Ever had a Bad Boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Someone from this board (I can't remember who?) posted a link for the Bad Boss Contest:

http://www.workingamerica.org/badboss/

My story "Millionaire Dentist Stole from Employees on 9/11" is one of the finalists, which is awesome, but also bittersweet. Of all the contests in the world to win, I get the award for "Worst Boss."

There are some funny stories over there. It's too late to add an entry, but share some Bad Boss Stories of your own here! (I know you have them--I heard lots of great Getting Fired stories the day I was fired and came here to vent!)

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
your link doesn't work, CS.

but I had a really bad boss once. He was of a nationality/ethnicity that stereotypically doesn't have a high regard for women particularly in business. He fit that stereotype to a tee. Often times he would ask opinions on things. I would give an answer, he would say, "oh Be Serious, Trish!" then when one of the guys in the office would say, "I think Stew's right!" He would accept that as the man's answer, not mine. I got zero credit for anything. Whenever possible to swipe credit away from me and place it on the "more deserving of the sexes", he did happily.
he would change his mind continually and blame me for the way he asked me to do something the first time.
It was hell for 6 months with him. we did a job fair where he asked me to take charge of quite a bit of it, and right before the job fair started he told me to stand behind the table and hand out the junk marketing stuff to people while he and the men took care of the sales and marketing of it.

That's my bad boss story. I cussed that man daily! Some days a year later, I still do!

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a jerk. I can't believe you lasted 6 months!

(P.S. Fixed the link--thanks for the fyi!)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I lasted 6 months either. I don't require credit and accolades for all of my work, but respect and honesty would have been nice.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My bad boss story - The first Veterinarian I worked for, this old dude who ran a huge -- open 24/7 emergency clinic. I drew the short straw and had to work a weekend with him. Well on Saturday this 98 yr old woman brings in her 89 year old dog and leaves it with us to diagnose. Well, two hours later, the dog died - and Dr. A-whole instructed me to put it in the freezer (standard practice) only HE doesn't want to call the old lady and give her the bad news. He had 'other things' to do, and put it off. So she calls that evening, he lies, tells her dog is not well but alive.

The next day she wants to come see her pooch, make "the" decision. He tells her to come down in 2 hours, then orders me to take the dog-scicle out of the freezer, bathe it - warm it up and clean it off. Well, what was I to do? I took the frosty-pup out of the freezer, gave it a hot bath to soften it up again, then had to blow him dry, fluff him up, and pose the dog as if he were still alive.

Then Dr. A-whole goes into the room and tells this poor, sweet old lady that her dog JUST passed away three minutes before she drove up.

I'm pretty sure Dr. A-whole has to be in dementia by now, and I really hope someone poses HIM properly every day in the 'home' !

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
My bad boss story - The first Veterinarian I worked for, this old dude who ran a huge -- open 24/7 emergency clinic. I drew the short straw and had to work a weekend with him. Well on Saturday this 98 yr old woman brings in her 89 year old dog and leaves it with us to diagnose. Well, two hours later, the dog died - and Dr. A-whole instructed me to put it in the freezer (standard practice) only HE doesn't want to call the old lady and give her the bad news. He had 'other things' to do, and put it off. So she calls that evening, he lies, tells her dog is not well but alive.

The next day she wants to come see her pooch, make "the" decision. He tells her to come down in 2 hours, then orders me to take the dog-scicle out of the freezer, bathe it - warm it up and clean it off. Well, what was I to do? I took the frosty-pup out of the freezer, gave it a hot bath to soften it up again, then had to blow him dry, fluff him up, and pose the dog as if he were still alive.

Then Dr. A-whole goes into the room and tells this poor, sweet old lady that her dog JUST passed away three minutes before she drove up.

I'm pretty sure Dr. A-whole has to be in dementia by now, and I really hope someone poses HIM properly every day in the 'home' !
You just can't make stuff like that up.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
My bad boss story: When our 911 center started they hired this woman from down south to come in and get it started (the sheriff departments were doing their own dispatching at that time and we were starting a consolidated 2 county dispatch). Well, she was a complete nutjob! She pitted us against the deputies and officers, and then pitted us against each other. She watched us at all hours of the day and even had her husband spying on us. Then she would write us up for silly infractions like wearing khaki pants that weren't issued, even when they looked exactly the same and for breaks that went 45 seconds over our alloted 10 minutes. She even hired a new person that she met at the store and faked her test results so she could hire her. She kept it up until we were all so scared of each other and paranoid about everyone else that we could barely work anymore.

