I was a victim of two publishing scammers and a plaigerizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
IN ALMOST A YEAR, I WAS A VICTUM OF SCAMS OF TWO PUBLISHERS AND A PLAIGERIZER.

I want to share my experience over the past 7 months, with every writer out their in hopes that it may serve a guide in being cautious as to whom you let publish your work and who you let read your work. For what happened to me may sound like something out of a writer’s worse nightmare and that is because it was. This is lengthy letter covering entire experience but all that I say is true.

It all began at the start of looking for a book publisher. I had my work published in some small print press and had began to accomplish much in my writing, such as performing my work, getting awards and a scholarship. Well a girl who I thought was my friend at the time, referred me to Publish America, after she submitted her book. I would learn both were up to no good but it would be too late (after contracts). Our contacts would consist of lots of e-mailing and phone calls, showing how disappointed I was and needing answers to questions regarding suspicious activity of their press. I would discover that both Publisher America and the girl who referred me are publishers who are scammers.
The girl ran a publishing called Meeting of the Minds Press which is not associated in now way with Publish America. The girl who referred me, is the founder of Meeting of the Minds press (also Meeting of the Minds Journal), had her book published by Publish America.

It was last year when the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, recommended me to publish America to me. Her book cover seemed nice but I think she was too embarrassed to tell me the truth about her book and seemed to not want me to read her book, so I didn’t. I visited the website of Publish America. What I first noticed that seemed a bit strange was how they did not mention at their website how much they pay the authors. Still believing in what my friend told me, I submitted my book and I referred someone else (which will be discussed later in this article).

Anyhow, I was excited to hear they accepted my manuscript. But no sooner after, I signed their contract, I found some info on them on line that was upsetting but it was too late, my book cover was done. Things started to change. I notice their approach was firm and less welcoming. My manuscript entered the editing stage. The first copy of the editor’s proof they sent to me was awful, they had messed up on the lines breaks, which was not there in the original copy I sent them. I checked over the manuscript and sent them editing revisions. My manuscript was still in the editing stage. They sent the manuscript back and notice strangely suddenly there are words cut off and other mistakes that weren’t there.

I sent them the editing revisions again. They were supposed to take them but they did not. They sent me the final copy and the editing revisions were not take and they refuse to take them. . I kept a copy of the letter (I got concerned), and it shows clearly the mistakes they were suppose to fix in which they didn’t. I argued with them for almost two weeks and finally someone from their company informed me that the mistakes do not hurt the marketing ability of the book, in which it does. There are more than ten mistakes in the book and they are obvious mistakes.

I also noticed that they have two different release dates for my book. It is stated with my book info at several web sites that my book was released in August but they told me the official release was not until January. They were selling my book in August and were not telling me. I found out my book was released already when I found a link in Google for my book for sell. I was shocked! It was already being sold on EBay by resellers and I didn’t even know. I confronted them and they said they have nothing to do with the resellers, however, did not tell me that my book had been already for sell. During waiting for a response on this issue, I visited the girl who I referred before any of this happened (while still in the editing stage of my book).

I REFERRED A GIRL AND SHE PLAIGIRIZED MY WORK.

Remember earlier in this article I mentioned that I referred a girl to publisher America (before I knew they were a scam), after I submitted my book, well the girl showed me her manuscript and I read it during visits to her house, at her request, regarding a review. She submitted to Publish America later on after my book was released. I let her borrow my only copy and it was agreed she’d return it. . 1 month later, I tried to contact the girl about my book and she refused to answer my calls, she contacted me to tell me about her book signing but not about returning my book, so I went to her house and she returned my book and showed me her book. I was shocked to discover she had been studying my style of writing (to mimic my unique style) and also had chosen to take some content out my actual book and put it in new poems to add to her book during the editing stage of her book submitted to publish America. I reported the matter to Publish America. They did not deny that they accepted her new poems into her book during the editing stages and they agreed in a simple way that it is obvious. They took a while to respond again and told me I should take it as flattery.

I asked them how was she able to add additional poems (stealing my literary identity and taking phrases out of my book) after her book was out of the editing stage (I had spoke to her briefly during the time her manuscript was out of the editing stage and had seen the manuscript before it was submitted because she wanted a review). This shocked me because they did not take my edits when my book was still in the editing stages. They did not reply. They seemed not to care that another author took content out of a book of mine they published and then they published her book. Much of her book uses various phrases from popular literature and songs but she not cite any of the material in which she found the work. If there is a reviewer who wish to review the book yourself, her book is called, “Snappin Out” published by Publish America (you can find it Google). I seriousely think and investigation should be done of the book. I don’t know what can be done about this but this is also an example of Publish America, publishing anything and not taking the issues of plagiarism seriously. When I read exercept of her book to a music producers they were shocked to hear some lyrics from famous songs in her book and asked me if she cited and I said no and they also noted right away that her work seemed to be trying very hard to sound like my own, (this are later poems of hers). She also did not credit me in the book, though before submitting her poetry I offered critique, which led me to believe she intend to steal my literary identity and hope that would not notice. She had a copy of my book during writing the later poem to be added to her book submitted to publisher America so that is the proof that she had a way to plagiarize my work. In the copy of the book of hers she gave me when I picked my book up from her house,s he states “you have helped me much in poetry” but she was careful not to credit me in the book, for then people who had read my work would become more aware that she made an ugly attempt to steal my style of writing which is distinctive and also to take some content from my work. The poems she chose to mimic was written years ago and two previously published, appearing in my book “Un-Gloving the Hands. Poems and a Memoir” she borrowed.

A buyer of my book from Homestead Pennsylvania who wish to remain anonymous stated that “She used for your resource, kept your book to copy your literary identity, and then continued to keep your book while pushing her book. Until her book was released. I know the author of the book from when I was young. What she did was wrong”

A SCAM PUBLISHER REFERRED ME TO PUBLISH AMERICA.

Shortly after, the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press (P:ublications or Journal), who was the girl who referred me to Publish America, finally showed me the inside of her book after showing me a copy of it republished. Even her book was poorly put together as well, still I did not know yet; she was scamming authors with her press called Meeting of the Minds Publications. She did not tell me this, I suspect now she wanted my book to be scammed to by Publish America, since she could convince me to submit my work to hers, (acting sympathic) that I would trust in her and submit my work to hers, I fell in her trap and was scammed by her press to.
Seeing she had a press called “Meeting of the Minds Publications” and she had author’s I began to trust her more on a business never level to.

