Not open for further replies.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Advertisements, especially on T.V., are not the places to learn correct grammar, but it bothers me to see and hear incorrect usage. Even though one shouldn't learn from ads, they do teach. They teach (youngsters especially) bad grammar.

One type of phrase stands out to me as a blaring error, when a business claims to have
"more cars than anyone", or "lower rates than anyone", or "bigger selection than anyone".

Can't anyone else hear my elementary school teacher ask "Do you really have more cars than yourself?"

I'm not in advertising, but would it violate some secret rule if the simple word "else" were added to the end?
icon12.gif

Last edited:

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I think that most people understand the implied comparison -- Lower rates than anyone [else's rates]. The end goal of grammar is clarity. I don't see much confusion here.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see confusion, but I share dobiwon's reaction to the illogic of those "...than anyone" statements.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
dobiwon said:
Advertisements, especially on T.V., are not the places to learn correct grammar, but it bothers me to see and hear incorrect usage. Even though one shouldn't learn from ads, they do teach. They teach (youngsters especially) bad grammar.

One type of phrase stands out to me as a blaring error, when a business claims to have
"more cars than anyone", or "lower rates than anyone", or "bigger selection than anyone".

Can't anyone else hear my elementary school teacher ask "Do you really have more cars than yourself?"

I'm not in advertising, but would it violate some secret rule if the simple word "else" were added to the end?
icon12.gif

I don't have a problem with this. Sometimes words are supposed to be understood. You shouldn't have to spell out every detail. "Bigger selection that anyone else is understood.

English teachers are wonderful things, but a writer who always follows their rules is in for a world of hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.