Another Newbie - How can I search the entire forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteRight

Hi Guys

Greetings to you all from the southern tip of Africa. I am a newbie to writing - as yet unpublished, but keeping at it. And it has been great to find such a lively, informative forum.

Is there any way to search the entire forum re a specific topic without going through each and every section? I may have a query that has been covered elsewhere and instead of starting the whole thing all over again, could I search the forum for a reference...?

As a newbie, I am not too sure what the term 'personal essay' means. Does Dave Barry's humour column fit into this category? Or is it more serious stuff?

Looking forward to a long stay around 'The Cooler' :coffee

And thanks to Mammamaia for looking out for everyone!

Fern

search

Hello WriteRight. There is a search button on the page up toward the top. I don't think you will find it on the page you are reading this message, but go back one page to where you clicked to get to this message and see if you can find it.

I think Dave Barry's writing would fall under essays.

maestrowork

Re: search

You can't search the "entire" board at once. You have to do it forum by forum until you find what you want. Yes, it's a hassle and don't expect Google-like efficiency and accuracy.

mammamaia

howdy, writewrite!

you're entirely welcome... what kinda mamma would i be, if i didn't?

love and hugs, mm

WriteRight

Re: howdy, writewrite!

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for your replies and feedback!

I thought that maybe I had missed something in the SEARCH function, as I was looking for a thread on Dave Barry (my absolutely favourite funny guy) and couldn't find anything.:shrug

Back to the forest, Men!

Cheers for now :coffee

aka eraser

Try a search for Frank Baron..no wait..that might not work..try aka eraser...he blows Dave Barry out of the water..ok..maybe not blows out of the water...is equally as funny...ok...maybe not equally as...he is nearly as good as Barry...ok...he's an ersatz Barry wannabe whose stuff is pedestrian with occasional gusts up to mildly amusing.

Honesty sucks. :ack

rtilryarms

[RT ducks his head and takes some notes for future reference]

WriteRight

Mornin' All,

Greetings once again from the tip of Africa.

Frank, really enjoyed your site & piece about Ed The Mechanic!

Thing is, whenever I see the name Ed these days, I immediately think of my favourite hyena from The Lion King. Which I've seen about 150 times (I have an eight year old).

When I saw the title of your book, I thought, "Now there's a guy with a good sense of humour...!"

I see we're about the same age (I'm 52 next month). As you live in Canada you know all about lotsa snow 'n ice 'n stuff?
While watching the public at our local icerink (yeah - we have one in Cape Town) the other day, a friend remarked that there must be easier ways to fall down...

You can see pics of the rink at www.icerink.co.za/photos.htm

Just thought of a title for a piece about ice-skating for the South African market: Real Men Don't Fall Down.

Back to the forest Men!

Cheers for now:coffee

aka eraser

Thanks for the kind words WriteRight. :)

Interesting pics. I see those folks are working on the basics of the skating thing. To really get it down though they need to carry clubs with a curved blade and chase a hard rubber disc around the rink. The Real Men here still fall down but they can drink beer through the gaps where their teeth used to be. ;)

WriteRight

Yeah, we have a coupla Canadian & Austrian expats that are part of the local ice-hockey setup.

Real Men also seem to wear their caps back to front. When the hockey guys emerge from the changerooms after a training session, the caps all go on back to front. Then they swagger down to the exit nonchlantly chewing on an old puck or two.

But really Real Men get to drive the Zamboni! :snoopy

Yeshanu

As you live in Canada you know all about lotsa snow 'n ice 'n stuff?

Arrgh! (It's 30 degrees out today -- not much snow and ice in view.)

Frank, shall we tell them we don't live in igloos anymore? We've progressed to teepees.

Oh, another hello from Canada. Glad to know ya.

maestrowork

Mike, they use Celsius. I think we're the only backward country that still uses Fahrenheit.

Yeshanu

I know that for South Africa 30 degrees Celcius not terribly hot, but it's certainly not iceberg weather...

One of these days you Americans will join the rest of the world... Have faith!:thumbs

LiamJackson

Re: howdy, WriteRight!

Dear WriteRight,

As you may have noticed, we Americans are plagued by a pesky Miami suburb known as Canada. A lovable but rowdy lot, these Canadians seem bent on rebelling against local authorities. (Miami officials are forever breaking up hockey games in the frozen food aisles of supermarkets.)

We respectfully request that you not encourage their unruly, anarchistic behavior with mention of zambonis and hockey pucks.

Best,

Liam

(And welcome to AW! :peace )

Status
Not open for further replies.