Her press had received a few thousand dollars in grants to publish books if I recall (at least $5,000 and she published close to 24 authors books) but she did not provide the ISBN# for any of the books, nor copyright services, my book is awful, the ink is faded and the books are stapled bound and look cheap. Several authors have complaints regarding her press, the quality of the books and also not receiving any statement regarding books sells or profits of their book. Although she has events in which the authors can read their work, she has door fees for the events and the authors can’t bring 1 guest for free. This is all while expecting 50% percent of the profit of every author’s book. She also speaks to her authors as if they are children, tells them lies when they ask about their royalties, accept for the ones that are (girl friends) of hers. She will say she was robbed…etc, which is not true. During the time she was telling them lies I was in touch with her but was not made aware of her lies until after I parted with her press and author informed me of her lies, in reply to not paying them their royalties. I found out that she drops my name to potential authors (never published before. She drops my name because I have been previously published, in hopes that will encourage them to submit their manuscript. She spies and snoops into the information of other press and tries to convince other writers to come to her press instead although her press is a scam. Her press is primarily for new authors and so they are desperate to get published and after being published by her, they realized they were scammed. During publishing my books, she asked me to advertise for her press, teach in her workshop but did not want it to be known or pay me, although her grants are for paying services for her press, yet she pays her boyfriend who is the cover art sketcher of the press. At one of her poetry events on television a month ago, she says I’m a good fiction writer (not a good poet instead) and it was shocking sense I do not write fiction (only prose which she has not heard) and I was a published poet of her press on the show to read poetry. When ever one of her authors asks to speak to me, she drills them about our conversations. One authors asked me if I knew about a publisher she can submit her second book to. I told her that I may. I didn’t see it as a problem since Meeting of the Minds does not publish more than 1 book by an author. Her angle was to discredit me in the private with some people who run big organizations (so they will not query me) and at the same time while making me think she values me as an author. I finally confronted her and asked to have my book removed, she then harassed me and gave my cell phone number out to other people (even someone apart of a televisions program) and I had to change my phone number. She then began tell lies to important people to get their respect and then use her connections as a mean of intimidating her authors, who she felt would speak out about her press scamming people. She sells the authors books at shows when they are not there and they are not aware of it. Don’t forget this same founder of Meeting of the Minds Publications is who referred me to Publish America (because they published a book of hers). Also, the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, also takes content out of writers work, I know this because I went to a reading and she read a line out of one of my poems in which I read to her when she was publishing my book. One author even mentions on their blog (which you can find it Google), never receiving any profits of their book in which they know sold and the books being poorly shipped. (I won't post the link to the blog on the board). Now the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, is slandering my name (which she was doing while publishing my book). Basically in publishing, led her to play by sides of the table, scamming me with her publishing, referring me to a publisher she was aware was no good (because of her book) and to also hurt any chances I may get with building relationships with the other authors (for she knew I was learning more about publishing and other press) and she did not want them to know the truth, such as that she could have purchased 10 ISBN$ under $300 and at least two of her authors books would have the ISBN#. Many of her authors did not know how much money she got in grants. I researched the grants she got and figured out about how much she got and she told me prior to publishing my work. She claims she got close to $10.000 in grants. I estimated at least $5.000, for sure and including the profits off the events, which was plenty enough.

I was shocked to discover when I picked up my book from her house, that she had purchased a new computer, had new stuff in her apartments and she was not working though told another author who wanted their royalties owed to them, that her place was robbed. As far as I know, at least three authors of her press have not received royalty statements and are not aware of their sales, and their books are poorly put together and they are also withdrawal their book from her press after the first year of the contract (which binds them to the press for a year with the option afterwards, to remove their book).

BACK TO PUBLISH AMERICA.

I being a victim of publishers who were scammers, doesn’t end there, it just seemed to get worse and worse. You probably are already shocked and wonder if it can get any worse. While I was struggling to get my one book removed from Meeting of the Minds Press and the founder was refusing withdrawal my book, I was waiting to at least receive an authors statement of my books from Publish America. I eventually received a statement and in it showed that I made no profit and no books sold, (A zero for royalties earned and a zero for sales) in which I knew was not right, because my mother purchased a copy and several others and my book was already being resold by people. I also had made them aware that I knew my book was selling so I was shocked they would even send me an inaccurate statement. I could no longer argue anymore, I was totally out of breath. I began researching on them entirely and that I knew it was time to write this article.

Here is a list of the issues I see surrounding Publisher America in which I notice:

• Giving authors a different release date (telling them the official release of their book is during one time when actually their book was released months before and being sold. Those profits during the time when the book was actually released, is not being added to the authors first royalty statement.
  • Messing up the format of the manuscripts when converting to PDF and not fixing it all, regardless if the book is still in the editing stages. They deciding to publish the book with the mistakes and making the authors think the book is still marketable, although from what I have learned there are authors with many mistakes in their books.

• I don’t feel Publish America do any real marketing; accept purchase a global distribution package for the books. The authors see their books selling at some places and assume they are marketing the book, when Global distribution package makes your book available to be picked up by book sellers. Technically this is not considered marketing for the books. I do not hear about books signing planned for the authors, free marketing package provided for the authors, resources of marketing given to the authors, advertising the books (other than on their website)…etc.
  • Publish America pays seems to pay the same royalty amount on all books regardless of the size of the book and quality.
  • They have so many books published that it is hard to believe they are not a vanity press and actually select their books carefully.
  • Publish America does not take concern for books they publish that plagiarize others peoples work.
  • Beware, for there seems to be other publication names associated with them, other names used). I questioned them about that and they said it is their printing. I had read a post that had a list of two names associate with also being Publish America. Still doesn’t make sense.

In the End

I have no idea of how much money I profited off my book with Meeting of the Minds Press or from my book with Publish America in the past year and each publisher seem to not care whether I know or not or to even tell me in writing and produce a statement. Although I know at least once copy of my books sold through each press. The girl who plagiarized my work, feels she got away with it. She lives just a block away from me and has relations with people who commit crimes and the last thing I want is someone to attack me with my daughter on the street. Since I’m unable to afford a lawyer I feel helpless to see justice served. All of this was very upsetting to me, for I have had my work published in print by other press and never had I experienced anything in the publishing world this awful within just 12 months beginning in August of 2005. I saw my dreams of being published turn to dust.

What saddens me, is that I had several other publisher on my list, two in which I spoke to who was accepting manuscript and they were real publishers. However, they do not accept previously published manuscripts, so now I can’t submit my books to them to be republished. Feel free to use this article on-line in effort to expose publishers who are scammers.

