocks casting spells and brewing potions."
I don't even know where to begin...

Kate Thornton
08-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I am a 22+ year US Army vet - I am apalled at this - there is no legitimate reason not to honor this fallen vet with the symbol of his religion.

The ignorance just takes my breath.

Shadow_Ferret
08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I just find it amusing that athiests have a symbol!

Why do you need a symbol to show you don't believe in anything?

Aren't you therefore creating a psuedo-religion?

TSByrne
08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
*monacle falls off in astonishment*

Damn, at the rate this country is going I'm gonna run out of monacles... That is indeed mightily crazy.

(oh and pssst.... being an atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in anything, I actually think it's appropriate that my more rationally minded brothers and sisters get a little atomic dealie-bob).

Sarita
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
(oh and pssst.... being an atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in anything, I actually think it's appropriate that my more rationally minded brothers and sisters get a little atomic dealie-bob). Yeah, I like the atomic symbol for atheists. But they really should give the Wiccans their due.

PattiTheWicked
08-07-2006, 06:13 PM
The Unitarians have a pretty cool one, those lucky dawgs.

I'm thinking if the pentacle gets passed, it could open the way for even cooler stuff. I'd like to see a big Thor's Hammer on someone's memorial.

Shadow_Ferret
08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
(oh and pssst.... being an atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in anything, I actually think it's appropriate that my more rationally minded brothers and sisters get a little atomic dealie-bob).

Being an athiest means you don't have that extra set of beliefs about gods others do. That's why I'm curious why one would need a symbol. I guess I also don't understand why they are organized. What do they talk about? "I dont believe in God." "Really? Neither do I?" "So, what you're saying is neither of us believes in God." "Right! Time for a doughnut and some coffee."

TSByrne
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Not to hijack the thread with a potentially incendiary topic but ...

As an atheist, I do not consider myself to be part of any sort of atheistic community. I don't believe in god, or gods, or any of that. I do, however, believe in science, and in the ascendent future of mankind. Thus, when I die I'd want people to remember what I DID believe in rather than what I DIDN'T. Hence my appreciatoin for the little atomic symbol.

PattiTheWicked
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
I couldn't find the original thread on this topic, but a decision has been made by the state of Nevada in the case of Patrick Stewart, a Wiccan soldier who was killed in the line of duty in the Middle East last year.

Decision Brings Closure to Wiccan's Family (http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20060919/OPINION/109190063)

Sarita
09-22-2006, 05:29 PM
I've merged the two.

Cassiopeia
10-05-2006, 07:14 AM
The decision to allow them to put a pentacle on his marker has brought tears to my eyes. I am so grateful that the state decided to see reason. Our ability to voice or opinions and particularly religions beliefs is so important that it worries me when they start to prohibit it.

Our beliefs...our words...they are our last frontier...I hope they never take them away.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
I think it's still sad that it was only the state that 'allowed' it, like it was their right to 'allow' the man's right to his religion. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs needs a little kick in the bohiney... and I'm in a kickin' mood today. :)

Cassiopeia
10-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I think it's still sad that it was only the state that 'allowed' it, like it was their right to 'allow' the man's right to his religion. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs needs a little kick in the bohiney... and I'm in a kickin' mood today. :)You GO girl. I am with you :)

Kate Thornton
10-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I agree - 38 and not one for Wicca?? Bizarre.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-14-2006, 04:28 PM
A little update... a new suit (http://www.koco.com/family/10312986/detail.html) has been filed.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-03-2006, 10:46 PM
The latest:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061203/ap_on_re_us/wiccan_soldier_4

SLake
12-07-2006, 07:42 AM
For those of you who haven't read about this, it's something I've been writing to my congresspeople about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/03/AR2006070300968.html

This entire thing is shameful.

Shameful? No it's the usual, ignorance. The pentagon's shape, the White House, it's dome, the lake, the massive phallic spike are all ancient pagan symbols.

If the community realized what they all meant, the Capitol would be censored.:poke:

WildScribe
12-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I hope that this can come to a positive resolution. It's shameful the way that people behave about religion in this country.

SLake
12-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I hope that this can come to a positive resolution. It's shameful the way that people behave about religion in this country.

Not much has changed shamefulwise through the ages. Anything different confuses people, not to mention messing up government paperwork.

Thankfully there's no blood-letting involved. They'll get around to making changes eventually... Pentacles, stars, a shame when they are the same symbol. Meanings though are more subtle.

Vanatru
12-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the link Patti. The news blurb on Circle's site wasn't very clear on whether this was a VA decision or a local state one.

As for the Thor's hammer....there a lot in the heathen community who would like to see that as a grave marker for them.

Will the Christian dominated military complex change to accomidate pagans/heathens? Not anytime soon I'd think.