PDA

View Full Version : RWA National - Atlanta

Susan Gable
07-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Well, gang, tomorrow morning I'm off for the RWA National conference in Atlanta. I will take notes and bring back some information for you. :)

Remember, you'll be able to order the workshop CDs. Those are usually an excellent way to learn. I usually order the CDs because there's no way to get to all the workshops I'd like to.

I'll catch you all next week, when I get back.

Susan G.

Cathy C
07-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Have fun, Susan! Please do let us know if anything interesting happens at the National Meeting (if they even get a quorum this year... heh. )

Good luck too! :Hug2:

Susan Gable
07-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Have fun, Susan! Please do let us know if anything interesting happens at the National Meeting (if they even get a quorum this year... heh. )

Good luck too! :Hug2:

Thanks, Cath. Cross your fingers for me! :)

And I guess I'd better go to the meeting so I can help make a quorum. I didn't give my proxy in, so I gotta go. :)

I didn't see a big call for proxies. That will make it harder to make a quorum. Especially since the membership rolls just keep getting bigger.

Susan G.

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm back! And exhausted, as usual when returning home from RWA National.

Overall, it was a great conference. The hotel was great. (Well, except for the fact that it's completely open in the center, and I'm afraid of heights. Fortunately I asked for a low-level room and ended up on the third floor. But I had to go up to the 28th floor a couple times, and that was downright terrifying for me. But I did it. <G>) The staff was extremely polite and responsive.

I managed to attend some of the workshops. I also ordered a set of the complete workshops (taped onto MP3 CDs.) They won't come in for 6 weeks, though. I'll try to post ordering information later or tomorrow.

My personal good news from the conference is that my last book, The Pregnancy Test, won the National Readers' CHoice Award for Best Long Contemporary. Very cool! :)

I have other specific information to share, but I'm kind of wiped right now. But I'll be back with more stuff.

If you've got any questions about it, just give a shout.

Susan G.

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 02:00 AM
Oh, wait, one thing I wanted to say - the editors from Tor/Forge plugged Cathy's books in both of their workshops. <G> They mentioned that she and her writing partner are great examples of how to create/write 3-D secondary characters that make the readers care about them.

So, that's cool, Cath! :) (And so anyone looking for those good examples should take a read through her books!)

Susan G.

Cathy C
07-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Awww... :o That's really cool! Thanks for telling me!

But wait! :hooray: How did your appointment go? Good news?

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Awww... :o That's really cool! Thanks for telling me!

But wait! :hooray: How did your appointment go? Good news?

My meetings all went well. Things were very positive all around. But we won't know if there's any good news for a while yet. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about a number of opportunities that seem to be presenting themselves. :)

Susan G.

JulesJones
07-31-2006, 02:57 AM
Which reminds me - Tor editor Anna Genoese posted some handouts from the secondary characters panel on her website - links in her LiveJournal post here:
http://alg.livejournal.com/93139.html

HaleyDaulton
07-31-2006, 03:06 AM
My personal good news from the conference is that my last book, The Pregnancy Test, won the National Readers' CHoice Award for Best Long Contemporary. Very cool! :)
Congratulations! I saw your book in someone else's hands at the library last week and didn't have the gumption to snatch it from her.
:roll:

I'm waiting for her to check it back in so I can have my turn.

Haley

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 03:08 AM
Congratulations! I saw your book in someone else's hands at the library last week and didn't have the gumption to snatch it from her.
:roll:

I'm waiting for her to check it back in so I can have my turn.

Haley

LOL! Awwww, thank you, Haley. I hope you enjoy it when you get your turn!

Susan G.

Sonarbabe
07-31-2006, 03:22 AM

Awesome! This deserves a snoopy dance... :snoopy: Of course Susan knows I enjoyed her book even before I knew she was a member of AW. LOL.

Oh, wait, one thing I wanted to say - the editors from Tor/Forge plugged Cathy's books in both of their workshops. <G> They mentioned that she and her writing partner are great examples of how to create/write 3-D secondary characters that make the readers care about them.