My Books They Published

My two books are:
“Un-Gloving the Hands. Poems and a Memoir” published by Publish America.
“Crazy Close. 90 Degrees” Published by Meeting of the Minds Press (also Meeting of the Minds Journal).

I’m seeking assistance on how to go about having my book removed from Publish America and am seeking republication by a REAL publisher and one with good ethics. If anyone knows of publishers that republish books, I’d greatly appreciate receiving the info. If you’d like further information on this post, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I wish all the writers the best of luck, in submitting their work. I have one important piece of advice to pass on that I wish I had of remembered to take during getting my work published. Always Research and Investigate Any Business in Which You Intend to Sign A Contract, Involving Signing Over Rights to Any Product of Yours. Keep believing in your work and do not let a bad publishing experience, scare you away from following your dreams of seeing your book published with tender loving care and being able to make a profit of some kind off your book.

.Peace and Love to All Artists and Writers

S. Hunter-Wilson

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
What can I do to help stop publish america.

I want out of their contract, fast. I can't afford a lawyer but I have kept most of our e-mails including the ones from the editing stage of my book in which they were suppose to take the edits but they didn't. Can't I tell them I want out of their contract, since they did not hold up to their end of the bargain in taking the edits for my book. They do not want to respond to me at all now. I'm going to prepare a letter to them stating why and it be stated that I want out of their contract.

Here is the issues:

1. They did not take the edits I suggested during th editing stage. I have a copy of the e-mail I sent to them.
2. The told me my book was being released in January 2006 and it was released in August of 2005 and was selling in november-december 2005
3. My royalty statement shows there was no sales between August and Febuary 2006 and that is not true, I saw my book selling at on-line stores. I found a link just searching and that is how I found out my book was selling.
4. They have an author who is plaigirising peoples work and have taken some phrases out my work and they told me to take it as flattery and they don't care.
5. I do not see any marketing of my book. Most of the book stores on-line that have my book info don't even have a cover of my book. When I asked them to send a copy to the people, they told me that I need to.

Can I use this in a letter of request to have my contract cancelled. I have copies of all our letters. I should let them know that, maybe that will make them see I have evidence of me writing them with concerns regarding all this.

I'm with you on forming a petition and stopping them. Something needs to be done. I have have had it with them completely.

I can't afford an attorney at this time but I'm consider getting a free consultation.

If we all get a petition and letters together to send to a talk show or new reportnig channel maybe this will get all those who are in the petition out of their contract. I'm willing to help with organizing the potetition. I'm not afraid of them, I will battle them my entire life about my book if I got to. My major in college is criminal investigation.

One thing I don't see is if they did not produce the books good, (taking the editing suggestions) then can't this be a reason for them to show they acted poorly in their services. I have seen stuff like this in court and the people won because the product was not good.

Blessings!

Shar

Last edited:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
This is kind of a weird thread to post this in.

I'm really interested in hearing more about allegation #4 on your list above.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
thank you so much for your understand and advice. I will do that today. XNavigatorX. I posted a thread covering the entiring experience. In my next post I will post some examples out of the book "Snapping Out" which plaigirizes peoples work and was published by Publish America. The author of it has attempt to copy my style of writing and has take two phrases from some of my work, (that I noticed right away). I'm p osting all that I recognized right away. I could not read any more of the book because it makes me angry when I see a writer trying to steal the literary identity of other writers. there was some minor mistakes in the article so I fixed it up, so not to confuse anyone.

Here is the article I wrote that was in the thread I posted:

IN ALMOST A YEAR, I WAS A VICTUM OF SCAMS OF TWO PUBLISHERS AND A PLAIGERIZER.

I want to share my experience over the past 7 months, with every writer out their in hopes that it may serve a guide in being cautious as to whom you let publish your work and who you let read your work. For what happened to me may sound like something out of a writer’s worse nightmare and that is because it was. This is lengthy letter covering entire experience but all that I say is true.

It all began at the start of looking for a book publisher. I had my work published in some small print press and had began to accomplish much in my writing, such as performing my work, getting awards and a scholarship. Well a girl who I thought was my friend at the time, referred me to Publish America, after she submitted her book. I would learn both were up to no good but it would be too late (after contracts). Our contacts would consist of lots of e-mailing and phone calls, showing how disappointed I was and needing answers to questions regarding suspicious activity of their press. I would discover that both Publisher America and the girl who referred me are publishers who are scammers.
The girl ran a publishing called Meeting of the Minds Press which is not associated in now way with Publish America. The girl who referred me, is the founder of Meeting of the Minds press (also Meeting of the Minds Journal), had her book published by Publish America.

It was last year when the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, recommended me to publish America to me. Her book cover seemed nice but I think she was too embarrassed to tell me the truth about her book and seemed to not want me to read her book, so I didn’t. I visited the website of Publish America. What I first noticed that seemed a bit strange was how they did not mention at their website how much they pay the authors. Still believing in what my friend told me, I submitted my book and I referred someone else (which will be discussed later in this article).

Anyhow, I was excited to hear they accepted my manuscript. But no sooner after, I signed their contract, I found some info on them on line that was upsetting but it was too late, my book cover was done. Things started to change. I notice their approach was firm and less welcoming. My manuscript entered the editing stage. The first copy of the editor’s proof they sent to me was awful, they had messed up on the lines breaks, which was not there in the original copy I sent them. I checked over the manuscript and sent them editing revisions. My manuscript was still in the editing stage. They sent the manuscript back and notice strangely suddenly there are words cut off and other mistakes that weren’t there.

I sent them the editing revisions again. They were supposed to take them but they did not. They sent me the final copy and the editing revisions were not take and they refuse to take them. . I kept a copy of the letter (I got concerned), and it shows clearly the mistakes they were suppose to fix in which they didn’t. I argued with them for almost two weeks and finally someone from their company informed me that the mistakes do not hurt the marketing ability of the book, in which it does. There are more than ten mistakes in the book and they are obvious mistakes.

I also noticed that they have two different release dates for my book. It is stated with my book info at several web sites that my book was released in August but they told me the official release was not until January. They were selling my book in August and were not telling me. I found out my book was released already when I found a link in Google for my book for sell. I was shocked! It was already being sold on EBay by resellers and I didn’t even know. I confronted them and they said they have nothing to do with the resellers, however, did not tell me that my book had been already for sell. During waiting for a response on this issue, I visited the girl who I referred before any of this happened (while still in the editing stage of my book).

I REFERRED A GIRL AND SHE PLAIGIRIZED MY WORK.

