A great day of blogging

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
My blog gets 250-300 hits a day these days. If I cross 500 hits then I feel excited. Today, it is almost reaching to 1000. How do you feel when your blog gets sudden increase of hits. Well, in July, I had 4 times of 1000+ hits. My secret is social bookmarking sites.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
razibahmed said:
How do you feel when your blog gets sudden increase of hits. Well, in July, I had 4 times of 1000+ hits. My secret is social bookmarking sites.

It feels really really good!!!! I don't have remotely anywhere near the same amount of hits as you, I'm envious! I've noticed that my traffic for the most part has been over 100 page loads, whereas unique visitors doesn't usually get beyond 80 or 90. My returning visitors is slowly increasing, which is nice. I've noticed that if I write about something timely in the world of royalty that I get a tremendous amount of traffic.

Sometimes I get a lot of page loads & unique visitors when I haven't updated the blog in a while, which is a bit strange to me - suddenly there will be a sharp increase in traffic and I have no idea why. I'm not complaining about it, I just wish I understood what causes it.

If you don't mind my asking, what is social bookmarking?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Social bookmarking sites are websites in which visitors can submit useful and interesting links from Internet. Digg, Reddit, Only Wire are some of them. I have written about it
I think there are now more than 50 such bookmarking sites.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
What is good about a high number of hits?

I only have a few regular readers, but I enjoy their comments like "You perspective on things really makes me take notice."

Or - "This is the best blog I've ever read - very well written and interesting - a good take on everyday life."

It can really make my day to get a good comment. I use my blog to vent and write - and if people read it and enjoy it - and keep coming back - that's good for me.

I don't care if strangers bang away on the counter - if they aren't reading what I have to say - they aren't really there for you - but for some other reason.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
eldragon said:
What is good about a high number of hits?

I think in general, unless you're a professional blogger, the amount of hits isn't necessarily relevant. Just my opinion on that though.

For me the stats make my day - I just think it's great that people are actually coming to my blog, also it's interesting to see how people find my blog, what links they use or keywords, what articles get the most attention. I don't get very many comments so I rely on the stats to tell me those things.

I've signed up for Digg, although they don't have a category for my subject matter. It looks interesting.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Then Go for Reddit.com. Here anything goes but people love interesting articles. Netscape.com has a broader category too.
Yes, literature is not a favorite topic for bookmarking sites but unless it is a a poem you can submit your writings in other categories. For example, you have written a romantic short story- you can easily submit it to Netscape's Love and Personals section. Or your writing is indirectly related to politics- you can submit in politics section. Or you write about royal families. That easily fits into politics or celebrities.

It is true that most of the visitors are one time but I have noticed that some of them have become my regular visitors.

Spice Islands

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.the-spiceislands.com
With my blogs and websites I often check my stats. Not just how many visitors but where people come from. I like to know who is talking about me and what I can do to maximise that interest and turn it into regular visitors.

A bit like marketing!