Need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miki

Hi, I'm new here, I'm writing a book set in the sixties in a small town in West Texas, can anyone give me an idea of what West Texas in the sixties would look like, sa the makeup of such a town, businesses, type of houses, the scenery around it etc. Most of what I've found in research is present day stuff.
Thanks
Miki

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
A lot of West Texas towns would be small and a main highway (two lane) would run through them with a downtown business district of two or three blocks, maybe a small courthouse on one side (if it's the county seat).

In McMurtry's early novels he used his hometown of Archer City, TX but renamed it. I've been to Archer City and it's as described above. So are many other small West Texas towns.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Innkeeper said:
You might actually want to broaden your search and take a look at Route 66. Route 66 passed through the Texas Panhandle running from Chicago to L.A. but it also passed through New Mexico and Arizona. Best of all - the heyday of Route 66 was the 60s - so the motels, gas stations, diners and so forth (especially in the Texas panhandle, Arizona, New Mexico) are largely frozen in time and would be quite similar to what you're actually looking for.

A casual search gave me the following motel:
http://www.mungermoss.com/

Curio shops, adobe buildings, countryside:
http://www.historic66.com/photo/new-mexico.html

1950's photo of Albuquerque:
http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/gallery/numex014.h

abandoned farm house outside Amarillo, Texas along with other pictures of route 66 in Texas:
http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/gallery/texas007.htm
http://www.synaptic.bc.ca/gallery/txrt66.htm

a site that purports to be the Largest Route 66 resource website on the web with links to all sorts of picture galleries, slide shows etc.
http://route66.itgo.com/8states.html#SEE

Best wishes,

David

Munger Moss is in Missouri.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Innkeeper said:
So? I never said it was or wasn't. Geez Louise ... Everyone's a critic. If you really want to help, find Miki some decent links.

The point of the matter is that this was a 60's motel and it has some really neat room interor photos.

With the standardization of service afforded by motels, one motel pretty much looked like another back in the 60's.

No offense was intended - it was an effort to provide correct information. And, while it wasn't said to be in Missouri, it was intimated. As a lifelong Missouri resident I assure everyone that although Munger Moss is on the old Route 66, there is a extreme difference between the geography of Missouri and West Texas. And, as a fan who has often traveled 66 from Missouri to California, motels in the 1960's often were quite different. Many motels along 66 also were built long before the 1960's. I've shot many photographs of remaining hotels and the ruins of others along the route.

Over the past decade I've spent a great deal of time in Texas - and central Missouri and any part of Texas are quite different. So are different regions of Texas - East Texas is nothing like West Texas and within Missouri, regions are very diverse.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
West Texas and south central are pretty different in many respects, but Innkeeper knows. He's an expatriate Texan. ;) He has some excellent suggestions.

I've lived in several small west Texas towns. My memory of the older towns is that there is always a main street down the middle and it is very wide. The streets were wide enough that you could park your car at the curb, and I don't mean paralell. The curbs were very high and some had little concrete steps up to the sidewalks. The sidewalks were almost like covered porches--think of the precursor of strip malls.

I was a child in the sixties, but I remember a Motts (five and dime) a drug store, a Piggly Wiggly. I'm sure there were many more, but those are the ones that mattered to me because they carried rock candy. West Texas towns were a lot like most small southwestern towns during that era. One thing to know about that regions--sixties or not--is that the weather is extremely harsh.
The wind in the panhandle is ferocious and causes frequent dirt storms. They actual cause "brown outs." The dirt storms turn things red and coat everything in red dust. I remember my aunt hanging out cloth baby diapers to dry after doing laundry. We had a big dirt storm. The diapers remained pink even after washing them with bleach. We had hail storms every spring. That region is also very prone to tornados, but it is flat as a pancake and you can see the storms coming for miles in advance. It is rarely a surprise.
Once I remember it raining in the middle of a brown out. The dirt in the air turned to mud and it brought traffic to a halt. It blocked out the sun. I was very scared.

Oh, and it's hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. Doesn't that sound like fun? On the bright side, the people are as nice and as genuine as you could ever want to meet.

I can't come up with titles and I stink at links, but I suggest searching Amazon or B&N for titles of memoires of people who grew up in that region. My mother is forever reading things like that.

Best of luck

gromhard

Banned
Reaction score
I'm from West Texas. I wasn't around in the 60s though so my description only references scenery.

West Texas, Odessa, San Angelo, Brownsville is very very barren. Even today between the towns it's flat until you get to the hills. The "hills" don't go higher than about your average mole hill(like 100-150 feet at best) but in texas that is impressive.
You can drive from Dallas to El Paso and for over 2 hours will never get a radio station. It's that spread out even today. When you drive through a town you see that not much has changed. They still have barber shops, men's lodges, town squares with gazebos. In one small town, Comanche, if memory serves there was this big tree that had been there since the fourties and used for lynchings. The rope from a previous hanging still wrapped around it's thick branch with a sign above it that read: ****** don't let the sun set on your black *** in town.
Needless to say...I didn't.
Between the towns it's treeless ranches. Dirt roads connecting them, family cemeteries, cows and free fertillizer(manure) loaded up along the sides of the road for any who want it.
Every so often you'll suddenly pass an orange orchard though. If you've never seen beauty before then just image a flat, barren land, only small tumble weeds and bushes amidst the dirt for as far as the eye can see in either direction, and all of a sudden there's maybe a football field of green orange trees lined up all in a row. They're planted in real grass and they look magnificent.
Nowadays you can see Llamas or Emus but I doubt they were there in the 60s.
Also Texas is big...from Dallas to San Angelo you're going to see more trees and more hills becoming more and more sporadic the further south you get.
An hour outside of San Angelo and your done with hills until Mexico. Now it's simply flat dessert with oil rigs lining the sides of the road.
A good movie that really captures the look of small town west Texas is "Five Easy Pieces" in the first act when Nicholson and Karen Black are still in Texas. That movie I think is early 70s.
Another good one is "The Last Picture Show" but any fan of McMurtry will already have seen that one.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website

Miki

Fantastic

Thank you, Gromhard, Johnnysannie, Soccer Mom and Innkeeper, this is just what I needed. I have the story all blocked out in my head and I know where I'm going and who my characters are but I didn't have a good visual of the place. It's there now. I had the same problem with my second book, set in the early 70's in New Mexico it took a while to get it situated and real in my head and on paper. I like to make my stories as accurate as possible and the first book was okay because I've been in Montana in the late seventies but the other two are taking a lot more research. Now if I could just get an agent interested in them I'd be flying.
Oh well, I'd better invest in a very large filing cabinet for all the paper and picture print-outs, everything is spilling off the desks and tables and onto the floor.
Thank you again,
Miki

Status
Not open for further replies.