Remember earlier in this article I mentioned that I referred a girl to publisher America (before I knew they were a scam), after I submitted my book, well the girl showed me her manuscript and I read it during visits to her house, at her request, regarding a review. She submitted to Publish America later on after my book was released. I let her borrow my only copy and it was agreed she’d return it. . 1 month later, I tried to contact the girl about my book and she refused to answer my calls, she contacted me to tell me about her book signing but not about returning my book, so I went to her house and she returned my book and showed me her book. I was shocked to discover she had been studying my style of writing (to mimic my unique style) and also had chosen to take some content out my actual book and put it in new poems to add to her book during the editing stage of her book submitted to publish America. I reported the matter to Publish America. They did not deny that they accepted her new poems into her book after it was taken out of the editing stages and they agreed in a simple way that it is obvious she was stealing my literary identity (adding it to her own style) They took a while to respond again and told me I should take it as flattery.

I asked them how was she able to add additional poems (stealing my literary identity and taking phrases out of my book) after her book was out of the editing stage (I had spoke to her briefly during the time her manuscript was out of the editing stage and had seen the manuscript before it was submitted because she wanted a review). This shocked me because they did not take my edits when my book was still in the editing stages. They did not reply. They seemed not to care that another author took content out of a book of mine they published and then they published her book. Much of her book uses various phrases from popular literature and songs but she not cite any of the material in which she found the work. If there is a reviewer who wish to review the book yourself, her book is called, “Snappin Out” published by Publish America (you can find it Google). I seriousely think and investigation should be done of the book. I don’t know what can be done about this but this is also an example of Publish America, publishing anything and not taking the issues of plagiarism seriously. When I read exercept of her book to a music producers they were shocked to hear some lyrics from famous songs in her book and asked me if she cited and I said no and they also noted right away that her work seemed to be trying very hard to sound like my own, (this are later poems of hers). She also did not credit me in the book, though before submitting her poetry I offered critique, which led me to believe she intend to steal my literary identity and hope that would not notice. She had a copy of my book during writing the later poem to be added to her book submitted to publisher America so that is the proof that she had a way to plagiarize my work. In the copy of the book of hers she gave me when I picked my book up from her house,s he states “you have helped me much in poetry” but she was careful not to credit me in the book, for then people who had read my work would become more aware that she made an ugly attempt to steal my style of writing which is distinctive and also to take some content from my work. The poems she chose to mimic was written years ago and two previously published, appearing in my book “Un-Gloving the Hands. Poems and a Memoir” she borrowed.

A buyer of my book from Homestead Pennsylvania who wish to remain anonymous stated that “She used for your resource, kept your book to copy your literary identity, and then continued to keep your book while pushing her book. Until her book was released. I know the author of the book from when I was young. What she did was wrong”

A SCAM PUBLISHER REFERRED ME TO PUBLISH AMERICA.

Shortly after, the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press (P:ublications or Journal), who was the girl who referred me to Publish America, finally showed me the inside of her book after showing me a copy of it republished. Even her book was poorly put together as well, still I did not know yet; she was scamming authors with her press called Meeting of the Minds Publications. She did not tell me this, I suspect now she wanted my book to be scammed to by Publish America, since she could convince me to submit my work to hers, (acting sympathic) that I would trust in her and submit my work to hers, I fell in her trap and was scammed by her press to.
Seeing she had a press called “Meeting of the Minds Publications” and she had author’s I began to trust her more on a business never level to.

Her press had received a few thousand dollars in grants to publish books if I recall (at least $5,000 and she published close to 24 authors books) but she did not provide the ISBN# for any of the books, nor copyright services, my book is awful, the ink is faded and the books are stapled bound and look cheap. Several authors have complaints regarding her press, the quality of the books and also not receiving any statement regarding books sells or profits of their book. Although she has events in which the authors can read their work, she has door fees for the events and the authors can’t bring 1 guest for free. This is all while expecting 50% percent of the profit of every author’s book. She also speaks to her authors as if they are children, tells them lies when they ask about their royalties, accept for the ones that are (girl friends) of hers. She will say she was robbed…etc, which is not true. During the time she was telling them lies I was in touch with her but was not made aware of her lies until after I parted with her press and author informed me of her lies, in reply to not paying them their royalties. I found out that she drops my name to potential authors (never published before. She drops my name because I have been previously published, in hopes that will encourage them to submit their manuscript. She spies and snoops into the information of other press and tries to convince other writers to come to her press instead although her press is a scam. Her press is primarily for new authors and so they are desperate to get published and after being published by her, they realized they were scammed. During publishing my books, she asked me to advertise for her press, teach in her workshop but did not want it to be known or pay me, although her grants are for paying services for her press, yet she pays her boyfriend who is the cover art sketcher of the press. At one of her poetry events on television a month ago, she says I’m a good fiction writer (not a good poet instead) and it was shocking sense I do not write fiction (only prose which she has not heard) and I was a published poet of her press on the show to read poetry. When ever one of her authors asks to speak to me, she drills them about our conversations. One authors asked me if I knew about a publisher she can submit her second book to. I told her that I may. I didn’t see it as a problem since Meeting of the Minds does not publish more than 1 book by an author. Her angle was to discredit me in the private with some people who run big organizations (so they will not query me) and at the same time while making me think she values me as an author. I finally confronted her and asked to have my book removed, she then harassed me and gave my cell phone number out to other people (even someone apart of a televisions program) and I had to change my phone number. She then began tell lies to important people to get their respect and then use her connections as a mean of intimidating her authors, who she felt would speak out about her press scamming people. She sells the authors books at shows when they are not there and they are not aware of it. Don’t forget this same founder of Meeting of the Minds Publications is who referred me to Publish America (because they published a book of hers). Also, the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, also takes content out of writers work, I know this because I went to a reading and she read a line out of one of my poems in which I read to her when she was publishing my book. One author even mentions on their blog (which you can find it Google), never receiving any profits of their book in which they know sold and the books being poorly shipped. (I won't post the link to the blog on the board). Now the founder of Meeting of the Minds Press, is slandering my name (which she was doing while publishing my book). Basically in publishing, led her to play by sides of the table, scamming me with her publishing, referring me to a publisher she was aware was no good (because of her book) and to also hurt any chances I may get with building relationships with the other authors (for she knew I was learning more about publishing and other press) and she did not want them to know the truth, such as that she could have purchased 10 ISBN$ under $300 and at least two of her authors books would have the ISBN#. Many of her authors did not know how much money she got in grants. I researched the grants she got and figured out about how much she got and she told me prior to publishing my work. She claims she got close to $10.000 in grants. I estimated at least $5.000, for sure and including the profits off the events, which was plenty enough.

