Wierd? What do you think about this. Caller, after contacting publish america

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a letter to publish america today, to withdrawal out of my contract and then i posted that I did in the publish america war thread and less than an hour later, I get a strange call from Michigan. Someone called my cell phone, hung up as soon as they heard my voice. I called back and they hung up the phone right away (so I know they got caller I.D.) then their line stay busy for a while.

Here is why this is really creepy.

My cell phone number is new and just been changed less than three weeks ago. Only people that have the number if family and two friends which all reside In Pennsylvania (their numbers are local).
Two people (1 in new york) and another person who resides in Pennsylvania has it and neither would

I did give my number to one person here but from their profile it states they are in Virginia and they are very helpful and it is HIGHLY unlikely it is them. I'm sure of it:). .

Is publish america located in Michigan or am I wrong? i can't remember. Then the only way they could have my new number is if someone gave them my cell phone number and no one I know who has it, (less than five people) would do that and are not in michigan. Can someone look through a database of some kind. Publish America do not have my new cell phone number. So if it them, which I think could be because it happened right after I contacted them and posted my last post about wanting out of their contract.

Do people got a way of looking up peoples cell phone numbers?

It is just very strange that shortly after I send that letter to publish america, regarding statement being inaccurate and in hopes they will pull me from their contract, then someone call almost it seeme to see if it was me.

I read somewhere here they sent the police to someones house. I see no reason why they would do that to me, although we have had some arguements, unless they are deciding to take me court because of my request for specific info regarding my book printing, sales...etc. I doubt they will able to produce that info, since they are scammers and maybe they read my post and are keeping watch on me. lol.

This is seriouse because I just changed my old number because another publishing scammer was harassing me cause I told them I want my book outo f their press. They do not have my new number and they are not located in Pennsylvania, so it just seems to lead to Publish America and perhaps a spy did a search and got my cell phone number some how, accessing private information of mine in a database.

Any help with this is appreciate. I'm going to try to contact my cell phone provider and give them the number to see if there is a way to see who it is. Who ever it is can't be calling for a good reason, why else here my voice, hang up and then take their phone off the hook afterwards.

It wouldn't creep me out so much, if it wasn't my cell phone number.

Shar

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
type the phone number with area code, and dashes between the numbers into Google. it should give you the name of the place - if it is a company.
But Pa as other posters have said isn't in Michigan.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
You can look the number up, but you may be reading a bit much into this. Wrong numbers happen all the time, and some people are too embarrassed to say, "Sorry, wrong number" so they just hang up. You said you tried to call them back, and they didn't answer you. If it was only a wrong number, they probably expected you to chew them out for bothering you or something, since in their minds, why else would you be trying to call them? Then you say their phone was busy for a long time. That could very well be because they reached the person they intended to call in the first place.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check the number. I grow concern whent his happen because so far I had to change my home number and cell phone number because of publisher scammer, gave my number out to other people and they would not stop calling. You could be right leslie, I've considered that. But my numbers new and they are calling out of state, that is what made me concern. They hung up on me as soon as I called back, let it rang once and then hung up without hearing my voice. I heard the phone go on the reciever. then the line went busy. that is when it concerned me. After that the line was busy. So i'm considering leslie what you said. So I decided to wait to see if they call again. I keep thinking of that play by the famous writer August Wilson (who was a good friend of my mother and use to have lunch at my grandmothers restaurant and we had dinner with him some years back) he is from exactly from where I'm from. His play in his book. The one called, "Sorry Wrong Number" lol. If you never read it, it is great read. About an old woman who some how gets her phone line tied with some robbers. If I recall she thought she heard someone in her house but she was old and sick. She overheard the phone conversation on the phone, about a robbery and if I remember correctly, the robber was about her house. She was trying to get the operator on the phone but the lines kept crossing. I read it when I was about fifteen and loved it.

I remember getting strange calls before my building was broke in earlier this year. The police speculate the person was broke in the wrong place (apartment) and was intended to break in mine because just earlier that week someone was scoping my apartment and the guy seemed like he had the wrong place when he broke in the upstairs, so says the residence. Now there is a man coming back to my house, standing outside of my door and seem to be nocking just to see if someone is home. I said if he returns, I'm calling the police right away.

The same thing happened with my mother, she was getting strange calls (hang ups) shortly before her place was broke in. I know like a few other people it has happened to.

I will at least do a check. You got watch hang ups on cell phones. lol.

Blessings!

Shar

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have called others and found I had the wrong number and hung up promptly...but that was when I was 12 or so. I would ignore it, sometimes people either get the number wrong or misdial.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Don't sweat the phone stuff--the companies recyle old numbers all the time.

When I got a cell I'd get calls from strangers who hadn't been told the person who had the number before me changed it. It's been a couple years and I still get them.

The caller you got was likely too embarrassed to say anything.

As for PA and getting your book back--good for you!

