Need help - demo

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
An opportunity fell into my lap and I have a way of getting a demo to some producers who are looking to buy some songs. Although I've been writing songs and recording them for a couple of years, I never tried to sell any.

How many songs should I put on the CD? What sort of info do they want (lyrics, bio, etc. or just contact information?) on the insert?

I need to get these CDs burned and out asap, and although I usually spend quite a bit of time researching whenever I try something new, I don't have the time. Can anyone here help me out and give me some clues? It would be a huge deal for me if I can sell some songs.

-- Joanna

LaBell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellmusicproductions.com
Hi, Joanna! How exciting for you!

As far as what to put on the demo... it all depends on what they intend to do with the material. ie, are they going to try to shop them around? or... are they wanting to hear your style? It would not be out of line at all for you to simply ask them what they need. And be careful... there are some nice folks out there in the business, but there are some unethical ones also. Be sure to join ASCAP or BMI, and make sure you retain your writer/composer rights if this company buys any of your songs.

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
I just don't know very much, which is probably a little worrisome, isn't it? A friend's son is the conduit -- he's the one who is going to pass these on to the producers he knows. It's for songwriting (not performing) and at this point, there are no singers targeted. After researching on the web, I've found more than one site that says 3 songs on a demo, tops, so that's what I've done (a jazz song, a ballad, and an uptempo novelty song). I figure if a song strikes someone's fancy, great. If not, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank you so much for your help. Have you made any progress on selling your nonfiction project about songwriting? Your write-up about that has always stuck with me. I sure hope you can find a publisher.

-- Joanna

LaBell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bellmusicproductions.com
I wish you all the best with your songs! I know how exciting it is to get them "out there." And the more you do it, the more chances you have of landing one in the right hands at the right time. As with most things in life,
luck and timing plays such a big part in getting a break.

I've gotten side-tracked from my jingle book. (I'm trying to get my art/photography business and website up and going this summer. Too many projects, not enough time - ha!) Thank you for reminding me to focus on it again!

Linda :)

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
Thank you, Linda. I made it to the post office with 4 minutes to spare, so the CDs are on their way. I know that one of them is going to a guy who has a meeting next week with a heavy-hitter, so I had to get them out so that he'd have the CD for his meeting. I had to send it to a go-between who is going to stick in a personal note, so that this guy won't toss it.

This whole demo thing was really consuming. I didn't have demos made, of course, so I did my best to make them look as professional as possible (cutting out circular labels by hand to stick on the CDs, fitting heavy stock photo paper in the jewel case, making a lyric booklet, etc.). I did the best I could in the limited time. Very exciting, though, to have them out there in the world. One never knows what might happen!

Thanks again, Linda, for your help. Remember, I'm first on the list to buy your book when you write it, so you've got at least one reader as a lock.

-- Joanna