You go, Cathy! Snoopy dance for you too! :snoopy: One day...one day I will have a book published and perhaps I, too, shall receive the coveted snoopy dance. LOL.

Sounds like it was a good time. I plan to order the cds. Let us know the info on how to order when you have it, Susan.

IHeartWriting
07-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Congrats on your win Susan!

Cathy C
07-31-2006, 04:35 AM
:eek: I missed seeing your win! AWESOME, SUSAN!

:Hug2: :hooray: :partyguy: :snoopy:

dragonjax
07-31-2006, 06:23 AM
HUZZAH, SUSAN AND CATHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clara bow
07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Here's a link to a gateway blog on RWA bloggers:

http://bloggingnational.blogspot.com/

I've been reading them all last week.

Congrats on the win, Susan!

By the way, does anyone have any info on the Southern Fiction workshop (it ran Friday 2-3)? How it went, what was said, etc.? Post it here or PM me if ya have time, much appreciated!

Robin Bayne
07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Congrats Susan!!!!

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
These are notes taken by another author from the Spotlight on Harlequin session. (That session is usually taped, so you'll be able to order it. More information on that to follow.)

Brief Notes from the Spotlight on Harlequin Session --

Basically, each Senior Editor spoke about her line.
This is what Victoria (substituting for Laura Shin, the Senior Ed of the line) said about Supers:
• character driven
• reality
• Compelling central romance
• includes all aspects of character’s life: family, careers…
• variety of styles and tones from light to suspenseful to emotional family
drama
• different levels of sensuality
• write fresh-no clichés
• Again, strong focus on central relationship with legitimate and actively
sustained conflict
• Acquired 13 new authors since January 2005.

Except for Bombshell, every line is acquiring manuscripts. Bombshell is "re-evaluating" the program. (Doesn’t look good for them.)

Silhouette Intimate Moments is being renamed Silhouette Romantic Suspense.
However, the suspense is driven by the love story. (It’s not a 50/50 emphasis on both—it’s focused on the love story).

Harlequin American: Kathleen Scheibling emphasized "setting and community."

Desire: changing content to the Hero’s world. Alpha male, wealthy – either born or self-made. Heroine, average woman, spirited, a match for Hero.
(More like Presents)

Everlasting: "Every great love has a story to tell." They’ve got 35 contracts about a life long love but anchored in the present so there are really two love stories. Any POV. Flashbacks with clear transitions. Use of letters, diaries, journals – you can use lots of approaches.

Mills & Boon Modern Extra: it’s really Temptation transferred to the London office and will be sold mostly in Europe, but they will bring them to North America. Actively acquiring. 60K words.

Nocturne – dark paranormal only

The other lines remained the same. Check eHarlequin’s guidelines if you want more info.

Susan G.

Susan Gable
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
To order copies of the workshop CD (which is a complete set of all the taped workshops - some workshops were NOT taped, but most were.) you can go here:

https://www.billspro.com/rwa/rw06.html

The price is listed as $129, but sometimes they run a special for the first week or so after conference, and they sell them for $100. At conference, the price was $100. I ordered a set, and it will be about 6 weeks before they arrive, so be aware of that.

Consider going in on a set with a friend and sharing, or even suggest that your chapter purchase a set for the members to use as a library. My chapter does that.

There's also a pdf list of the taped workshops on the website.

Susan G.

Kasey Mackenzie
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Congratulations on the win, Susan! =)

nevada
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Congratulations, Susan. What a thrill that must be.

I'm bummed about Bombshell re-evaluating. Not that I think they're so good, lately they've sucked with all the paranormal stuff. Not that I hate paranormal but to me it never fit with what I think of when I think of Bombshell. NOt to mention that they all read like Alias and were about as believable too. I'm bummed because I'm sort of writing one. ALthough with revisions and rewrites it's rapidly growing beyond the Bombshell requirements, but it was my fall-back option. And now they're re-evaluating. Does it look like they'll fold the line?

