How the heck does one break into the video game world as a writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
I didn't know where else to put this, so if there is a mor appropriate place, go ahead and move it.

My question is simple; How does one break into writing for the video game industry?

I've scoured job boards and the like, and have yet to see any openings anywhere.

Anyone have suggestions?

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
As a distant lead, you might try some of the gamer blogs. I remember reading one from a reviewer/critic, and he had a considerable amount of replies, some from the company bosses themselves.

Also, have you done any research on Google?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Simplest answer? Work on a video game. Not so simple after all, though, is it.

Easier answer? You could have won this contest

Contest is over, but the rules should reveal what they were looking for in a submission:

When hiring writers, BioWare looks only at your writing; not the areas, not the special scripting, and not the combat. We evaluate only the characters, the dialogue, the plot, the non-linear structure, and the flow and pace of the story. To be eligible for this contest, please submit a Neverwinter Nights module that follows these parameters:
  • A maximum of four characters. One player character and a maximum of three non-playable characters.
  • A maximum of 3500 words in total including dialogue and setting.
  • You must tell a complete story in the form of a traditional BioWare side-quest and account for different endings/ multiple resolutions.
  • You are only allowed to use one 4x4 area in the Toolset to tell your whole story.
  • No combat or special skill use.
  • Just use the NWN retail toolset; don’t use any community add-ons.
Some additional guidelines to keep in mind:

• Dialogue should be no longer than 2-3 lines at a time.
  • The dialogue must be fun, easy to read, and not overly verbose.
  • We will also be judging the structure of your dialogue. Does the dialogue flow logically? Does the player feel in control of the conversation?
  • Avoid dialogue where the player has very little interaction. The player should feel that he is talking to an NPC, not being talked at.
  • Avoid modern sounding dialogue. Do not use modern anachronisms or slang. Fantasy characters shouldn't sound like they come from the 21st century.
  • Make the first character interesting. The first character the player talks to sets the tone for the entire module.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I've seen lots of writers' job opening on the specific video game companies' web pages.

They all tend to list about what they're looking for.

I'm sure if you wrote their HR a nice letter they'd fill in any gaps for you.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I have several friends who are game designers and they've told me this much:

In order to be a game writer, you have to eat, sleep, breathe, dream, and in all other ways think about nothing but video games. Some writers have started out as game testers, others as programmers, so that should be a good indication of just how into video games you need to be in order to write for them.

Hell, I can't even understand the guidelines dclary posted. I'm guessing that puts me out, huh?

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
You mean there are actually people who write that trite dialogue? I thought it was computer generated. . . .

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the uncomfortable answer is that you (typically) need to know someone in the industry who will give you a shot. another way is to get a job as a game tester (QA) and work your way up from there.

occasionally, a right-place-at-the-right-time situation can occur.

sorry i can't be of more help. it's just not an easy industry to break into.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
WerenCole said:
You mean there are actually people who write that trite dialogue? I thought it was computer generated. . . .

i've no doubt that you could do a far superior job than anyone who's ever undertaken it. by all means, show us how it's done.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
let em sh*t. they're the ones who look stupid, with their tongues hanging out and their backs all arched up.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I actually joined a game writers' listserv to see if I couldn't figure out what it was all about and there's one thing I can say with absolute certainty -

I don't have a clue.

They say that it's comparable to screenwriting, but I really have to call bullsh-t on that one. If there's any similarity, it's probably that you have to write some dialogue in there, too, but that's about where it ends.

I'd guess that having some familiarity with the design process would help a great deal, though. And that I'm lacking as well.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
its closest kin would be screenwriting, because there is the dialogue and some action cues. however, so much of the writing is situational that there must be multiple, sometimes dozens of "versions" dependent on player choice. there are also branching "if-then" paths that dialogue has to take, again because of the uncertainty of an interactive plotline.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
incidentally towerkel, you might want to check out the job postings on gamasutra.com (it requires a free registration).

also, if you'll PM or email me and let me know your location, i can do a bit of checking around and see if i have any connections near you.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
PCon, it's more like writing a "choose your own adventure" screenplay.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Towerl, if you have a week's vacation to blow:

The Game Developers Conference is held once a year, and draws ALL the game companies, ALL the hardware manufacturers, EVERYONE. It's a FANTASTIC party, huge number of seminars, everything.

And if you can't afford the tax-deductible costs of attending, then you can go for free.

The year they held it in Long Beach, I volunteered to "work" the convention. You get no pay (though they feed you), and you actually have to work a good part of the convention, but during your off time you can go to seminars, meet and greet, do the exhibition floor, the booth crawl party, everything. I met Sid Meier, talked to Microsoft's Age of Empires design team, and made some great contacts with many game companies.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to get to know designers from companies that you want to work for. Play their games, hang out on their boards, discuss how aspects of the game could be improved. That's what got me a feeler from a company.

I once became penpals with a game designer from a major company. He and I even worked on an unofficial mod for the game together, and he enjoyed my game fanfic. He liked my writing style, both fiction and game dialogue, so when his company was hiring a new designer, we discussed the possibility of me making it a career. I decided not to try for the job, but having the good opinion of someone in the field would have been a big benefit if I had.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
The writing in video games is getting better and better as it becomes more and more competetive.

Resident Evil 4, for example, was scripted really well I thought.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I'd do it, if I thought someone would hire me and it wouldn't impact my novels.

You really shouldn't hire me. I don't get along well with authority figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.