Veteran's Pentacle Quest

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
"I think the powers that be are afraid they'll alienate conservative Christians if they approve a symbol that connotes witches and warlocks casting spells and brewing potions."
I don't even know where to begin...

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I am a 22+ year US Army vet - I am apalled at this - there is no legitimate reason not to honor this fallen vet with the symbol of his religion.

The ignorance just takes my breath.

TSByrne

Registered
Reaction score
*monacle falls off in astonishment*

Damn, at the rate this country is going I'm gonna run out of monacles... That is indeed mightily crazy.

(oh and pssst.... being an atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in anything, I actually think it's appropriate that my more rationally minded brothers and sisters get a little atomic dealie-bob).

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
(oh and pssst.... being an atheist doesn't mean you don't believe in anything, I actually think it's appropriate that my more rationally minded brothers and sisters get a little atomic dealie-bob).
Yeah, I like the atomic symbol for atheists. But they really should give the Wiccans their due.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The Unitarians have a pretty cool one, those lucky dawgs.

I'm thinking if the pentacle gets passed, it could open the way for even cooler stuff. I'd like to see a big Thor's Hammer on someone's memorial.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
TSByrne said:

Being an athiest means you don't have that extra set of beliefs about gods others do. That's why I'm curious why one would need a symbol. I guess I also don't understand why they are organized. What do they talk about? "I dont believe in God." "Really? Neither do I?" "So, what you're saying is neither of us believes in God." "Right! Time for a doughnut and some coffee."

Last edited:

TSByrne

Registered
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread with a potentially incendiary topic but ...

As an atheist, I do not consider myself to be part of any sort of atheistic community. I don't believe in god, or gods, or any of that. I do, however, believe in science, and in the ascendent future of mankind. Thus, when I die I'd want people to remember what I DID believe in rather than what I DIDN'T. Hence my appreciatoin for the little atomic symbol.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
The decision to allow them to put a pentacle on his marker has brought tears to my eyes. I am so grateful that the state decided to see reason. Our ability to voice or opinions and particularly religions beliefs is so important that it worries me when they start to prohibit it.

Our beliefs...our words...they are our last frontier...I hope they never take them away.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I think it's still sad that it was only the state that 'allowed' it, like it was their right to 'allow' the man's right to his religion. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs needs a little kick in the bohiney... and I'm in a kickin' mood today. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
I think it's still sad that it was only the state that 'allowed' it, like it was their right to 'allow' the man's right to his religion. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs needs a little kick in the bohiney... and I'm in a kickin' mood today. :)
You GO girl. I am with you :)

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
For those of you who haven't read about this, it's something I've been writing to my congresspeople about.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/03/AR2006070300968.html

This entire thing is shameful.

Shameful? No it's the usual, ignorance. The pentagon's shape, the White House, it's dome, the lake, the massive phallic spike are all ancient pagan symbols.

If the community realized what they all meant, the Capitol would be censored.:poke:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that this can come to a positive resolution. It's shameful the way that people behave about religion in this country.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
WildScribe said:
I hope that this can come to a positive resolution. It's shameful the way that people behave about religion in this country.

Not much has changed shamefulwise through the ages. Anything different confuses people, not to mention messing up government paperwork.

Thankfully there's no blood-letting involved. They'll get around to making changes eventually... Pentacles, stars, a shame when they are the same symbol. Meanings though are more subtle.

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Patti. The news blurb on Circle's site wasn't very clear on whether this was a VA decision or a local state one.

As for the Thor's hammer....there a lot in the heathen community who would like to see that as a grave marker for them.

Will the Christian dominated military complex change to accomidate pagans/heathens? Not anytime soon I'd think.