NCwriter
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
By the way, does anyone have any info on the Southern Fiction workshop (it ran Friday 2-3)? How it went, what was said, etc.? Post it here or PM me if ya have time, much appreciated!

I attended this workshop.

“Frankly, we do give a damn!”—Agent Kimberly Whalen and authors Mary Alice Monroe, Mary Kay Andrews and Patti Callahan Henry.

It was well done and very interesting.

My notes are a huge, sloppy mess, but here’s what I can decipher from them…with a few of my own comments included J:

The agent said that editors right now are looking for strong southern fiction. She said that people’s lives now are busy and hectic, and they enjoy visiting places where the pace of life is slower. They like stories that remind them of what’s really important in life (family, for example).

The authors stated that geography alone does not make a novel southern. It takes more that just the story being set in the south. Southern books have a strong sense of place, and the character’s identity is rooted to that sense of place and home. They have a love for the south. Family connections and community are important. Relatives--even the crazy ones--are relished and embraced. The characters have a reverence of the past, not just the significant events but also the traditions. The characters have a unique language and dialect. The dialogue must be authentic and speech patterns vary over the south (for example, it’s different in the low country than the mountains). Editors and readers find a certain amount of dialect charming if well-done and not over-done. Much of the humor is self-deprecating. Southerners will poke fun at their own southernness. {MY COMMENT—I just wanted to add one thing here...I’ve often poked fun at my own southernness, and other southerners can poke fun at my southernness, but if a non-southerner does it, then I don’t find it at all amusing, unless it’s someone that I know very well and I’m CERTAIN that it’s just good-natured teasing} They also talked about the fact that the south is changing and many southern people almost view this as a threat. {MY COMMENT—I think that’s true. The south is changing, and while some changes were and are truly NEEDED, I often think that the south is losing its southernness in the process, and that makes me sad.}

Someone asked how important it is for the author to actually be a southerner. The answer was that it’s not important, but they have to get it right. {MY COMMENT—that’s very true. I don’t care if the author isn’t from the south, but I can tell when an author doesn’t know anything about the south beyond the stereotypical.}

Someone else asked if it was too soon to write about Katrina issues, and the agent stated that she didn’t think it was, because by the time the book was purchased and hit the shelves (a year or longer) enough time will have gone by.

I’m sure there’s lots of stuff that I’m forgetting and/or that I just couldn’t decipher from my notes, so maybe there will be others who attended the workshop that will have more information to add.

Stacia Kane
07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Congrats, Susan & Cathy! That's great news!

Josie
08-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Congratulations Susan and Cathy!!!!

Cheers

clara bow
08-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I attended this workshop.

Oh. My. God. You are SO awesome! Thank you! (I PM'd you a note!).

NCwriter
08-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Actually I was at this ceremony. I received the very first award, but it wasn't a Reader’s Choice :) It was an award for the Finally a Bride contest. I had no clue I was expected to ‘speak’ so said, ‘oh, no’ when they asked if I’d like to say a few words. Geez, the least I could have done was thank the judges. I’m still kicking myself in the butt over it.

But, at any rate, I did see you there. BIG CONGRATS!

Thanks for the spotlight on Harlequin report. I did workshops and didn’t make it to any of the spotlights :(

NCwriter
08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh. My. God. You are SO awesome!

Oh, I love it when people think I'm awesome, lol.

I'm glad it was helpful.

Josie
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
It appears we have another winning writer here!!

Congratulations Pamela.

:D :hooray:

Susan Gable
08-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Actually I was at this ceremony. I received the very first award, but it wasn't a Reader’s Choice :) It was an award for the Finally a Bride contest. I had no clue I was expected to ‘speak’ so said, ‘oh, no’ when they asked if I’d like to say a few words. Geez, the least I could have done was thank the judges. I’m still kicking myself in the butt over it.

But, at any rate, I did see you there. BIG CONGRATS!

Thanks for the spotlight on Harlequin report. I did workshops and didn’t make it to any of the spotlights :(

I didn't make it any of the Spotlights, either. Oh, wait. A bit at Tor/Forge. I'll report on that shortly.

