TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
:rant:
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

This is a bit of a rant, but, this is the place (if any) to do it, no? Hopefully some of you will understand where I am coming from.

You see, I am a bit of a "feedback wh0re". If someone wants to read my stories, I will shove it into their face and ask for the most advanced critique they can muster.

I was highly disappointed by a certain "certified" critiqued at the library yesterday.

After reading my story, all they did was point out spelling errors and then leave the most heart shattering comment I have ever heard.

"Well, it's good. For a teenager." S H A T T E R.

I had to explain to them (chew them out) that I did NOT ask them to judge my work based on my age, but on the QUALITY of the work itself. If I'm writing like a sixteen year old, then by God tell me how I can fix it! Do not think that I will be satisfied with a "Well, because of your age, I am impressed." NONONONONONONO! No cookie, take it out of your freaking mouth now!

Even if I don't tell people how old I am, they can still tell that I'm pretty young. I might have to find out how to disguise myself as an older person just so I can get decent feedback from these people.

It's obvious that being "impressed" by my age and not my work will NEVER help me become a honorable writer, much less an author of any sort.

HOW can I break out of my shell a little to help these people see that, in my most critcal years ( as an old teacher of mine used to call it), I need the most brutal and violent critique they can manage?

"It's good, for a teenager." Sigh. Sigh again.
A burning question- will I just have to settle for that until I age a little more?

An even more burning question- is my writing talent so untapped that I'm still writing like someone my age is expected to? Oh, I hope not...

- A little bit blue Andrea

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ah yeah, the condescending attitude. I haven't encountered much of it, actually, but that's because I rarely ask older people for crits. If there are people my age who'll give a more valuable insight (and there are), why bother?

Just ignore her, that comment only denotes how immature SHE is. After all, maturity is NOT measured in years.

So you do the mature thing and stick your tongue out at her!! :e2tongue:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hee hee you cheered me up a little. Perhaps it's the fun smiley...

Most of the people by age give decent feedback (which I highly appreciate) but they also tend to be a little too nice. Just had a thought- what if I get an enemy to read it? Hmm... It'll take some persuasion, but...

Well, I guess that's what AW is here for, to disregard age and tell it for what it is...

:D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If you take it from the critiquer's point of view, maybe she thought it was average at best, but since you're younger you still have the potential to improve and become even better?

I'm not saying your work isn't any good. I'm saying that the chances of your work being better in ten years is astronomically good. That the critiquer liked the work enough to say so is a big plus. That she qualified that the work could have been much better with age and maturity behind the page says more.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A lot of people do, but I find that it can be useful (sometimes). I think it can be crucial, because random people will (hopefully) be reading the stories. Why shouldn't random people give the feedback as well?

Sadly, I find that my views on that have been changing recently. Screw random people...

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I tried thinking of it from that perspective, but it still put a damper on my ego...

That fact that she would bring my age up when it wasn't needed DOES show that she thought of my potential, but I still hope that I can break the age barrier early. Naturally, I'm a bit reluctant to take it as a compliment.

"I hate settling for this... " says my child's stubborness. Or maybe it's an old lady's stubborness? Ho ho!
...sigh...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
maybe your age was the mitigating factor in the relative evaluation of your work's quality. a sixteen year-old being told their work is good for a sixteen year-old is a far bigger compliment than a thirty year-old being told the same thing.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually take it as a compliment. They really mean "I usually don't see teenagers who write that well, so if you continue to work on your writing, you should be good to go in 10 whatever years."

In other words, you have the potential to get a lot better and write something publishable in the future.

Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
- A little bit blue Andrea

You're a girl? I didn't realize that.

You're a pretty good poster for a girl.

ETA:;)

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to tell you the truth, until today I didn't know you were 16 AND female. Nevertheless, you're still older than me. :D Write on, girl! Write on.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
YA writers spend all their time trying to get the teenage voice down :) Maybe I'll get a teen to critique me and tell me, "Not bad, for an old broad." ha! Perfect! The grass is always greener.
Before being shattered, what were the credentials of the reviewer? Was it some academic from the local college, or someone you had admiration for..... what was the source of giving him/her the power to shatter you?
Put it this way -- if some prune-faced codger who was the type of person who never missed church on a Sunday morning because of a hilarious and eventful Saturday night HATED my work, I'd be so pleased. I'm not writing for a certain audience, and I'm not concerned with pleasing everybody. And if someone is indicating your age is relevant to your usefulness as a writer, they aren't critiquing your work, they are critiquing you. Seriously. An adult would never hear "Not bad, for a middle-aged soccer mom who works in the local embroidery shop and has no idea what it's like to work for the CIA." Move on, and save the shattering for more crucial book reviews in the future.
I do critiques for one teen writer, and I can say this about him: he has the imagination of a writer, the word choice of a writer, and the drive of a writer...but he lacks adult emotional responses to situations, and so sometimes his character's responses to situations are not terribly "deep." They come across as not aligned well with his characterization. He lacks some wisdom that will certainly come with age. Many ply this trade for decades, but that is certainly no pre-requisite to success. If you are aware of some weaknesses you have as a teen writer, don't be apologetic and don't allow those who pander to you "Aw, look at the cute little teen writer" discourage you. Keep accumulating experiences and writing about them.

From someone whose first review as a teen writer was "Do you think you might need to talk to a counselor at school about things going on in your life that would make you write about graphic things when you ought to be going to sleepover parties?" Twenty years later - novels published by major pub house.

Go for it.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Alan Yee said:
Well, to tell you the truth, until today I didn't know you were 16 AND female. Nevertheless, you're still older than me. :D Write on, girl! Write on.

But she's still younger than me, so I get to act all condescending on her :e2tongue: (I just love this smilie!!)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
You're a girl? I didn't realize that.

You're a pretty good poster for a girl.
That's lame. What has her gender got to do with anything. Geeee...will the next male chauvinist pig please raise his hand.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I spent the last year teaching creative writing to ages 13 - 18 and I'll admit their age was a determining factor in my critiques. Why? Because I accept that a 13 year old is going to write differently than an older student.
Many people often don't harshly critique younger people's work because they don't want to hurt them. I'm not saying this applies to you in any shape or form but some younger people often become devastated when they are given suggestions for improvement. Hell, I know a ton of adults who behave that way too!
Keep up the writing. The best way to get better is to never stop!

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
It's a simple fix, but I doubt you'll have the patience for it.

Get older.

Most of the stories written by younger writers lack the emotional maturity they need.

In two years, read the story again and see if you can't tell what I'm talking about.

We all have the same problem.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko,

Do you know how young Mozart was when he completed his first opera??

Age is irrelevant!

Mozart - his talents...

They first came to light when Wolfgang was about three years old, and Leopold, proud of Wolfgang's achievements, gave him intensive musical training, including instruction in clavier, violin, and organ. Leopold was Wolfgang's only teacher in his earliest years.

There are a few child prodigies who excel beyond the mental capacity of their immediate mentors. Such children need to become challenged and enlightened by their intellectual peers.

I suggest an audience with a university counselor who can help guide you to the correct forum on campus.

Good luck,

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Jean Marie said:
Naw, I think billy's got it pretty well covered.
Doubtful. She's a smart and challenging kid. Give her an edge and discover if she is who she says, and the youthful truth will become more evident.

You could be right, but I always fall to the side of caution.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeah, this will last a long, long time. I still have people telling me, "It's pretty good, for a seven-year-old."

Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
That's lame. What has her gender got to do with anything. Geeee...will the next male chauvinist pig please raise his hand.

It's amazing how things can just fly right by certain people's heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.