I was shocked to discover when I picked up my book from her house, that she had purchased a new computer, had new stuff in her apartments and she was not working though told another author who wanted their royalties owed to them, that her place was robbed. As far as I know, at least three authors of her press have not received royalty statements and are not aware of their sales, and their books are poorly put together and they are also withdrawal their book from her press after the first year of the contract (which binds them to the press for a year with the option afterwards, to remove their book).

BACK TO PUBLISH AMERICA.

I being a victim of publishers who were scammers, doesn’t end there, it just seemed to get worse and worse. You probably are already shocked and wonder if it can get any worse. While I was struggling to get my one book removed from Meeting of the Minds Press and the founder was refusing withdrawal my book, I was waiting to at least receive an authors statement of my books from Publish America. I eventually received a statement and in it showed that I made no profit and no books sold, (A zero for royalties earned and a zero for sales) in which I knew was not right, because my mother purchased a copy and several others and my book was already being resold by people. I also had made them aware that I knew my book was selling so I was shocked they would even send me an inaccurate statement. I could no longer argue anymore, I was totally out of breath. I began researching on them entirely and that I knew it was time to write this article.

Here is a list of the issues I see surrounding Publisher America in which I notice:

Giving authors a different release date (telling them the official release of their book is during one time when actually their book was released months before and being sold. Those profits during the time when the book was actually released, is not being added to the authors first royalty statement.
Messing up the format of the manuscripts when converting to PDF and not fixing it all, regardless if the book is still in the editing stages. They deciding to publish the book with the mistakes and making the authors think the book is still marketable, although from what I have learned there are authors with many mistakes in their books.
I don’t feel Publish America do any real marketing; accept purchase a global distribution package for the books. The authors see their books selling at some places and assume they are marketing the book, when Global distribution package makes your book available to be picked up by book sellers. Technically this is not considered marketing for the books. I do not hear about books signing planned for the authors, free marketing package provided for the authors, resources of marketing given to the authors, advertising the books (other than on their website)…etc.
Publish America pays seems to pay the same royalty amount on all books regardless of the size of the book and quality.
They have so many books published that it is hard to believe they are not a vanity press and actually select their books carefully.
Publish America does not take concern for books they publish that plagiarize others peoples work.
Beware, for there seems to be other publication names associated with them, other names used). I questioned them about that and they said it is their printing. I had read a post that had a list of two names associate with also being Publish America. Still doesn’t make sense.

In the End

I have no idea of how much money I profited off my book with Meeting of the Minds Press or from my book with Publish America in the past year and each publisher seem to not care whether I know or not or to even tell me in writing and produce a statement. Although I know at least once copy of my books sold through each press. The girl who plagiarized my work, feels she got away with it. She lives just a block away from me and has relations with people who commit crimes and the last thing I want is someone to attack me with my daughter on the street. Since I’m unable to afford a lawyer I feel helpless to see justice served. All of this was very upsetting to me, for I have had my work published in print by other press and never had I experienced anything in the publishing world this awful within just 12 months beginning in August of 2005. I saw my dreams of being published turn to dust.

What saddens me, is that I had several other publisher on my list, two in which I spoke to who was accepting manuscript and they were real publishers. However, they do not accept previously published manuscripts, so now I can’t submit my books to them to be republished. Feel free to use this article on-line in effort to expose publishers who are scammers.

My Books They Published

My two books are:
“Un-Gloving the Hands. Poems and a Memoir” published by Publish America.
“Crazy Close. 90 Degrees” Published by Meeting of the Minds Press (also Meeting of the Minds Journal).

I’m seeking assistance on how to go about having my book removed from Publish America and am seeking republication by a REAL publisher and one with good ethics. If anyone knows of publishers that republish books, I’d greatly appreciate receiving the info. If you’d like further information on this post, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I wish all the writers the best of luck, in submitting their work. I have one important piece of advice to pass on that I wish I had of remembered to take during getting my work published. Always Research and Investigate Any Business in Which You Intend to Sign A Contract, Involving Signing Over Rights to Any Product of Yours. Keep believing in your work and do not let a bad publishing experience, scare you away from following your dreams of seeing your book published with tender loving care and being able to make a profit of some kind off your book.

.Peace and Love to All Artists and Writers

S. Hunter-Wilson

Last edited:

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
The way I phrase my words she tried mimic, literary identity, style of writing.

Like in my one poem "inbetween commericals we can cry"
she says, "inbetween giving peace a chance" (from the book snappin out)
She entered attempt to copy my voice.
I break the rules of writing and often interrupt myself with voices. having up to three 1st person voices going on which is a my own form of writing. She tried to steal it.

For example:

I will see say one thing outloud, another in a whisper and another outloud.
passive, aggressive and passive. People have come to know my work as being very distinctive. What shocked me is that she done this but while also taking bits from phrases of mine.
Her work was very strict form and her later poems are poor attempts to copy my style.

Such as if you went to read langston hughes, e.e. cummings and shakspeare, they have distinctive styles of writing, in which one would recognize right away.

How ever her theft does not stop there.

She has phrases from popular works of Shakespeare, the bible and lyrics and songs

I'm sure most of you have heard this, "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" that is from a famous song, a music producers told me, when he read her book.

Also "to thine own self be true"

There are several verse from other people stuff i her book but she don't cite.

Adrienne Rich is known to use verse from other peoples stuff but she always has a citation page in the back of her book.

What is odd about this is she asked me about using verse from other people stuff, before her book was submitted to publish America and i told her to cite, that she must cite. She did not.

If a professional editor gets their hands on her book and write a review and post it like on the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, she is going to have some bad publicity.

I recently read an article on the Pittsburgh Post Gazette in which they were speaking on literary identity theft, people stealing other peoples styles of writing, story and poetry story, almost like the original author wrote theirs.
This is what the author of Snapping Out is doing.
She continueous uses lines even "A dream deferred" twice in two different poems, by Langston Hughes and though she mentiones him, she does not cite the source.

I learned in college that anytime you use content in an way even ideas, you got to cite the source, which means, author, material, publication date and issues number.

This gives full credit to the author of the works you are using. Even paraprasing, such as using dropping a words and using two three words in a phrasing. Like she says, "turn the mutha out" the original way is "turn this mutha" from a popular song, I know.

like the song, "since I lost my baby"

Sometimes she states as an example: "at the compliment of Langston Hughes"
to me that is implying she got permission, which she did not. How could she if some of the author's are dead and she do not know them, just their work.
That is not considered a citation at all. It is very slick and just like Publish Americas contract is clouds that it is unfair and menipulative.

