So . . . I finally got a job. A real job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I interviewed with a technical staffing service a month ago for a job that pays really well, but after the month went by, I started having my doubts as to whether it was going to happen. The recruiter guy told me I was at the "top of the list" of who he was recommending for the position. But the company hadn't decided to hire anyone just yet.

My wife said to just collect unemployment until I get the job, so that's what I did; in the meantime I continued my job search and wrote and wrote and wrote. I believe I started my manuscript in May and to date have 190 pages written, over 51,000 words. At this rate, I had hoped that by August I would have the first draft complete.

I finally interviewed today. It went really well, and I start on Monday at my new full-time "contract" job (they may not need me past November. Or they might. I won't know til then. I also might get hired on full time then.)

The job pays literally twice what I was making before. The hours are 530 a.m. to 3. Saturdays and Sundays too, 6 to 2. Tons of overtime.

I'll be working my butt off, but I'll also make more than I've ever made before in my life.

Thing is, this will require a complete life change, which I'm still trying to get used to. No more Simpsons at 11pm, no more drinking, new bedtime is 8. Also, no more 3,000 word writing days. I'll be lucky to bang out 500 to 1000. So much for getting the first draft done by August.

This job is a heavy machine wiring job, a skill I'm good at, although I haven't done it in a while. Very hands-on, no computer. The truly ironic part is that I did wiring and installation in my first job out of college and swore I'd never go back to it. I've come full circle in my career.

So, that's it. I've been on these boards griping about my job situation in the past, and now I'm still griping about it, in spite of the fact that I'll finally be making more than my wife. Heck, with this job, we'll finally be able to pull ourselves out of debt.

I'll just be working my butt off to do it.

I'm not "happy" and celebrating yet; I'm just trying to get used to the idea.

allen

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I have a real job, and I love it. It lets me buy pretty much anything I want.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
congratulations, underthecity. i know how that situation can weigh on a man's soul.

best wishes with it.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Finally! Hope everything goes well, Allen.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
underthecity said:
Heck, with this job, we'll finally be able to pull ourselves out of debt.

I'll just be working my butt off to do it.

Peace of mind and a smaller butt? Priceless.

Congratulations, Allen. Being needed because of your skills is a good thing, even if it's not exactly what you wanted to do.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's really good news and I'm finding that other people's good news actually makes me happy. Look out. I may be growing a soul.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Allen. I'm so pleased for you.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Allen! I had a lovely post all worked out, and promptly deleted it. This is what getting up at 5:30 am will do to a person.

Best of luck, and I hope everything works out. I know what you mean about having to change your schedule - all the good TV comes on after my bedtime.

Karen

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Allen,

You, sir will do fine. I was in a similar situation many years ago when I left one professional career to begin a new one (similar career paths) and had to get caught up real quick. I left a cozy technical lead job at Wells Fargo to the 70+ hour work weeks at Intel as a factory capacity planner (programmer). Yeah, I made a bunch more money but the grind was terrible.

I just hope you can get caught up financially and hope you will either decide to stay or find work you'd be more suitable (happy) with for your mental and physical health.

Best wishes,

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Allen -- I love it when good things happen to good people.

Being unemployed is only good if you want to be; otherwise, it's as william said.

Here's hoping the changes bring new energy to your writing as well!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Under. I've been where you've been too many times to count, and it sure ain't fun. One thing you can do is look for a better job while you are working at your new one. The best to you.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing ventured...well, you know the rest. I hope the gains outweigh all else. If you hate it, at least you'll have a job the next time you go looking for another. A much better position to be in.

All the best, Allen.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent!

Let us know how it progresses. You've been out of wor for a while.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
Excellent!

Let us know how it progresses. You've been out of wor for a while.
I've yet to find anything suitable that would like me wor and make money. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
I've yet to find anything suitable that would like me wor and make money. :D
Well, with a face like that...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
big congrats on the job and the pay increase. It'll take some getting used to but you'll do fine! Keep us updated (in what will now be your limited spare time.)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I appreciate the comments. I'm certainly not opposed to doing the work. Plus, this is apparently the biggest machine tool company in the world, and there is steady work. Time and a half for overtime, double time for Sundays.

It's just going to take a lot of getting used to. Up until now, I've been going to bed around 11 and getting up around 7. Now I'll have to go to bed around 8 to get up at 4. And it's only about a twenty minute drive so that's not bad at all, considering the locations of other potential employers.

And I had a choice, of course. I could have turned it down so I could sit and wait for the "perfect" job to come along. And eight months from now when I'm still unemployed, I would be thinking about how I let this one slip by. And my wife would be upset. Very upset.

So, it'll be a big change to be sure. But career-wise, it's a step in the right direction. I'll just have to adjust my writing habits and schedule, and will still be able to finish the first draft of my novel a little bit later than planned.

allen

Status
Not open for further replies.