PDA

View Full Version : Bodies on ice

MarkEsq
07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Ok, so here's the scenario - tell me if it works:

The Victim is killed on Friday night, around midnight. His body is placed in a coffin made entirely of ice and plonked in a lake. The ice melts over the next 48 hours and his body is found on Sunday morning.

Is it possible that the ice coffin would slow down the post-death processes such that the ME would mistake the time of death, initially at least, and think the Victim died on Saturday night? Plausible??

Thanks!

Robert Toy
07-29-2006, 09:47 PM
I guess it would be possible, provided the lake was isolated enough that nobody was on or near the lake Saturday. Reason, the ice coffin would float, making it quite visible.

Steve W
07-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi,

It's logical that the body's decomposition would be slowed, but you'd have to talk to a medical examiner if you're looking to narrow it down to time periods like Saturday night as opposed to Friday. If you trawl the web, I'm sure you'll find some info on decomposition and temperature somewhere, so you could get some rough approximations for yourself.

Cheers,
Steve

the1dsquared
07-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Mark, time of year? It takes people a while to float. I was involved in a search for a politically connected person in the Potomac River 20 or so years ago. A grizzled old lad from the MD Marine police told me that the body (if it really was in the river) would start to float and be found down stream in about 3 weeks (I think it was spring) He hit the nail on the head, right day and right place (a couple of miles downstream). So that info is out there. How about this this? Put the body in an open topped 55 gallon drum filled with water. Freeze it and drop it in the lake right side up. Body starts to decompose, becomes buoyant and there you have it.

You've got a neat idea!

MarkEsq
07-29-2006, 11:05 PM
I think maybe my explanation wasn't clear, sorry -- the body itself isn't frozen, rather the victim is freshly killed and then placed inside an all-ice coffin. The coffin melts (taking with it incriminating evidence) and the body, still just two-days old, is then found. I am now thinking that he is unconscious when placed iside the coffin and suffocates, thereby making his cause of death almost unidentifiable. Hmmm... yes, I like that...
Hope I explained it better...
And thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Mark