If you never hear from me again after Thursday the 27th, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
it is because I refused to come out of Mammoth Cave. :D

My husband and I are taking the children on the Violet City Lantern Tour. It is a 3 hour tour that covers about 3 miles of the cave.

I wanted to go on the Wild Cave tour that lasts about 6 hours. On that tour, you get to crawl through tight spaces and such but, my children aren't old enough yet. There is an age limit.

I am excited because I'm gonna buy me some rocks! I love rocks.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Have you ever been caving? I enjoy it. I don't mind going down deep, and getting in tight spaces.

psy7ven

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
*giggles*

Me? ... insinuate? nahhhh :D I'm a good girl. *smirk*

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I visited Mammoth Cave years ago. We only managed a tour of the dry caves, though. There was so much to see.

If you haven't already been, I also suggest Lurey Caverns and the Lost Sea. Both trips are worthwhile ventures.

My freshman year in college, my orientation group decided to go spleunking in a local cave. We were told to wear old clothes and sneakers. Good thing, too. There were two spaces where we had to slide through a crevice on our backs, so close to the rock above you thought you would be squashed.

At the end of the cave was an open area and a mud slide pit. Muddy rock in the center, mud pool below. Great, dirty, messy fun was had by all. Then we turned off all the flashlights (PITCH BLACK!) and sang a few hymns just to hear our voices in that cave.

Great trip. :D

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Now that's what I call fun chaostitan!! I would love to do something like that. :D

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
psy7ven said:
I am excited because I'm gonna buy me some rocks! I love rocks.
I love rocks too, and I've explored a few caves. I've also gotten stuck a few times, once when I went by myself (not smart). Can't move forward, can't go back, can't even take a deep enough breath to scream because my chest was the part that was stuck. As a matter of fact...AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
LOL what is it about rocks that is soo cool tho? I mean they don't do anything other than just lay there. For whatever reason, I love em. Maybe it is because they are so passively beautiful and yet when thrown can become deadly! rawr

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You should enjoy Mammoth Cave. I still remember going as a kid.

Just don't try knocking off any of the stalactites as a souvenir. They frown on that. ;-)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
One of my books was called Cave Island. It was all about doing a Journey to the Center of the Earth type story in modern days. I even connected up Mammoth with Crystal in my story and took the team down further than any known depth to discover an island in the middle of a cave lake that was filled with some pretty nasty manphibians. I even interviewed the original Mammoth exploration team and modeled three of my characters after them.

Oh, yeah, I love Mammoth cause it rules. The keyway and tight spot, and the beautiful popcorn formations.

Tri

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That sounds awesome. 6 hours! I've bone caving before, but never in such big caves. We did a 3-hour one a few years back. When we got out, we were covered with "stuff." It was so cool. I love caves.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
We have a mini cave toward the back end of our property. It's fun to go in there.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
psy7ven said:
it is because I refused to come out of Mammoth Cave. :D

My husband and I are taking the children on the Violet City Lantern Tour. It is a 3 hour tour that covers about 3 miles of the cave.

Have you ever been caving? I enjoy it. I don't mind going down deep, and getting in tight spaces.
Watch out for those 3 hour tours, they can turn into a shipwreck at any time. :)

As a kid I've been to Cave of the Winds and locally we have the Cave of the Mounds, which is kind of cool. We went there when my wife was preggers and there are a few tight squeezes which turned out to be highly entertaining for me, not so much for my wife.

I'm not sure I'd want to go spulunking though, I'm sort of claustrophic.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is the spelunker in our family. He's been itching to go the caves near us all summer. It's getting on my nerves, so we'll definitely go soon. The last time we went, I sat on the rocks and read a book while he took the kids into the caves. They didn't have their bathing suits, so they couldn't go the whole length of them (at one point the chilly water reaches thigh-height on an adult). We'll take the swimsuits this time around and I'll go in, dang it. I promised. We can canoe the length of a river to get there (I like canoeing) and then hike a few kilometres to the cave entrance.

I'm just not into walking through freezing water in the dark surrounded by rocks. I keep expecting slimy little Gollum to jump out and ask me a riddle. Ick.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I keep expecting slimy little Gollum to jump out and ask me a riddle.
LMAO!!

The tour that I will be taking with my family involves the use of lantern lighting only. That will be an experience.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever been to Cave City?

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
Have you ever been to Cave City?

Is that near Chattanooga? Ruby Falls? Rock City? Inclined Railroad?

If so...yes. :) If not...then oops - sorry - no.

I've been to quite a few caves but none recently. I love them - especially in the summer. The air is so cool....ahhh....the wife's pregnant now so I don't think I could talk her into going this year...

Maybe next year.

Have a lot of fun on your vacation!!!

Take care all -

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Cave City's in Arkansas, and has some very nice caverns -- it's all old and cold, and wet if I recall from my youth. I think a sign refers to Cave City as the watermelon capital of the world, too. Those are nice, as well as Meramack Caverns (the Jesse James hideout in Missouri). Basically, the whole mountainy/hilly area on the western side of the Mississippi is pocked with cool limestone formations.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Is that near Chattanooga? Ruby Falls? Rock City? Inclined Railroad?
Well, yes, those things are all near Chattanooga, but I was referring to Cave City, Kentucky.

Reaction score
I read an article about a month ago that claimed that the cave touring industry was unregulated, unsafe and way overdue for a major disaster.

Have fun!!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Aren't you just the barrel of pickles in a candy store, Mr. Thrilly!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
Well, yes, those things are all near Chattanooga, but I was referring to Cave City, Kentucky.

Ahh....then, I don't think so...but it does sound oddly familiar.

:)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a kid (yesterday, I think) my family took this tour through a cave in Montana - I can't remember what it was called, but it's famous or something. Anyway, we were in a tour group, and there were points where you had to slide on your belly to get through, and other spots where you had to squeeze or do a nice butt- scooch.

Then at one point, we all gathered at this spot and the guide turned off the flashlights, and you not only couldn't see your own nose, but you got dizzy! We all lost reference to up, down and sideways. It was amazing. I'd love to do that again just to study the effect on perception.

Then on the exit, you had to open one door, walk down a tunnel and WAIT till the first door shut, then open the door to the outside world. They said if both doors were open at the same time, the resulting wind would be hurricane strength.

I'm great in caves, till I see one spider. Then make way, 'cause I'm runnin'. This toad's arachnophobic.

Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Then at one point, we all gathered at this spot and the guide turned off the flashlights, and you not only couldn't see your own nose, but you got dizzy! We all lost reference to up, down and sideways.

Wouldn't down just be where your feet were?

I don't get how darkness can make you dizzy.

Are you sure you weren't weightless and in the dark?

Please elaborate.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.