Now--go out and get a copy of Strunk and White's ELEMENTS OF STYLE so you can clean up your writing. The less work you give an editor, the better chance you have of making a sale!

Good luck! ;)

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it being PA to much, unless of course Willie decide to go take some fishing in up in Michigan and used PA authors royalties to do it. Phone numbers get recycled all the time and the person could have had the wrong number or tried to get a hold of someone else who use to have your new number.

But it could have been Willie calling to thank you because it was your royalty money that alowed him to catch the biggest fish ever caught in Michigan. We all know Willie is good at casting out those fish tales.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I still get calls for the woman who used to have my home phone number, and we've had it for seven years now. I think she had a business, so everyone who has her old business card has my phone number. Even weirder than that, is that her last name was Morris. Morris-Norris? Purely coincidence, but strange anyway.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the phone companies recycle numbers constantly. And once a phone number gets in certain systems it takes forever for it to get out. My deceased father still gets calls, and it's been over ten years. My mom has fun devising humorous ways to deal with the phone solicitors. I still get calls for a guy who used to live here, and it's been over twenty years. And yeah, it's a different number. But they guy's apparently a deadbeat and collection agencies leave no stone unturned.

I get wrong number calls on my cell phone all the time. A local home improvement center was convinced that I was a contractor who hadn't shown up to pick up a load of supplies. Took me two weeks to convince them otherwise. I was ready to go down there and ask them if I sounded or looked like a burly contractor named Jim.

So don't sweat it. You've got better things to worry about - like placing your next book with a real publisher.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I lost the link here. Gilli, I will check out that book, thanks for the tip. I check my poetry, in microsoft word which works great for me. I also have two excellent editors who volunteer editing my writing for free. Overall there is not much to edit in my writing (of my poetry) on the first writes and I almost always post for criitque for the content. I been in the writing communities for three years and met some good people who regularly edit my work when I need it and I'm so thankful for that:). I wish I didn't have such a hectic life. Right now I'm suppose to be somewhere at 12:30, so I'm rushing. Always rushing. When I type in here, I barely have enough time to edit because I got a five year old who wants my attention to:). I'm not a new writer, just totally new at submitting my work to book publishers, but have had my work published in several small press and on-line as well as awarded. Sorry for any typos that may be confusing people. I only got a few minutes here early in the day and at night, so I try to make it quick, so I can check my mail to:). I wish I could spend more time here:). I got an update on what's going on. Right after I got that strange call and I posted here and I sent a letter to publish america requesting an audit and also about my royalty statement being wrong, they have sent me a letter in which I got to sign to get, so I think something is up. I missed the delivery of a week and a half ago (the same time I started posting here). It is strange that they did not answer my e-mail but now they are sending me a certified letter. I know it got to have something to do what I got to say about their publishing and the letter I sent them, for there is no reason why they should be contacting me. I didn't have to sign for my royalty statement last time, so I know it is not that.

I will get the letter tommorrow by redelivery and will tell everyone what it said. I'm so sick of having my book with them.
I also notice today when I checked on my book at Barnes and Nobles, they are all out of copies and seem to not have ordered anymore books. Maybe it is a a coicidence, But I also notice Amazon now doesn't have any new copies either, seem to have only used copies through other sellers.
I wonder if the books were returned because publish america has let me out their contract.

It seems my book is not for sale, (any new copies through their store) at Amazon and Barnes and Nobles now. This just happened. There seems to be alot of changes since I wrote them that last letter and posted about them here. I wonder if a spy is reading my post:). One way or another they got to stop doing this to writers. My royalty statement was wrong, some stuff was wrong in the book (not the way I submitted it) and they refuse to fix it and I have not seen no real marketing of my book. It is shame that so many writers are going through this to. It makes me ill.

Blessings to all of you!

Shar

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Lets hope it's a release letter. :)

But whatever it is, it's worth reading very carefully. PA has before sent out release letters with a ridiculous gag clause in it.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Gillhoughly said:
...Now--go out and get a copy of Strunk and White's ELEMENTS OF STYLE ...
Allow me to recommend in addition William Zinsser's On Writing Well. Part I is the best short course on clear, effective writing I have ever seen. The rest of the book looks at a range of specific kinds of writing. I have been recommending that book since its first edition, more than 30 years ago. It has been in print, through about a half dozen editions, ever since.

--Ken

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
It is released letter! thank goodness!!! I screamed, "thank goodness!!" when I opened the letter. they didn't seem to put in a gag clause in my letter. Strange. They gave me all my rights back and released me from their contract. Now I have one last problem that I'm dealing with, with another publisher but I'm posing it in a new thread. (me and heard might end up in court and the publisher with a PFA on them). I want to post the info on the other publisher so everyone will also know about them.

Thanks everyone!

Blessings!

Shar

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well the phone company can assist sometimes also if it become a problem and you feel like your being harassed.