What are you haunted by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
"Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean was haunted by waters. What in your life now or your life as a whole, when viewed at an older age, will be the thing that haunts you?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am haunted by some of my more serious life-gaffs. If any of them had turned just a little to one side or the other, I would be sitting in a very different place right now.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I was haunted by an armed robbery for many years. I was about 8 when it happened. They gagged and bound my parents and threatened to kill them. It was traumatizing.

It still haunts me. I froze just a few years ago when I was mugged in downtown. I felt like an idiot, but fear is irrational.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I am haunted by continuity and the continuous reminder of a small world. How events whether fated/destined or choice and circumstance over the course of decades led me to where I am now.

example: Some things seem so inconsequential at the time it is happening, but if it hadn't been for a boy I met on a float down a river in Lesterville, MO when I was 14, I wouldn't be where I am today. (no he isn't my husband. He is a friend I haven't seen in years.)

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Dennis, Joel, Jim, and Steve? I'll leave out their last names.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am occasionally haunted by roads not taken and opportunities I let slip by. But the death of my Father made me take stock and that's why I'm going to finally, seriously, pursue getting published. So I can devote my first book to him.

Now I'm only haunted by the regret that I didn't do this while he was alive to enjoy it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Peeps. Not the yellow ones. The pink ones.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
is there a place that haunts any of you?

There is a road in the country by where i grew up that haunts me. I see it in dreams a lot and when I first left my ex-h, I went home for a visit and one of the first things I did, to get it out of my system was make myself drive down it. It didn't work. It's still there...it still haunts me.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh definitely. The house I grew up in. I can't go near it now. There was too much violence -- quite a lot of fun and good times -- and some things that shouldn't happen when you're that young.

I just avoid the neighborhood completely now.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm haunted by decisions I've made that I can't take back and the people I've let slip through my fingers.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I had a recurring nightmare as a child of being in a U-Haul truck on a steep mountain road, with a full moon overhead, and having the truck slip off the edge, to my death.

I am haunted by steep mountain roads.

And U-Hauls.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Perhaps you could have compromised, stayed in Saudia Arabia for a few more years to bankroll culinary school, and loan Billy and I that 10,000 smackers we're hoping for.

:)

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I'm haunted by the fact that I gave up playing the viola as a kid.

I would be a professional soloist by now if I hadn't.

I'm sure of it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
I had a recurring nightmare as a child of being in a U-Haul truck on a steep mountain road, with a full moon overhead, and having the truck slip off the edge, to my death.

I am haunted by steep mountain roads.

And U-Hauls.

I hate that steep road and falling off the edge dream. I have that one too. No U-Hauls though

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haunted might be too strong a word, but I am remorseful about a few past relationships that ended "weird." It's sad when people have to go out of your life for unspoken or ill-defined reasons.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
is there a place that haunts any of you?
Not sure if this qualifies, but there is a highway that runs through Yountville, CA that goes by a hillside graveyard. At night, if car headlights turn just right, a lighted "figure" creeps up the hill and disappears over the ridge--the ghost of George Yount, or whatever his name was. Even though we all knew the illusion, it was still great for a road trip, some beer guzzling, and a even little unsettling fright. It was particularly fun if one of the guzzlers was a naive (about the illusion) young lady with her arms tightly clamped around my midsection.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of you know I was molested by my father from age 3 until 15. It was intercourse and anything else he could get me to do while feeding me drugs. I was a pretty messed up child and didn't have any friends. One night while alone at what wasn't my "home" I got an idea to get some friends and stop the sexual abuse; I would tell on my dad. I went into protective custody and a few days later he put a bullet in his head. The other day I ran across his death certificate, it read, Cause of death- gun shot wound to the head.

Then another blow when I came across my birth certificate two days ago. He was 20 when I was born and 23 when he started touching me.

When I was 15 until I was 26 I felt like I was the one who shot him. I didn't want him dead, I wanted friends. I'm haunted daily by the whole thing like it happened yesterday. I don't know when it will ever rest or leave me, maybe it wont. But I'm here with you guys where I feel safe and I know you are my friends and you will never know how good it feels.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Terri,

You have friends - and *we* will now haunt you! (In the best of all possible ways!)

We can't change the past, but we can change the way we deal with it. Life's too short to not be happy.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Terri - that certainly outweighs a lot of other types of hauntings.
Big hugs to you! You truly are safe and among friends!

Trish

Status
Not open for further replies.