I wish you had introduced yourself! And yes, I was also extremely witty with my "speech" - Wow. Yeah, that sums it up. <G> I do think I thanked the readers though. Yeah. I think I did that. <G> I was just so damn jazzed, you know?? (of COURSE you do!)

And a mega-congrats to you for the Finally a Bride contest, which is a VERY COOL contest. That's going up against the best of the best!

Susan G.

Susan Gable
08-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Okay, this is from Tor/Forge. They're looking to expand, etc. on a program publishing women's fiction for women 35+. Here are the guidelines I got at conference:

These books feature...

***heroines in their mid thirties to late forties
*** women who are not perfect in looks or habits or clothing choices -- real women. Protagonists should not run themselves down too much and should be happy/proud of at least some aspect of their lives.
*** a significant emotional plot that doesn't necessarily center around the romanti/sexual relationships in a woman's life. (The editors at the workshop/spotlight said they want the romance part to only constitute 50% of the story.)

There are several subgenres within this category. They include:

***Marriages
- Ordinary people working to maintain or improve their marriage
- Marriage in jeopardy
- Romance rekindling within a marriage
- Second marriages: romance while step-parenting or creating a blended family
*** Late life babies (by birth or adoption), for singles or married people
*** Divorcees/widows/widowers, who may or may not be parents, discovering relationships
*** Crisis situations
- Sick parents/child/spouse/pet
- Financial or business-related crisis
- Home renovation (due to accident or planned)
*** Single person, no children, discovering a new phase in life
*** Friendships, through good times and bad -- a slice of life, showing women as friends and supporters, not rivals or competitors in the Mommy Olympics
*** Self-fulfillment -- through new job/career, volunteer work, self-improvement, gaining of new skills, etc.

While these books do not always have neat endings (i.e. "happily ever after marriage"), the endings, as with all romantic novels, must be emotionally satisfying in a positive way.

Permitted:
*** Disabled people as secondary or tertiary characters. Disabilities may be physical or mental and may include learning disabilities. Disabilities should be portrayed in a realistic manner. Disabled main characters are possible.
*** Minor forms of mental illness such as depression, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, fear of flying, etc.
*** Non-white and/or non-Christian main or secondary characters.
*** Non-Christian holidays or religious traditions

Things to Avoid:
*** Virgins (implausible in this day and age, although there are some extenuating circumstance, such as illness or abuse)
*** Infidelity should not introduce or take place with the love interest. Infidelity should be seen as damaging the existing marriage, not setting up the next one.
*** First person POV (at least in the beginning)

Submission Guidelines for Unagented Writers

We consider query letters a waste of everyone's time, since it's so difficult to judge the value of a project from just a couple of paragraphs; if you want to submit to us, please send a proposal, not a query.

Please do not submit anything in electronic format, by fax or e-mail, or by directing us to your website.

Each proposal that reaches us is reviewed by at least one member of the editorial staff, even if you receive a form letter in response. We use form letter because we reecieve thousands of submissions each year.

The submissions packet should include:

1) The first three chapters of your book, prepared in standard ms format on white paper. Please use only one side of the page only and align text to the left. Do not bind the ms in any way. Make sure the header of the ms includes either your name or the title of the book and the page number (on every page).

2) A synopsis of the entire book. Include all important plot elements, espec8ally the end of the story, as well as aspects of character development for your main characters. The synopsis should be fewer than 10 double-spaces pages.

3) A self-addressed, stamped envelope for our reply or for the return of the entire submission. If you live outside the United states, please include International Reply Coupons. Since we generally don't open the envelope until we're readt to read the proposal, including a "ms received" postcard is not useful. If you not include a SASE (or IRC), you will not receive a reply.

4) Optional: A brief cover letter. Tell us what genre or subgenre your submission i and mention any qualifications you have that pertain to the work. Please list any previous publications in paying markets.

