Madison Square Garden Arena - how big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
[Yes, a very old thread. Sorry. But I now need new info if anyone can help, please. Posted more below. Thanks.]

Okay, sounds like an easy question to answer - just go over to the website.

That's what I thought.

"The arena features 20,976 square feet (1949 m2) of arena floor space." - but that doesn't sound very big. Does it mean that's the actual size of the floor the Knicks play on, then the seating is extra, etc, or the entire arena's floor size? That's only 50m by 40m.

So I explored the site and found this -

"THE ARENA
Seating capacity: 20,000
Dimensions: 20,000 x 10,000sq ft
Decor: 3-tiers of seating
Multimedia support: yes"​

What does '20,000 x 10,000sq ft' mean?

Something can only have one 'sq ft' measurement. And if it means 20,000 x 10,000 gives you the total of sq ft... 10,000 feet is nearly 2 miles.

Does it mean the floor space for sports is 10,000, but the whole arena is 20,000? Maybe. But why not give the exact measurement as it does on the other page? But that still comes back to the size not seeming very big.

Can anyone help, please?

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
that doesn't sound very big

Madison Square Garden actually IS very small for an arena. That was one of its charms.. It felt very intimate in there.

Oh so I've heard. I've never been there. But I've heard lots of people say that very thing.

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
Ive been there for both games and concerts -- it isnt the biggest arena -- when there are concerts, they use the floor area for seating so it seats more people for concerts than for basketball or hockey. More seating for basketball than for hockey. MSG is actually on top of Penn Station. If you need any more info about it - let me know. This is not the original MSG - that was torn down several years ago. Designed by Sanford White who was actually murdered on the roof by his girlfriend's jealous husband. Ever heard of the girl on the velvet swing?

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Please forgive the late thanks for this info but when this post disappeared off the first page I assumed no one had replied.

I was hoping someone could confirm which measurements are correct. Persiphone_hellecat - have you any idea? I've only seen photos of the interior. Is it very high-ceilinged? Scale-wise, how big is it (maybe you have an idea of what could fit inside it to illustrate its size)?

Thanks again.
Steve

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Madison

Picture a football field. The floor space at Madison almost exactly matches a football field from sideline to sideline, and from the back of one end zone out to the forty-eight yard line. This is 20,880 square feet. Madison actually has a maximum of 20, 876 square feet.

Even if you go with the 20,000 they usually give, this is still a very accurate picture.

Not a huge space as arenas go, but not tiny, either. This space can be used many different ways, and most anything can be done there.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
space

Fern said:
This may be the same link you are using for info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden

but it gives the 20,976 as arena floor space and gives seating capacity separate.

That's because the 20,976 is the maximum possible availble floor space, and the seating number is the maximum possible seating number, depending on the event being held.

In reality, the seats are put in opr taken out, depending on what is happening, and teh arrangement. The seating capacity is different every time you go there because some events require much more floor space than others.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys.

The football field analogy is useful.

All the best,
Steve

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my manuscript has moved on and this info isn't quite what I'm looking for now.

I get how big the floor space is at the Garden's Arena, but can anyone tell me roughly how big the actual room is wall to wall, please (floor space and seating area combined)?

Jamesaritchie gave an excellent illustration -- the actual arena floor area is half a football field. Can anyone expand on that for the overall size of the venue, please?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Steve

Last edited:

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
You could try the press/PR/public information office. They should be able to help you.

Steve W

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Newmod,

I emailed them. They just sent me the stats that are available on the website, which is simple floor space area, not actual room size.

Cheers,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.