Students and Blogging

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a reason to get students to blog in my blog. I'd love some feedback and your thoughts. As you'll read, if you click on my blog link in my sig line, I feel that having the students blogs will really enhance their learning and writing.

I am just curious what some of you think? How young is too young to start a blog?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
FatTire said:
I wrote a reason to get students to blog in my blog. I'd love some feedback and your thoughts. As you'll read, if you click on my blog link in my sig line, I feel that having the students blogs will really enhance their learning and writing.

I am just curious what some of you think? How young is too young to start a blog?
Blogging can be very good tool for the students. however, I feel that you must give enough time for moderating the posts of the students.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
FatTire said:
How young is too young to start a blog?

I don't know the ages of students you're teaching so that's a tough thing to answer. I think that kids today are so computer savvy that maybe some of them already have blogs!

I think it's a great idea but, in my opinion, you need to make sure the blogs your students will create have a focus of some type, otherwise it might just become a place to post about what they had for dinner, how they're feeling about the weather and what band they like. Which could be tough for you to read/moderate with 20 or 30 students in your class.

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I teach 5th grade currently. I also agree that the blogs should have focus, which is why I suggested topics in my blog for teachers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Deleted member 42

I've done in-service workshops for third grade teachers who wanted to incorporate blogging in the classroom, but I set up a special blogging system for them. I'd say fifth grade is about right. You do need to think of it as directed blogging, and I suggest also encouraging/requiring that they comment on each others blogs.

The liquidity of digital text also makes revising easier, though the issue of revising the content of an entry is a hot topic in the blogging community.

You might want to spend some time at Kairos.