Please send only one proposal in each submissions packet. If you have written a series, send a proposal for the first book only. If we like what we see, we'll ask for the rest.

Address submissions to:

Melissa Ann Singer
Senior Editor
Tom Doherty Associates, LLC
175 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10010

Please note that the person you send the submission to is not necessarily the person who will read it.

(Melissa also expressed, in her workshop, that she doesn't want to see any more gay ex-husbands, because it's become a cliche.)

Cathy C
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Terrific information, Susan! I'm thinking we might want to split that post into its own thread, for people who might not be members of RWA (and might not look at this thread). Let me know if that works for you. :)

Susan Gable
08-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Terrific information, Susan! I'm thinking we might want to split that post into its own thread, for people who might not be members of RWA (and might not look at this thread). Let me know if that works for you. :)

I had debated that, too, Cath, so go right ahead. :)

Susan G.

Josie
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for reporting all the lowdown on this new project from Tor/Forge, Susan. It is so appreciated :)

Now I have a dumb question, as I still haven't got this term Women's Fiction clear enough. Would a contemporary mystery, 50% or slightly more, including the friendship of two women, and a man, rounded off with 50% or less romance, be included under Women's Fiction, in your opinion?

Thanks for any opinions.

Cheers:D

Cathy C
08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
It all depends on where it's shelved. If the publisher shelves the book in mystery, it's not women's fiction anymore. Mystery, like Science Fiction, is its own genre/niche. For 50/50 mixes, the publisher is going to decide (without your input) where the MOST sales will be from. There are plenty of mysteries that involve friendships and romance--just like there are plenty of romances that involve mysteries. I'd suggest approaching publishers of BOTH and see which one hits faster. :)

Josie
08-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks Cathy ;)

The story idea stewing in my head has to simmer in there for a while longer. It's difficult to say at the moment.

Maybe it's for Harlequin Intrigue, at least a romantic suspense, hmmm. Oh well, I'll just start writing it and see where it takes me for a while.

If I aimed for Melissa Singer's proposed storyline, I'd have to take out the mystery?

:Shrug:

Susan Gable
08-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks Cathy ;)

If I aimed for Melissa Singer's proposed storyline, I'd have to take out the mystery?

Ummmmm...that's a really hard question to answer. It kind of depends. If you can keep the mystery in the background, and pump up the emotional aspect, then it MIGHT work.

From the guidelines they've offered, I get the impression that emotion is what this program is really looking for. Emotional, real women.

Sorry I can't offer anything else more insightful than that!

Susan G.

Josie
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks, Susan.

Yes I think I see what you mean about the emotional part of these stories they're looking for.

Well, I have several stories, one being a romantic suspense, which is a possibility but not for what Melissa is looking for, though the 39ish heroine takes a motherly liking to a younger woman in the story...oops I guess Romantic Suspense isn't Women's Fiction either.

Again, thanks. I should write the darn thing, and see where it leads me, like an ouiji board, lol.

Cheers ;)

Cathy C
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Oh, absolutely! As a first-time author, you MUST have the completed manuscript before you start to query. It's not until long into your career that publishers will offer a contract on an unwritten book.

I wouldn't worry about the guidelines of any line until it's completed, because what's being purchased right this minute is for publication in 2007-2008. Even if you complete the book by the end of the year and they snap it up, what is in today's guidelines might not apply because you're probably looking at a 2009 pub date.

Josie
08-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks again everyone.

As a first time to be published author (fingers crossed when not typing) I need to take some time here...I have a new Neo (in place of old Alphasmart 3000). It's fantastic. Just got it today. Weighs 2 lbs. and can go everywhere as the Alphasmart did also. But the touch is far better, like being on a laptop, and--not connected to Internet. I can also carry it around so much easier. Have Neo will travel.

Off I go....

Cheers:Hug2: to Cathy and Susan

Susan Gable
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I just read that Bill Stephens production is offering a special price of $99.00 + S&H for the conference CD through Sunday, August 6th. After that, the price is $129.00.

