Spilling my Guts - An Intro by Will Marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmarks

Hi y’all, ;)

I’m a bit new to the internet forum world – too much reading, writing and travelling – but I feel a new addiction coming on…

I’ve just had my first novel published – its fiction set in and published in India. I launched it in Mumbai a few weeks ago, and so far so good. I’ve yet to approach publishers in other countries, but hope to learn a few things about that, promo and the ‘outside world’ of writing now that I’ve come up for air after the sensory deprivation of actual writing.

Here’s a bit of bio so you now where I’m coming from - I grew up in Wellington, New Zealand, graduated with a commerce degree and hit the road. I’ve since lived and worked in Hong Kong, London and Sydney doing six months contracts in IT, finance and marketing, in between travels ranging from three months to one year. I’m now thirty-one years old, and have been travelling (as in being on the road, not working) for about four of the last ten years.

I’ve always been a passionate reader and writer, and part of the reason for me to travel is to give myself the time and head-space to do these two things. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to travel in Asia from Myanmar to Taiwan, in Western Europe from Santorini to Venice, Barcelona to Amsterdam, and in East Africa circling Lake Victoria though Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda. I got a PADI scuba diving license in Egypt, learnt to fly paragliders in Australia and have since flown over one hundred hours in Australia, Himachel Pradesh in the Himalaya and near Mumbai.

I’ve spent two years in the Indian sub-continent, including a sixteen-thousand kilometre motorcycle journey across the Himalaya from Pakistan’s border with China on the Karakorum Highway to Nepal, then down to Goa. I flew a paraglider fifty kilometres across the foothills of the Himalaya before spiral-diving over the Dalai Lama’s temple and a dharma centre where I had attended a number of ten day Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreats. I visited the site of the Buddha’s birth in Lumbini, where Buddha first taught at Sarnath, and the place of enlightenment at Bodhgaya, and studied hatha and ashtanga yoga at Rishikesh, Mysore and Sri Lanka. I spent a season in Goa and a week in Bollywood as an extra in movie.

My most recent trip was a few weeks in Mumbai to promote my first novel. It’s set entirely in India, and though it is a fictional narrative, not travel writing or travelogue, it is partially structured around a journey in India. It has been really well received so far with a few kind reviews and interest from the India press.

Here’s a tag on the story;

“Zac Goodman disappears while paragliding in the Himalaya. The only clue his companion finds to aid his search is a manuscript describing their motorcycle journey from the Himalaya, to mystical encounters in the sacred cities, and on a violent reunion in Goa. Set entirely in India, The Highway takes a lucid, otherworldly trip to the end of the road…”

Critics have said -"The Highway has that cult quality that makes readers on the road (physically and psychologically) pass a book on; the style is accomplished, the narrative complex and fulfilling.”

I’ve sold a few travel articles in the past, and though my first love is fiction, I’ve started doing more of that kind of work to mix it up a bit. There's plenty for me to learn about this, fiction and publishing, so I look forward to your collective help! :clap

It’s a privilege to be able to share in a likeminded community, and not always that easy to find, so I look forward to the pleasure of your company on the boards. :thumbs

All the best

Will Marks

Check out my novel, "The Highway" - www.willmarks.com
Available now at /www.vedamsbooks.com/cgi-...o36181.htm

mammamaia

welcome, will!

let me know if i can be of any help... namaste...
love and hugs, maia

Arisa81

Re: welcome, will!

Sounds like you've been on an interesting journey

Congrats on your book ! Hope it makes it all around the world :grin

Welcome to the board

ElonnaT

Re: welcome, will!

I have not been here long, but everyone is great. Welcome :jump

willmarks

Thanks for your welcomes!

Thanks for your kind welcomes,

This site is a great site.

I've enjoyed the reading and discussion so far, and look forward to getting to know you all...

All the best

Will :thumbs

maestrowork

Re: Thanks for your welcomes!

Welcome Will. You'll find a lot of information and good people here.

I've read the excerpt of your novel. You have talent. Hopefully we'll be able to answer your questions and I'm sure you have plenty to contribute here.

I too travel a lot (at least in the past) and I grew up in Asia. I'd be very interested in talking to you about your Asian experiences. Currently I'm writing my second novel set partly in SE Asia.

willmarks

Hi maestrowork

Thanks for that. There's an impressive quality and generosity of advice here. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

I'm also now developing a second novel partially set in Asia. I look forward to talking with you about Asia as well as writing.

maestrowork

What is your story about and where in Asia?

LiamJackson

Hello, Will.

I've enjoyed your contributions in the Writing Novels forum. Glad you've found us and hope you hang around for a while.

(Watch that Maestro guy. Oh, the stories I could tell! <grins>

willmarks

Hi Liam - cheers! :thumbs

What is your story about and where in Asia?

Well the first one was 100% in India, with a brief outline above.

The next one is early in development stages, so I can't boil down a storyline. Where? Some in India, and I'd like to do some travel in Bhutan and Myanmar and see where that takes me...

I've spent about 5 months in SE Asia, pretty relaxed travel, mainly Bali, Thailand and Vietnam. Can you say where in SE Asia you're focused?

maestrowork

Liam, don't scare off our noobies with the crazy stories!!

Will, my story opens in Malaya (before their independence) and hopefully ends in Malaysia again. The middle of the story would probably happen in China and America.

Lori Basiewicz

Will, sounds like you've had an interesting life. I look forward to getting to know you.

aka eraser

Yep, sounds like you've got fodder for several books and a few dozen essays/articles. Make yourself at home.

Yeshanu

Will,

Wow!

Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure you've got lots to share.

Maryn

Am I the Only One?

I, too, am delighted to welcome Will and wish him well, but surely I'm not the only one who finds that such an interesting and accomplished life, and a published novel, makes me feel like a nebbish with little hope.

(Although I did raise perfect children during the time Will was 'doing his thing.')

Maryn, Vice President of Nebbishes

Status
Not open for further replies.