PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex- opinions?

Christine N.
07-30-2006, 03:32 AM
It's no secret we're woefully underexercised here at my home. My hubby was considering a bowflex, and I want some opinions. Anyone have one?

I'm not a big freeweights person myself; I'd rather use machines. Back when I actually was OVERexcerised, I always preferred them. If he's willing to make space in the basement, where we can put it and I can use my elliptical walker again (yay!) then I'm for it.

Just wondering what people thought before we put out any money.

robeiae
07-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Totalgym (http://www.totalgymdirect.com/).

'Course, you'd be better off just walking/running every other day and doing simple exercises like sit-ups and push-ups every morning. Don't forget to stretch!

Rob :)

tiny
07-30-2006, 03:40 AM
You should go somewhere you can try it. I'm not a big fan of it myself. I like getting my cardio and resistance at the same time using a heavy bag.

(don't listen to Robeia, that's not his body)

Christine N.
07-30-2006, 03:44 AM
I do try to walk (since the busted leg I run like Igor, not that running was ever my favorite) I also do the body ball. This is hubby's idea. LOL.

Thanks

Christine N.
07-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Crap. Stupid thing won't fit in my basement.
Anyone else got any home gym ideas for someone with an old, shallow basement that won't bankrupt me?

P.H.Delarran
07-30-2006, 06:15 AM
My 'gym' consists of a Tony Little's Gazelle and an Ab-lounge. I got the Gazelle free off of craig'slist and the Ab-lounge was only $50 used. I use them often and love 'em. Both are compact. I have a basket of free weights for toning. I also swim daily and live near a large park for regular walks.
I kicked myself into a regular routine about a month ago. It was hard at first, but it's getting easier everday and I have a lot more energy and the excercise actually helps me eat right, because my body craves the good stuff.

maestrowork
07-30-2006, 06:20 AM
I prefer a membership at my local gym for a total benefit: swimming, running, machines, free wgts, etc. I get bored easily with exercises so I need some variety. Besides, it's healthier that way.

badducky
07-30-2006, 07:32 AM
I'd say exercise with exactly what you have for at least six months before spending one thin dime on anything but shoes and water bottles.

Then, after six months, when your cardiovascular stamina has returned, and verious variations on push-ups and sit-ups don't do the trick, consider your next level options.

But, prove over at least six months that you aren't throwing money into an expensive, ugly cout-hangar.

badducky
07-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh, also a great option instead of gym memberships or weightlifting is a good martial arts dojo.

Fun for all ages, very social, and gives you a strong sense of body mechanics and space when writing a "combat" scene.

Christine N.
07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, that was kind of the point, Maestro, is that we can't afford a gym membership for the both of us, but a monthly payment or a home gym we can both use would be preferable in a financial sense.

I used to do martial arts. Did it for years, actually DO have a black belt. My dad had a floor put into his basement. He also has a weight bench and heavy bag. I just hate to have to drag my butt down the street to do it - mostly because I then have to take my son, who would be into everything. Plus, like I said, I'm not much into freeweights.

Hubby probably won't do it, but I still have my body ball and Pilates bands, so I'll stick with them for a while. He's on his own. LOL

rtilryarms
07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
They all work great. The only problem is you have to use it.
Everyone has the m * g * h, but you can only benefit if you [ 1/2 * m * (v * v)]

ETA: Couldn't get the 2nd power symbol correct so I adjusted the formula slightly.

Maryn
07-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Nobody said there was going to be math!

Maryn, timidly raising her hand to ask for explanation

Shadow_Ferret
07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
I prefer a membership at my local gym for a total benefit: swimming, running, machines, free wgts, etc. I get bored easily with exercises so I need some variety. Besides, it's healthier that way.

Eh. Gym memberships means you have to GO there. We had a YMCA membership and at first we tried to go as often as we could, but then it just started becoming a hastle getting everyone together, some would be too tired to go, or there was something on TV, or something else was going on and we let the membership lapse because it was too much trouble to go.

I now have a Weider Crossbow, which is their version of the Bowflex and I love it. It offers enough variety in exercise to keep me interested and it isn't that hard to change exercises so it doesn't frustrate me that way.

But yeah, it's tall and it's in the laundry room, not in the rec room which has a lower ceiling.

rtilryarms
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Nobody said there was going to be math!

Maryn, timidly raising her hand to ask for explanation

LOL,

m * g * h is the formula for Potential Energy. Just hangs around if you don't use it. Everone had mgh.

[ 1/2 * m * (v * v)] is the use of energy, or Kinetic Energy. All the potential in the world won't help you if you don't use it.

I have a home gym in a separate room just mgh'ing away.

maestrowork
07-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Eh. Gym memberships means you have to GO there.

You're so lazy. Walk or bike over there and you've done half your exercise. As for affordability, mine cost only $19 a month, hardly a deal-breaker, just the cost of about five lattes around this part of town.

Christine N.
07-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes, but double that - one for hubby and one for me, and yes, that's not in our budget.

Carole
07-31-2006, 01:46 AM
Have you priced a bowflex? The cheapest one is still over $1,000!

That being said, hubby had one a long time ago and absolutely loved it. Somehow it was lost along the way of many, many moves.