When we finally started to realize what she was really doing, we banded together, terrified of getting fired, and went over her head to the 911 board and told them what she was doing. Fortunately, they fired her on the spot and we finally got a decent boss. I couldn't believe how much better it was after that. Like night and day...I only wish we had done it sooner but she was a master manipulator and we didn't realize it right away. It still makes me sick when I see her around town.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
My bad boss was so bad, he ruined my entire life. And my life is still ruined, 8 years later.

What's for supper?

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Pam, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Kristie, that woman sounds awful. You'd think for an organization like emergency response, professionalism and results would be of #1 importance. I'm glad you and the workers were able to get rid of her. What a nut job.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:

What an evil person. I hope he is living with mental anguish, indignity, and in great pain.

I've never had a really bad boss, just a few really weird ones.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband has a sucky boss and I have a great one. Mine told me on my first day that if he doesn't see me or hear about me, he assumes I'm going a great job. This has held true and he even gives bonuses.

My husband has to clock in and out on his breaks so that he doesn't go over his allotted time.

Basically, I work in a democratic republic where the children run free and happy. He works in a dictatorship.

The best part: We work for the same organization. Just different departments.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used the Chicago method . . . "vote early and often".

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the votes, those of you who have been kind enough!

Can't believe there aren't more bad boss stories on this board. Gotta be more...

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I had a really bad boss when I worked as the office mgr at a temp agency. She was my third boss in 5 years. (The first two were bad but not BAAAD.)

The bad boss hated me immediately. Even though I was fabulous at my job, I was not the person she would have hired. She couldn't fire me without cause so she treated me terribly.

She'd belittle everything I did, even when done correctly. She made me cry in in a meeting once (I don't cry easily) by tearing apart a successful project I'd worked very hard on.

Once when I developed food poisoning after a couple of hours at work, she wouldn't let me go home. She said I had to stay at work until she got in a replacement. I sat at my desk for another 4 hours, puking into my trash can, and answering phones, while she did nothing to get a temp. Finally one of my coworkers insisted she send me home because I was making her sick too.

Another time, I called her before work because I had to take my husband to the emergency room and couldn't open the office. She asked me to come in until she got a temp and take my husband to the hospital later. Remembering the food poisoning incident, I said "what part of emergency don't you understand?" and hung up.

She was in an abusive relationship and her boyfriend once came into the office with a gun. They had restraining orders, domestic violence arrests, the whole 9 yards. Charming.

She clandestinely started interviewing for a replacement for me. One of my coworkers found out and told me that she had someone lined up, and was just waiting for me to do one little thing wrong so she could can me.

Meanwhile, although I loved my work, she made me so miserable I was job hunting. I gave notice the day after she came back from vacation. I later heard that the replacement she'd lined up had taken another job. She couldn't find anyone else, and when I left 2 weeks later, she had no one available.

The one thing I'm most proud of is that I never stooped to her level. I was completely professional the whole time. One of my co-workers wrote me a wonderful reference letter that talked about my positive attitude and "grace under pressure."

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Pomegranate, she sounds like a real peach. How do people like that ever get into management?

Writerteri, admitting it is the first step.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I voted you were only 16 votes behind.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please vote. We can't leave Cat Scratch out on that horrible island where the weather is perfect and coconuts are free.

;-)

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, thanks, Alley. You gave away my secret. But taking a coconut will get you thrown in jail, or at least get you a very dirty look.

Actually, though, leaving this island is very expensive and I'm trying to see my brother-in-law on the mainland before he is deployed to Iraq, so your votes are going to a very good cause. Please vote for my story, everyone!

Thanks.

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
My boss sucks.

What a taskmaster. Never gives me a single freakin' day off. Expects me to show some interest in this stupid business. Demands high output. AND insults me whenever I don't meet these arbitrary, impossibly high standards.

Oh, wait a sec----my boss is ME. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cat Scratch said:
Haha, thanks, Alley. You gave away my secret. But taking a coconut will get you thrown in jail, or at least get you a very dirty look.
They have a charge for coconut thief? I'm glad Tennessee didn't prosecute for pumpkin thief. I would still be doing time.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Sailor Kenshin said:
My boss sucks.

What a taskmaster. Never gives me a single freakin' day off. Expects me to show some interest in this stupid business. Demands high output. AND insults me whenever I don't meet these arbitrary, impossibly high standards.

Oh, wait a sec----my boss is ME. :D

Ah, yes. I've fallen into this trap. I'm always much harder on myself than I would be on another person. Trying to get over that.

Please keep voting, everyone! I'm sorry I'm getting a little spammy, but it's my birthday. So you can forgive me, yes? *smiles sweetly*

(Incidentally, the "it's my birthday" card already got me a free ride to work and an extra shot of espresso. And it's only 9:30!)

Status
Not open for further replies.