Poets often feel like because they are using lyrics o r just phrases of another writers work they don't have to cite and just say, "compliments of..." that is not a citation by law. The people need to know where to find the content.

All this are just some example that jumped out at me right away when I read her book.

I gave critique for years and regularly do and had a two highly experienced editors and critique critique my manuscript and so I couldn't help but notice this right away.

To the naked eye, someone who is totally unfamiliar with the law of using work by other people, including portions of ideas, bits of phrases and lyrics...etc.

What is shocking is that she regularly does it in her book without havnig one citation in the back of her book.

Her book can be used as a fine example of how plairgiris can be a bad habit and how their are writers who just don't care about giving credit where it is due.

She got some local poets to write reviews on her book and I'm shocked that they didn't bother to inform her of her book not having citation. No real reviewer would bother giving compliment to a book that does what she does.

I sent some of the examples to Publish America, they do not care. any real publisher would have dicontinued publishing her book in fear of future legal problems with her not citing content from other sources.

Shar

this was all while I had let her burrow my book and she was refusing to return it (answer my calls).

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Shar, and welcome.

So far, this doesn't look like plagiarism to me. The use of the gramatically incorrect "inbetween" and alternating between saying things aloud and whispering doesn't constitute plagiarism. Are there actual lines that are identical in both works?

Deleted member 42

Literary allusion also isn't plagiarism; when Shakespeare used "to thine own self be true," he was already quoting another earlier writer. These days, that's recognizably a line borrowed from Shakespeare; it's just an allusion, much the way we might refer to any well known saying.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
literary identity theft is where she

She took my phrase "walk with me" to start my poem
and she stared a poem almost exactly how I did and was writing in the first stanza similar to mine.

It is when you mimick someone else style and try to imitate their story plot, this goes for a poem to.
In school I learned that taking event little we bits out of a sentence without citing is plaigirsing, it is consiered paraphrasing.
She put the words in quotes by the, which when writing term papers you are suppose to however, you still much cite.

I found at the pittsburgh post gazette and article in which a girl did the same thing with a story and they defined it as literary theft.
To copy somenes form and takes bit of ideas
the copyright office says that even taking ideas is copyright theft
People often think one must takes lins or or whole stanza
Ideas are still considered copyright theft.

The inbetween part of her poems is not speaking on actuall word theft but the form in which she chose. I been writing for fifteen years and it is my style regardless. I have read many work and have studied abroad with professers and even at my creative arts school, I've been told that my style is very distinctive. It is quite unlikely that someone writes like me without having studied my work first. Here is why, my meter is often interrupted, broken english, no proper grammar, three voices in it two aloud and once in passive), one which carries the poem, many editors can't decided wither my work is prose poems or poetry. She even set the poem up exactly how I did in that stanza. What is the odds of that? When I do not abide by any form. If my work was studied some critiques would claim that I do not follow any grammar or consisten line breaks which makes the meter quite unique, and it is because of my voice.

Poets with disinctive styles like , Langston Hughes, E.E. cummings and others.

This lady write strict and tight and then suddenly while reading my book, she writes poem during the time that are not and try to sound like mine.
Several readers have told me they are getting confused reading her work. That is what happens when you try to adopt another writers style in with your own, it confuses the reader have the time. It is either you write completely in their style or your own.

i can't write in my style and then mix shakespeare effectly, my readers will get dizzy. LOL.

Regardless if shakespeare borrowed "to thine own self be true" it can't be proven that he did, he has been given the credit for that line or else he would not be well known for it, so it is considered copyright theft.
One can't say she burrowed it. I learned that in college. No matter where you get the line, bits of ideas or phrases, you must cite regardless.
o where in my handbook of plaigirism does it say that if you think it is burrowed you don't have to cite. It plainly states that when you use content from another source YOU MUST CITE.
She did not just use
Also she uses several others lines from songs, and it is plaigirism, no way around it. My music producers knows quitea lot of songs and he noticed it right away (without me bringing it up) and asked if she cited the content she took from the songs. he also said, "why is trying to sound like you"
lol.

The point of this is that she uses SEVERAl LINES and ideas from other sources, without citing and not even correctly when she says, "at the compliments" people would assume that the person gave it to her to use. when they didn't. lol.
Citing shows also that you did get actual permission, however, you intend to give credit where it is do and respect the author being creator of the item.

People don't like to site because it gives credits to other authors in their work and this how law suits arise from plaigirism.

There is literary identity theft and there plaigirism.

She commited literary IDENTITY theft on me and took some portions of my lines and even set them up the same as I did. now we both don't have the same mind and she certaintly don't have the same voice.

Her first works added to the book and later works included show clearly the drastic change in style, voice and even in approach in her works, which is much like mine.

and you diliberately took "the shine was shin
I will not argue this with anyone, for I have read many articles on this subject and several critiquers who read my work and had for at least a year, have noted the obviouse changes in her work while readin gmy work, which she was at the time of writing those later poems.

If she was not trying to steal my work, why read my work, try to develop my style, take bits of ideas out of my work and never get one single credit to me in her book but yet to others in her book for helping in her poetry.

Why did she not return my book and I called over ten times and sent a message through her son to get my book and she only called me when her book was released t come to a book signing of hers.

Why did she state in her book in an autograph, "you have helped me much in my work and I can never repay you'

But why is not added to the actual book in her acknowlegement page.
As my audience of my work, some long standing, have noticed right away
She tried to be very slick, with trying to steal my literary identity and some ideas out of my work and not give me the credit so peoeple will think it came from her. Why else not credit me?

if you can give me answer for all of this, I will shut my mouth.

If I took content out of one of your post and put it somewhere on-line and said, "at the compliments of absolute write" that would not be appropiate. Here is why. their is no link so people can get to your site and I was not given permission to use it, so can't say at the compliment.

i would site as instructed by handbook to avoid plaigirism given to college student. "Title of website found and link"

I think there are many people who need to pick up the book I have on how to avoid plaigirism and what is plaigirism. People think it has to be full lines and stanzas. Just taking a bit of someones stuff and idea as defined by the copyright office.

Literary identity theft is also becoming a growing concern. People attempting to steal peoples style of writing, which is original and theirs.
I been writing in my distinctive style since was ten years old.

her later poems are confusing and this is why. this makes me think of all the people trying to writel ike e.e.cumming and langston hughes.
She used some content of Langston Hughes as well, but di dnot cite.
Saying "at the compliment of Langston Hughes" is not a citation.
Also she does not say this where she used, his line about a dream being deferred. She says "At the compliment of Langston Hughes" anything in the poem can be at the compliments of Langston Hughes. Readers will not know what is his and hers. She has to state either along side the line, before the poem (which is more appropiate and expected in the book However, since it it just a portion she could have done it after the poem or in the back of the book. She would have had to state "Langston Hughes" "title of his book where the content can be found" "where in your work is it used" which the book of avoiding plaigirism says to be specific so you reader can find the source wherein your book, the authors gets credit.

