How do you find other author's agents?

M.A.Gardener

Registered
Reaction score
I keep hearing that it's a good idea to query agents who represent books that are similar to yours. I've looked in book forwards to try to find out their agents, and I'm going through Jeff Herman's book right now, but I'm not having any luck. I've even looked on author's web sites. Seems like a tightly-guarded secret! Are there any other resources that would take me right to them? (I'm writing a mystery.)
:Sun:

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
I found many authors' agents mentioned in their acknowledgments. But if you're not having much luck, try searching the other way around. Check out agents' websites and look at their lists, or their listings in the 2006 Guide to Literary Agents. You can also find many by subscribing to Publishers Marketplace online.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yoy can also try googling the author's name and the words, in quotes, "literary agent" or just "agent." This will sometimes give you a hit, for example an interview or article with a phrase like, "Author X's literary agent, Rhonda Sellsalot, says she has high hopes..." etc.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
If that doesn't work, you can always ask the author directly. A polite e-mail has a good chance of getting an answer. I've had several people ask about my agent, and I've never had a problem sharing his name and my thoughts about what he's done for me.