This is me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElonnaT

Hi my name is Elonna and I am a closet writer. Ok well I have been writing all my life but have never finished anything. I actually have a degree in creative writing but work as a computer programmer. I have started so many stories and never finished them over the years, I thought it was time to make a real effort as I love to write (whether or not I have any real talent is yet to be seen). I have started a novel and it may not go anywhere but here on my laptop, but I am going to finish it for my own sanity. I actually have a first draft of a first chapter, a basic character and location outline just to keep things straight in my head and a general idea of where my story is going. This is the most I have ever actually completed on a writing project so I feel really good about it. I am making myself write at least 500 words each time I sit down to write and will do so until I actually write "The End." Many of the posts on this board have been an inspiration to me, I just had to say thank you instead of just lurking all of the time.

I appreciate all the help people are willing to give on this board and those who moderate this board and maintain the AbsoluteWrite website.

Elonna

spooknov

Welcome, Elonna! So glad to have you aboard. And, please, don't hesitate to ask questions. The people here have some wonderful advise, if you should need it. :)

mammamaia

welcome, 'me'!!!

let me know if i can be of any help, ok?... love and hugs, maia

Maryn

You're at an Advantage

Nice to have you join us.

You have an advantage, you know. The skills you take to work every day will serve you very well in organizing a novel. That organization, in its sheer size, can be really daunting.

When you have the basic plot thought through, you can probably write a kick-ass flowchart that will shame any mere outline...

Maryn, plotting drudge

ElonnaT

Re: You're at an Advantage

Thanks Maryn, I never thought of that...well I do avoid flow charts as much as possible but if it helps then I will do it ;)

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Elonna

maestrowork

There's no such thing as "closeted" writer (unless you write in the closet). Welcome! Keep writing. And be happy -- you have found one of the best writing boards in the world. :)

LiamJackson

Welcome! And thanks for the Games forum. Hope to "see" you in there, soon.

LJ

Lori Basiewicz

Hi. Been reading your posts. Looking forward to a long and interesting cyber-friendship.

batyler65

Welcome, Elonna!
If you need some help staying motivated, wander over to the Humor forum and check out the Weekend Progress Report. You don't have to be writing humor to play. All are welcome.

Great to have you here!

Barb

rtilryarms

Elonna

Watch out for some folks in the humor board. Belts, whips, paddles and chains = motivation to them.

for the sake of safety to my family I can't mention any names though.

regards,

RT
[holding one hand vertically in front of his face, covering his chin, mouth and nose and pointing to Barb with the hidden other hand]......[winking]..[nodding]..[terrified]

ElonnaT

OK, not that I don't appreciate the warm welcome, but did Mac put you all up to this?? heh
:rollin

Lori Basiewicz

Elonna, we don't listen to Mac. We know better. She's evil. :grin

This is just how we are with people we like. *evil cackle*

absolutewrite

Elonna, you are gonna fit riiiight in here, I can feel it already. :grin

ElonnaT

oooooo Liam, I am gonna tell her you said that!!

;)

<Troublemaker in Training>

Akuma

Neverfinishyourworkitus

You never finish your work, eh? Now I know two people who suffer from this disease, excluding myself. Maybe it is a disease!

:peace

Yeshanu

Re: Neverfinishyourworkitus

You never finish your work, eh? Now I know two people who suffer from this disease, excluding myself. Maybe it is a disease!

You got it backwards, Akuma. It's those wise guys who actually finish stuff who have the disease... ;)

ElonnaT

Yep, that is me, the 10,000 projects and not a one done girl. I am so enthusiastic about an idea in the beginning, then as I write I think "God, this is awful. I can't write, who am I kidding?" But I am trying to get past that, even if I don't write very well, I am going to finish at least one short story. I swear it...sometime in this century too...I hope :(

spooknov

Elonna, I can relate. It took me forever to actually finish any of my work. Well, by finish I mean go beyond a first draft. I would write out a story, re-read it, and say "Ugh! What is this crap?" Then, I finally let a few fellow writers take a look and give me a few pointers on some short stories. Now, I'm ready for my first ever submission. :ack :clap (I've mixed emotions about it.)

Most of your work is salvagable. You just have to tweek. Sometimes the tweek is as little as a few grammatical errors. Other times, it requires a complete re-write. It will happen. Don't worry about how well your story is until it's DONE! I mean, done, done, done. Written and edited at least a few times. Then if it still sucks, get an opinion from a few beta readers. Just because you think it's crap, doesn't mean it is. We tend, as writers, to be more judgemental of our own work.

Status
Not open for further replies.