So, if you want them, and want to save $30, order them before Monday.

The website is listed a few posts above this one.

Susan G.

Josie
09-03-2006, 09:20 PM
As we are talking about Tor on this thread...I thought I'd try to ask here

Is Natasha Panza still with Tor? She had a call out for chick lit submissions, as such, pardon the mmmmffff words "chick lit"

Or is that what Melissa Singer is handling?

Confused Josie (what's new)

Susan Gable
09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
As we are talking about Tor on this thread...I thought I'd try to ask here

Is Natasha Panza still with Tor? She had a call out for chick lit submissions, as such, pardon the mmmmffff words "chick lit"

Or is that what Melissa Singer is handling?

Confused Josie (what's new)

I don't know about Natasha Panza, I'll let Cathy handle that as she's more in the know about Tor's editorial staff than I am.

However, I will say that what Melissa Singer is looking for is NOT chick lit, if we're defining chick lit as the 20-something urban heroine yada, yada...
She's looking for women's fiction. Now, whether or not that could be done in a chick-litty tone, I don't know. :)

Susan G.

Josie
09-03-2006, 10:06 PM
I know that Melissa Singer is looking for women's fiction and that's what I'm working on for her, rather than chick lit. Thanks Susan :)

But somewhere I saw that Natasha Panza was looking for "chick lit".
I think I found it on Tor's website. But it may something from 2005, and wondered if it still applies.

I'll wait for Cathy to come on.

Cheers, P.S. I like that "chick-litty tone", you are good, Susan :)

Susan Gable
09-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Cheers, P.S. I like that "chick-litty tone", you are good, Susan :)

well, I like chick-litty TONE, even if I don't read too many of the books.

:)

Susan G.

Cathy C
09-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Sigh... No, Natasha's not with Tor anymore. She didn't jump ship or get fired. She simply moved to another state with her family. According to Anna, any submissions to the chick-lit line should go to the general submissions pile. Pitches for chick lit will go to editor Paul Stevens (but don't address your submissions to him.) If you want to find out more about Paul and which conferences he'll be at, you can visit his blog at: http://d-muscipula.livejournal.com/ (http://d-muscipula.livejournal.com/)

He doesn't talk about writing all that much, but he does list conferences he'll be attending from time to time.

Melissa Ann Singer
09-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Josie (and others):

No, no, no, no, please don't take out the mystery. Here's the thing about the women's fiction stuff (as well as almost all fiction at Forge/Tor that isn't classified as romance): the story that isn't the romance has to be at least 50% of the book's plot.

Melissa

Cathy C
09-13-2006, 12:05 AM
MELISSA!! HI! :welcome:

Glad you decided to drop by. You'll have fun here.

Josie
09-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Aha!! Thanks, Melissa. I wont' take out the mystery.

But I think I will have to put more romance in it. Someone who read it once said the romance was overshadowed by the mystery.

So excited. Thanks for being here!!:welcome:

We hope you have time to stop by any time you can. :hooray:

Cheers, :)
(Does it look like I love these emoticons?)

Susan Gable
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Aha!! Thanks, Melissa. I wont' take out the mystery.

But I think I will have to put more romance in it. Someone who read it once said the romance was overshadowed by the mystery.

So excited. Thanks for being here!!:welcome:

We hope you have time to stop by any time you can. :hooray:

Cheers, :)
(Does it look like I love these emoticons?)

Josie, now that Melissa has popped in (Hi, Melissa!) she can clarify, but if you are looking at the Tor/Forge women's ficiton program, it's not necessarily about romance. It's about women. So, sometimes a romance subplot is part of the story, but it's a subplot, not the primary. But, I think, and Melissa can correct me if I'm off-base here, it means that this program doesn't HAVE to have a romance. (Because the story could be about a woman's relationship with her mother/sister/friends/self-discovery, etc. instead.)

Now, if you want to write a romantic suspense story that's aimed elsewhere, then the comment that you need to pump up the romance may be spot on.

This is why knowing your target before/while writing the book can be so helpful.