Please refer to Adrienne Rich's book of poetry, "The fact of a door frame"
for the proper way to cite any content taken from another source.
Even she knew as a poet you are always suppose to cite, propery and give credit. (she has a nice size part in the back of her book) Adrienne Rich is a good poet to study on how to write well, use content of other authors, while covering your rear and grabbing your audience attention without being a phony. Name dropping casually, like "at the compliments of S. Hunter-Wilson" is certaintly not accepted as a citation.

I take this matter seriousely well because if there is one thing I do well, is write terms papers, reports, paraphrase and cite.

If the citation is not in the back of the book it should be at the end of the poem or the begining.

sorry for the typos and not spell checking. I'm working in two other windows on important stuff. My time is limited on-line.

Blessings!

Shar

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Regardless if shakespeare borrowed "to thine own self be true" it can't be proven that he did, he has been given the credit for that line or else he would not be well known for it, so it is considered copyright theft.

No, it's not. It's literary allusion; honest. It's part of poetry. You think Herrick invented "Seize the day" and "Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may"?

He didn't.

It's absolutely not a violation of copyright.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
Here is two examples from Adrienne Rich's book. She cites in the back of her book all content, including portions of ideas.

first puts poem category title, so people know what poem

NECESSITIES OF LIFE

"In the Woods" the first line is burrowed and translated from the Duth poet, J.C Bloem.

"I'm in Danger-Sir-" See "The Letters of Emily Dickinson. Tomas Johnson and Theodora Ward, eds., Vol.2 (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1958), p.409)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I think I found the Pittsburgh article you're referring to:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06120/685690-74.stm

however, I'm still at a loss as to how you think this applies in your situation - in this case, the author took entire *passages* with a few words switched around from other books and put it under her own name. I'm not sure if this happened to you since you still haven't given examples from her poetry and your own poetry where she's basically copied your work and then switched a word or three.

please, post an example so we can see it for ourselves. I'm just not getting it from your statements above what she's actually done, if anything.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm understanding is that Ms. Hunter-Wilson believes that her unique literary voice and style have been deliberately copied by another writer. She believes that this is illegal. The other writer used similar phrasing and word choices and wrote poetry based on the same subjects as she did. Basically, she feels that her work inspired another writer to imitate her and she thinks this is wrong.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
She took directly from my book, "Walk with me" I speak of flowers and she says, "can I walk with you" and speaks of flowers shortly after. It is a spoof, and her style is a poor copycat of mine, she mixing it in her style which is making her poems confusing. I'm not the only one who find this obviouse. Also, you two are not speaking on the passages that I posted she has taken. such as "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" that is from a song. She was suppose to cite that and didn't. Adrienne Rich in her books specifically cites any, even the smallest idea from someones book,even those she slightly changed. to start her poem and I did the same thing. I stated that. As Adrienne Rich demonstrates, even brief passages from anothers work should be cited. She is a professor I think in English. and has won the lifetime achievement award, and my book on plairgirism states that.

I refuse to even touch her book again, I will only post what what poems that I read, I don't want that book being in my hands more than a second, bad energy.

I'm speaking of style of writing. If you have eve been at the on-line community lit kicks, they discuss spoofing and attempting copy a writers style of writing. They actually have exercises in which people can shall the8r distinctive styles in writing, so others can learn them.

If I say, "shall i comparee the to a summers kiss"

People know this line, 'shall I compare thee to a summers day"
as being one of Shakepeare. It sounds like a spoof. LOL.
It should be stated that I adopted part of the line shakspeares line. "Shall I compare thee to a summers day"

of course some don't do it on purpose but that lady did. I knowt his cause she had my book and refuse to return it. lol.
When I visited her house to et my book, she was studying a prose poem of a famous writer. lol. i was trying to get my book in barnes and nobles and she held my book until hers was release and she could get hers in barnes and nobles before me. This is after trying to incorporate my style in to hers.

it is like me taking a painting of picasso, changing it a bit and then adding a little bit of me and not picasso. To me that is dark thing to do. yes some may see no problem with this but it is unethical.
That is why she did with some stuff in my work.

Also at that pittsburgh post gazette, they do speak on her copying the story plot not just passages of the persons stuff. You must over looked that or be on the wrong story. It is not on there today unless archived. I found it least a week ago. If I write a story that exactly like the story the Notebook, i'm sure a law suit may come about, whether I use the same passages or not.

I often here music people suing other music people because their music sound like theirs. Especially if they suspect it was done on purpose. It is the same with writing poetry and art.

I would not made a deal of it if she did not use several lines of other peoples work in her book and never cite and not site properly and attempt to trick her readers into believing she got permission by saying, 'at the compliments.."

I was reading something about writing tricks, dropping names...spoofing writing styles, taking ideas...etc, writing are going way too far with this and the world is cracking down on this kind of behavior.

Plaigirism, spoofing and stealing ideas is a growing problem in Pittsburgh, I don't know if any of you know that. Many of the workshops are suffering. People are always attacking people because of plaigirism...etc. you really got to watch what writers you associate with, so now I don't associate with know personally in Pittsburgh.

the founder of Meeting of the Minds took my phrase "Walking Mad' which is the title of a journal entry in my journal I'm writing and looking for a mentor for and it is also apart of the journal entry. I heard her read her poem and start her poem that, just a day after I let her her my journal entry over the phone.

Of course people who do that will not fess up to.lol. That is why I feel no need to confront the author of Snappin Out" she will just deny it. To be honest, she is just a down right phony and people who have known her when she was younger, told me she is. lol. Why else would she refuse to return my book, though she knew I only let her burrow it. Now with me she was just trying to spoof my style, too some phrases and tried to change them a bit so it ain't obviouse. Like with this line from a popular song "turn this mother out" she says, "turn the motha out" that is from a song, notice the word change from 'this" to "that" and doesn't cite either. I notice this right away. This is stuff I remember from her book.

Shar

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
SHunter, what you're describing isn't plagiarism. You don't have a case. Give it up.

"In between", "walk with me", and "can I walk with you" are very common phrases in English literature, whether or not there are flowers in the vicinity.