It seems like something is in the air lately. Usually you see a lot of people getting geared up for fitness in the Spring. I'm seeing it everywhere now, including with myself. It's strange, too. With the people I know, they say something like, "I don't know. I was just suddenly full of motivation".

I'm gonna have to go check the almanac to see what's up!

Christine N.
07-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Yes, but you can finance for $20/month, which is $10/month per user. And once it's paid for, it's paid for. But my basement is about 4" too short. Le sigh.

I don't know what's up.

Jcomp
07-31-2006, 03:10 AM
Do you have anything competitive that you like to do that requires cardio and / or muscle work? I was never in better shape than when I played basketball every day. Exercising for me is ok, but I wish I could find a place to do what I enjoy on the regular while still getting a workout. Having something to do that's "fun" while also healthy is a great benefit. Because really, there's all sorts of things you can do to get into shape without spending the money, but if you dislike doing it, it's hard to be consistent. I think people (myself included) spend money on machines & whatnot subconsciously thinking, "spending money on a workout machine will make me want to use it to get my money's worth," & that works temporarily, but not in the long run.

If I could, I would spend the money on the Boxing video game they have at Dave & Busters. It's addictive, fun, & every time I do it I ache in places that I didn't know could ache.

Christine N.
07-31-2006, 03:20 AM
I have the problem of my leg... it doesn't work as well anymore, since I shattered it and have it all screwed back together. Anything requiring agility or quick movement isn't for me anymore. Roller blading is a thing of my past, since lateral movement is painful. I'd like to take line dancing or something, but hubby won't do it.

If it wasn't so dangerously hot and humid I'd fix my bicycle tire and give that a go. Last year... it wasn't pretty. The left leg kept lagging. But I'm a little stronger this year.

I'd like something strength-training wise; muscle burns more calories at rest. More muscle = higher metabolism. I know how it works - I actually used to be an athletic trainer, before that a fitness instructor. Long ago when I had nothing more on my mind than hitting the gym. All the time. It wasn't a good thing.

If we had something here, we could do together, I think that would go a long way in the motivation dept.

Gillhoughly
07-31-2006, 03:57 AM
This is a low cost alternative to the Bowflex name brand.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3205702

It maxes out at 200 lbs of pull, but since I'm never going to pull that much, ever, with any non-bionic appendage it's perfect for me.

Gary
07-31-2006, 04:10 AM
I've had a Bowflex for several years and I like it. It takes some getting used to, because it works nothing like free weights. If you use it like the book says, it does the job. The quality is high and in about 8 years of use I've broken one rod, and a phone call to the company brought me a new one in 3 days, at no cost.

Like most people, I go through periods where I exercise religiously, and other times I go for weeks without working out, and that makes a gym membership a waste of money for me. I also don't like exercising around a bunch of people. The Bowflex stands quietly in the corner and is ready to go when I am.

NeuroFizz
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
If any piece of exercise equipment is so expensive it has to be financed, it is best to be sure that one's adherence to an exercise regime will outlast the payment schedule.

I say this because I was an ACE certified personal trainer for two years (I did it just for fun/challenge, but never practiced the occupation), and the greatest challenge to the business is customer compliance. Despite great enthusiasm at first, most people drop out of an exercise program rather quickly. I will say that having exercise equipment in the home is convenient and may contribute to better compliance, but the number of home exercise pieces that are little more than dust collectors is impressive.

I understand BowFlex is good, but not so much better than other types of equipment to justify the price difference. Have you looked for used ones? This is one area of used-equipment shopping in which bargains can be easily found.

My suggestion is to start with much less expensive equipment (or no equipment as suggested) until you find out if you will be a regular user for more than just a few months. It so, then upgrade.

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2006, 07:17 PM
You're so lazy. Walk or bike over there and you've done half your exercise. As for affordability, mine cost only $19 a month, hardly a deal-breaker, just the cost of about five lattes around this part of town.

The nearest YMCA is something like 20 minutes away by car. I'm not walking or biking that, especially with a 6-year-old who still doesn't quite understand how traffic works or that cars are dangerous.

As far as an affordable gym, it has to be family friendly and it has to have an indoor pool, thus the Y which cost nearly $800 5 years ago.

Jaycinth
07-31-2006, 07:46 PM
If we had something here, we could do together, I think that would go a long way in the motivation dept.

Sex. SEX. sexsexsexsexsex.

If you do it right you each get an hour of cardio.
You will need to practice at least 4 hours a week for 6 weeks before you actually get it right. After wards drink a big glass of unsweetened peppermint tea...for cleansing your pores and stuff....

Christine N.
07-31-2006, 07:55 PM
LOL!
But then, what do we do with my three year old? Don't think we can leave him out in the living room that long, he'll burst in eventually. Once he goes to sleep, so do Mommy and Daddy. We do get some time together, but it's not as much as we'd like. Sigh.

Shadow_Ferret
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
And it doesn't get any better as they get older.

dclary
08-01-2006, 01:18 AM
My Soloflex is amazing. I can stack boxes on the bench, hang clothes from the arm bar, and use the rubber weights for... well, I don't use the rubber weights.

I'm not sure the Bowflex is as "I don't really exercise so I'm not sure why I bought this piece of crap" useful as the Soloflex is.