Also, remember that one person's opinion is simply that: ONE person's opinion. I put the most weight into opinions from people who can buy the work. :)

I think it was Rober Heinlein who once said something to the effect of you never change anything unless it's an editor who tells you to. :) (I'll have to see if I can look that up.) I'm not quite that extreme because I do have people whose opinions I value, who advise me on my work before an editor sees it, but you get the basic point... :)

Susan G.

Josie
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks, Susan :) You are so great.

I am keeping what you've said in mind, while I'm writing.

And I must say I always appreciate your input, so don't ever go away. I shall have to provide you with a year's supply of chocolate chip cookies.
which you can only obtain when you come on board at AW forum :)

I wanted you to understand that I think I've been misinterpreting my novels to you. My finished over 35+ heroine story is a paranormal mystery which overshadows the romance in it. The heroine is mostly interested in completing her journey which has nothing to do with the man, although he is a main character. I do like a touch of romance in all stories but that doesn't mean 50%. Last year when these calls for submissions for older women started I discovered it was already seeping into my stories, but still with a touch of romance (because my heroines aren't dead) :) I like the thought of men being a bit of a diversion in the heroine's journey. Things should be well-balanced, eh?

So now I have looked at my stories and realized that you say 50% romance because I keep putting the word "romance" in there somewhere.
My unfinished (a lot of work to do) novel also has a bit of romance, but again it's the heroine's journey that is important, and the man, though yummy is secondary, but nice to have around.

I also realize now I put the men in the role secondary to the mystery, as they wait patiently (perhaps impatiently) for the heroines to love them, kind of a reverse of the old days of romance.

On these two projects (I have other ideas) one heroine has a growing motherly relationship with a teenage girl character, and the other heroine has a friendship relationship with another woman character. These each have their emotional aspects.

The murders bring these characters together.

Well, I've been blabbing on ha ha. I hope I am clear enough.

Hugs to Susan for your concern and I will keep your advice beside me :D

Oh by the way, a man friend of mine baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday and brought me some. O good grief I just remembered them. hmmmmhmmm

Cheers till later, Josie

Susan Gable
09-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Oh by the way, a man friend of mine baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday and brought me some. O good grief I just remembered them. hmmmmhmmm

Cheers till later, Josie

I was bad. I baked brownies tonight. They taste so yummy, though. <G>

Susan G.

Josie
09-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Susan:

You're right. You are bad.

:e2cookie: mmmmmmm chocolate chip cookiesssssss

Melissa Ann Singer
09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
If you are looking at the Tor/Forge women's ficiton program, it's not necessarily about romance. It's about women. So, sometimes a romance subplot is part of the story, but it's a subplot, not the primary. But, I think, and Melissa can correct me if I'm off-base here, it means that this program doesn't HAVE to have a romance. (Because the story could be about a woman's relationship with her mother/sister/friends/self-discovery, etc. instead.)

Susan is right, books for the women's fiction project do not have to have a romance, though they do have to have a strong emotional story in addition to the "other" plot. Books which lack a strong emotional story can still be submitted, of course, but they will be published, if we buy them, in our more general program, or in a different category, but not in the women's fiction program.

Josie
09-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks Melissa for taking time out of your busy schedule to give us more advice. I understand now about women's fiction.

I'll write my story and see what comes out.

Hope to see you again some time on AW forum.

Cheers, Josie :Sun:

Josie
02-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Hello!!

It's been a long time since this thread has shown any life. Life and writing has kept everyone busy?

My question which I posted somewhere else on AW forums and temporarily can't remember which thread, is: Has anyone heard anything new about Tor and their Senior Editor Melissa Ann Singer's call for women's fiction last August? Brought up at the RWA 2006 Conference in Atlanta as a matter of fact.

I'm still slowly writing something, and I am going to have to get a move on.:snoopy:

What's new?

Cheers, Josie :)

Melissa Ann Singer
02-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Josie, I responded to you in the Current Hot Trend in Romance thread.