"Look and feel" is not an applicable concept in copyright law. If you're good enough that you can snitch another writer's characteristic style, wordchoice, pacing, etc., without duplicating their actual words, you're legally in the clear. Copyrights in fiction only apply to a specific configuration of words.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Shar,

Like Hapi said, there's nothing you can really do unless your ex-friend actually steals whole passages. Using a word or two or even common phrases isn't going to get anyone into trouble. Stealing someone's style is done a thousand times over in the literary world, and often times people usually don't even know they're doing it.

The article you cited about the Indian author whose name I can never remember is different. She was stealing whole paragraphs word for word. Not just random phrases.

I imagine you're frustrated at what you perceive as the ultimate writerly sin. The best revenge you can get is to write more poems and get more poetry books published. Good luck.

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about what you two said when it first happened, so that is why I never confronted her. However, she did take wholes phrases out of songs and other peoples work, so she plaigirized. Ther are whole phrases from other literature. A friend of mine who is a music producer, noted a few song lyrics she took from famous songs and he says that they are not copyright free and if she didn't cite she plaigirized.

I know copyright law. but it does mention ideas not just phrases. there is a difference, it doesnt say whether they got to be common or uncommon. She did use my ideas. lol.

What botheres me about this is that I mentored (helped her learn something in poetry) briefly before she submitted her book, so why she chose to try to steal my style, is unethical to me. It is like biting the hands that feeds you. lol. I would have taken it as flattery if she didn't try to keep my book (she didn't buy) while doing it. I had to go to her house and simply striaght out demand to have my book back like she promised.

This girl knew she was doing it, that is why she asked to burrow my book and refused to return it, knowing it was my only copy.

I'm more hurt that somenoe I tried to help out would attempt to put her finger in my writing pudding and taste some without asking first. lol.

Hapisoft, I have a case in moral court. lol. She did try to copy me, if she didn't try to copy my style, my readers should not have noticed it right away.

Taking phrases from other peoples work and changing one word (normall conjuction I see she is doing) is still unethical regardless even if it is common phrases, she found in my work and got it from there. that is the point.

She wrote those poems while reading my book, and asked published america can she add them to the book AFTER her book was out of the editing stage.
If she was not trying to copy me, while refuse to return my book and why not simply thank me in the book for being a great source for her and not in autograph. She thanks other writers for their work being a great source. She did not thank me, why because she want her readers to think the style is her own,t hough she knew very well it was mine, for I read my work up her house and she was reading my work.

So the idea that it was not on purpose, holds water. She knew me and my style of writing, because she read my poetry regularly.

It is unethical and immoral. I would not have even made a deal out of it, as I stated, if she had not try to keep my book and knew it was just burrowed. and she DID take phrases out of other literature as I stated and from song. She tried to change them a bit with me because I think she knew it would have got caught.

I also had told her to cite if she use other peoples phrases and why didn't she???? She had asked me about using other peoples work.

See there is more to this story. I discovered, she is friends with two writers who is jealous of me in Pittsburgh, (they too have heard my work alot) and they gave her the last minute edits on her later poems that were added, so I suspect she also had personal feelings.

I know with me, I would never take phrases out of other peples work, change a word (a conjuction) like 'the' to 'da" or call it mine. There is something unethical and immoral about it. To me the ideas are not coming from you.

In writing workshops I been to, they never encourage us to do that but to read others work and write on the same theme and try to remain in our own style while doing so, but never do that.

I'm not building a case against her, I know alot of the laws. lol. I go to school for criminal justice. lol.
However, there is morals in questions here and there is ethics involved.

Who would do that to a friend who helped them.

Since I realize some (not many) writers don't see that to be a problem, I see the writing world lack in moral and ethics and in writing relationships, so that is why I refuse to share my poetry on public boards on-line or in public unless it is directly out of my books. I'd rather work in private on works in progress and unpublished, (private password protected forum) or by e-mail with a trustworthy mentor and I never read my work to anyone anymore until it is published. I also intend to have a section in my books that speak specifically on the use of my work.

I'm worried about how far she will actually go, and I intend to discourage her from going any further with using my work as a source of any kind, so I will be letting her know that I do know she did, I don't care about the outcome. She took advantage of my kindness.

so she is not in the clear, everything she did was intended. Why else not have one single citation in the book and she's old enough to be my mother. I'm sure she knew what a citation was and asked me to cover it up. She is intelligent but doesn't excuse her. There are college professor who have taken phrases of other peoples work and were sued. Though she used direct phrases from other peoples work and from famous songs.

She stole whole lines from other peoples work and took little bits from mine and changed them a bit (and also with a song of Jemmy Hendricks)

It was on purpose, even her readers and mine (in which some are the same where we live )know that. 1 of them know her from years ago and they also mentioned to me about her personality, they never could be trusted.
I didn't know this at the time though. I guess she is just going to continue mimicking other people and taking phrases from other people work and famous songs until some person who those lyrics and phrases belong to find out. She is writing a second book I know and I just hope she doesn't continue with that.

xnavigatorx, this girl took word from word from other literature and famous songs. Though she put it in places in her poems in which ones who don't know the verse may miss it but I read alot famous work and I listen to alot of music.

She a phony. ROFL. She didn't do very well attempting to copy my style, so it is confusing people. if she would have asked me, I would showed her how to do it right:).

Blessings to everyone.

Shar

Last edited:

SHunter-Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
thank you so much all of you for listening and sharing your insight. Bad luck comes to those who betray a good friend and that is a lesson she will be learning in her life. I wish her best regardless:). I wanted to let everyone know that I e-mail publish america in hopes to get out of their contract. Keep your fingers crossed.

Blessings to you all!

Shar

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What's been posted above. Your copycat girl is just a big ol' loser, steer clear.

No one gets widely copied unless they make big sales. (Check all the da Vinci Code clones popping up now!)

And speaking with my editor hat on, I strongly suggest you get a copy of Strunk & White's ELEMENTS OF STYLE to polish up your writing.

Your report was hard to read because of the run-ons, grammer/spelling, & other problems. The less work an editor has to do on a MS the better chance you have of selling!

Good luck! :)

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Shar:

People "copy" the writing styles of others all the time. It's not plagiarism.

Frankly, your own grammar is so dodgy that it's hard to make sense of a lot of what you're saying. And claiming
"sorry for the typos and not spell checking. I'm working in two other windows on important stuff. My time is limited on-line." doesn't cut it. If this isn't important enough for you to take the time to be clear, why should any of us bother reading it?

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Plaigirism, spoofing and stealing ideas is a growing problem in Pittsburgh, I don't know if any of you know that.

Please feel free to PM me about this. I'd like to hear more because apparently I'm seriously out of the information loop for Western PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.