Aikido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kushiel

Registered
Reaction score
This topic looked lonely so I thought I would respond. Sadly I do not know much about Akido other then the fact I saw it preformed once and fell in love with it; which is not a hard accomplishment since I pretty much love all things Japaness. I am going to be taking classes in Akido come next month; I am really looking forward to it.

I also deeply appologize for spelling Akido wrong in the title.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Nope, but I have trained in several other forms. Personally I think any form is good as long as you cross train into another. All forms have their weaknesses. I've been training in Krav Maga and karate for about six years, both of which I instruct now. I've also trained in Jiu Jitsu, boxing, and Muay Thai. If you choose a good stand up form, make sure you complement it with a ground form. You'll be a more rounded fighter in the end.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Kushiel said:
This topic looked lonely so I thought I would respond.
Aw, thanks man. I appreciate that.

and thanks too Tiny. I was hoping to get some easy-sleasy research done here but, ah well.

In my current project my protag has taken up Akido and I was hoping to throw some jargon in. I guess it'll have to wait until a second draft when I've learned some of the jargon myself.

Looks like it's off to Half-Priced Books in the morning.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a copy of Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, which is very good. I would recommend it.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
whistlelock said:
Aw, thanks man. I appreciate that.

and thanks too Tiny. I was hoping to get some easy-sleasy research done here but, ah well.

In my current project my protag has taken up Akido and I was hoping to throw some jargon in. I guess it'll have to wait until a second draft when I've learned some of the jargon myself.

Looks like it's off to Half-Priced Books in the morning.

I know there are like 9 animal forms, but I'm not sure of any aikido-specific jargon.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Whistle:

Aikido.

Great resource for you is:

http://www.aikidofaq.com

Keep in mind that what Seagal does is far more aikijutsu than aikido, but that's because true aikido is very non-cinematic.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Not wanting to argue Western spellings of Japanese words, but I thought Seagal taught hard style Hapkido.

Tho' I'd Google-check on the spelling of a particular discipline before I let any of my characters use it. :)

-Derek
My Web Page - shameless vampyre fiction & other shameless writings.
Take the critiques you get with a grain of salt. Invariably, some of the critics will be kooks, bitter curmudgeons, or complete fools. ~odocoileus

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I practiced Aikido. not sure I can give you any more info than available on the web. Traditional Aikido had very few variances. There were some sub-styles which were spawned by popular instructors but the basic defensive philosophies were the same. I was mostly interested in the Kendo and Kenjutsu side which was also taught.

Aikido, for my money, was the best style taught, and i just about went around the whole spectrum of martial arts.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Not wanting to argue Western spellings of Japanese words, but I thought Seagal taught hard style Hapkido.

No. Definitely not. Hapkido is a Korean martial art -- essentially the "throwy-jujitsu-y" style of Korea, whereas aikido is distinctly Japanese. Seagal married a Japanese daughter of an aikido master, and eventually was allowed to teach at her father's dojo -- leading to the Black Belt magazine articles (and his early claim to fame) that he was one of the only Americans to ever teach the art in Japan.

Aikido's uniqueness, of course, is that as designed at taught, it is truly a passive art. It takes great amount of discipline and training to allow an opponent to defeat himself with the help of your timing, balance, leverage and momentum.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
my only experience in martial arts is that my 3 year old takes tae kwon do and has a yellow belt. (soon to be yellow and green)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Tai Chi I can respect. Realize, of course, that Tai Chi was watered down substantially so that some aspect of the martial arts could survive fanatical communism's attempt to destroy all pre-Mao culture.

Tae Kwon Do, however, especially as marketed and presented today, is nothing more than the kicky-punchy version of the same "rob loving parents blind" scam as dance and gymnastics classes.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
tae kwon do is okay for lil kids.

but for the love that is martial arts, take him out before he is a teen and put him in something that actually teaches a guy something practical.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
tae kwon do is okay for lil kids.

but for the love that is martial arts, take him out before he is a teen and put him in something that actually teaches a guy something practical.

well I definitely appreciate that advice. He loves the class he is in and is doing great in it. (I especially like the discipline and respect he is taught) He especially likes the being loud and kicking! ;)

I wondered where to go beyond TKD. You'll have to advise me on it more.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I don't even think TKD is good for kids. Unless you find an instructor who's old-school (pre-olympic tkd). Otherwise you're just feeding your kid a lot stuff that's going to do more harm than good if he ever has to use his skills on anything more threatening than ez-break wood slats.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
well I definitely appreciate that advice. He loves the class he is in and is doing great in it. (I especially like the discipline and respect he is taught) He especially likes the being loud and kicking! ;)

it is good for that.

although for kids, i think karate is the best, as in it teaches discpline and all that, but is still realistic. it's good for entry level and for advanced students.

I wondered where to go beyond TKD. You'll have to advise me on it more.

i suggest something that deals w/ grappling. i know he likes kicking, but grappling is a hell of a lot of fun too. :)

jujistu &, aikido are good, but i bet if your place teaches tae kwon do, it also teaches hap kido. i def. recommend doing that.

after doing that for a few years, move on into muay thai and/or kung fu.

that's pretty much the story of what i did. well, i havent done muay thai yet, but that's next.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew, you're in the STL, right? You've got a very nice variety of styles to pick from. Tell me about your kids... What's their body composition? Tall and lanky, short and stubby, fast and lithe, slow but strong?

While all styles have their individual merits, some are much better suited to particular compositions than others.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Bravo and Dclary!

He goes to World Martial Arts Academy. Young Chul Rho (if you've hear of him) is Grand Master. Their director is great. I know of a teacher who has his own place close to where I live that does karate classes, but not sure if they will start with a 3 year old. How hard is it to "unteach" a youngster what he was taught in one type of M.A. and move them to another?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
Thanks Bravo and Dclary!

He goes to World Martial Arts Academy. Young Chul Rho (if you've hear of him) is Grand Master. Their director is great. I know of a teacher who has his own place close to where I live that does karate classes, but not sure if they will start with a 3 year old. How hard is it to "unteach" a youngster what he was taught in one type of M.A. and move them to another?

you dont unteach. at 1st its annoying and frustrating b/c you think you know something better than the new teacher, but later on, the kid is going to be able to integrate all of that knowledge in a real world setting.

good stuff.

P.S> anyone know where i can learn how to do the zidane headbutt??? :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
dc - my three year old is tall thin and fast as hell. He's doesn't have a lot of body mass at all. Most of the time if other parents in his class comment on him they say, "my god, he's fast!" that's definitely Kyle.
Jack is still too young - he's built like a brick shithouse. short, full body, long waist. Lots of mass on him, but that may change, he's still young.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Oops... company meeting. I'll have an answer for you in about 90 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.