Status
Not open for further replies.

ruecole

Chronic Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelelizabethcole.com
In my WIP, my MC's house floods from a broken toilet. They've been out to dinner and come home to two inches of water on the main level and more in the basement.

First thing her hubby does is head for the basement and turn off the water and the power. Then they call the insurance company, who tells them they'll send an adjuster around in the morning to make an assessment. They're left to clean up as best they can. So they proceed--by flashlight--to haul all the boxes of personal stuff out of the basement and out to the garage, then their couches and tables and chairs, etc. Then they try to get as much of the water out of the house--at least the main floor--as they can. Then they collapse into bed.

So, questions:

Should they turn off the power or not?

Would the adjuster wait till morning or come right away?

Should they try to get rid of the water or wait to call a clean up crew?

Thanks!

Rue

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they should turn off power only because they don't know not to. It is a very reasonable thing to assume it should be done. You can qualify it by acknowleding that they don't know what to do, then do it. Fuses will not just blow because of water, water would have to short between exposed live parts. Often, water is not impure enough to be a short circuit so it acts as a resistance which smolders. So be careful of those sparky scenes in the movies and tv. It doesn't happen like that.

now, a toilet flooding on the main level doesn't present as much oof a water hazard as being on the second floor. The furniture would be wet, sure but at the base only as much as it gets absorbed. I'm thinking 2 inches may not be enough to cause major flood. On the second floor, however, I can envision all kinds of dripping from the ceiling, light fixtures, walls, etc.
A leaky toilet though has me wondering why not just shut it off at the toilet valve.
A burst pipe in the attic is a classic reality. Especially up north where there are extremes in temperatures. This is a common calamity even down here in Florida (my MIL just had major flooding due to this).

So yes, turn off the power because you don't know whether you need to or not.

the1dsquared

Dave Diamantes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deadpenpals.com
Question. Is the water from the tank? (clean water and the overflow was caused by a malfunctioning float valve or a broken line to the tank) OR is it a sewer back-up (close to horror movie disgusting and everything it touched has to be destroyed or disinfected)

You don't necessarily have to turn off the power, unless water has gotten in the electrical system components. If water is in light fixtures, don't turn them on.

Most modern homes have circuit breakers. The main breaker shuts off the power. Doing that while standing in water can get you killed.

If the leak is on the first floor, the water will find its way to the basement. Two inches of water on the first floor isn't likely, it would run downstairs through openings in the floor and walls too quickly. They will need to mop and maybe use a shop vac to get up as much water from the carpets as possible.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A relative had something like that happen a couple years ago. The upstairs commode was running and overflowed on the 2nd floor. It ruined carpeting in the bedroom next to the bath, then leaked into downstairs rooms, ruining the floors there also. . .not every single room, but several. I don't know how long before their adjuster came, but they rented some kind of wet vac, got up as much as they could, then had fans blowing trying to dry out the carpet, walls, etc. Ended up with new flooring anyway.

In my own experience, a nephew flushed the commode as we were leaving the house and it hung and didn't stop when refilling the tank. After being away about 4 hours we came home to about an inch of standing water in most of the house (concrete floors). It was late Friday night and my husband waited until Saturday to call the adjuster. We couldn't get him right away and we thought the carpet was a goner no matter what, so we went ahead and pulled it all up. They paid, but told us anytime that happened in future to call before ripping it out. The adjuster didn't show up until Monday anyway, so we would have been squishing around all weekend if we hadn't ripped the carpet out.

In both cases, it was something that could be stopped by turning the water off at the commode. We don't have basements in this area, so neither house had a basement. In neither case was the power turned off. If you're using a wet vac you have to have power. We hooked up in a dry area and worked into the wet. Of course, we were careful. . .we weren't running the washer/dryer or blowing our hair dry while standing in water either.

In 2 hours you might get squishy carpets and standing puddles in some rooms, but you won't have 2 inches from an overflowing toilet. You'd have to have a bigger break. . .maybe the water pipe coming up to the commode tank and it came apart at the cutoff valve so the cutoff valve doesn't work so water would be spraying everywhere? I don't know if that would work. Maybe some of the guys could tell you on that.

ruecole

Chronic Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, everyone.

Yes, the water supply valve to the toilet tank has burst and so there's been about 20 L of water spewing into the house all evening. In three hours that's like 3600 L. A LOT of water.

Certainly, though, even if the majority of it ends up in the basement, the main floor would end up pretty wet? At least an inch or two on the hallway floor outside the bathroom door?

Also, the house was built in 1913. It's been renoed in the last ten years, so I'd guess the electrical would be updated.

FWIW, I'm not trying to destroy my MC's home, just cause a big enough disaster to compound the problems they're already having.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

Rue

ruecole

Chronic Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Innkeeper.

The bathroom has tiled floors, so the water would have to go out into the hallway, I think. Sounds like their basement would be absolutely full of water, though. Yuck.

FWIW, my brother had a similar flood to this--though it was the water supply to his dishwasher that went, not the toilet--and, as I recall, they had several inches of water on their main floor and almost a foot in the basement! Mind you, the water ran all night. They had fir floors, just like my MC. I'd call and pick his brain, but he's on vacation right now and I can't get ahold of him!

I haven't thought about a floor drain. Probably if they do have one, it's buried under boxes or somesuch. Either way, they're gonna be up all night dealing with it! :D

Thanks!

Rue

Status
Not open for further replies.