SST planes Urgent info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have an urgent question about SST planes e.g. the late Concorde. In my novel I have a private SST flying at 1am EST and it's raining.
  • Do these planes fly at night--not can they, but do they?
  • If they fly at night are the routinely on auto-pilot or are the manually piloted.
  • In rain, at full speed, do they use windshield wipers like their slower cousins?
Here is the line I'm using and I want it to be accurate.

Minutes later the jet, cleared for take off, dashed along the runway and skyward, north to Iceland and Jan’s personal battle with al- Qâdi.
Outside, silver lightning flashed brilliant warnings. A long black squeegee swept over the plane’s cockpit window as the damp became mist, then rain.
Thanks for your help!

[PC1]Perhaps the squeegee should be mentioned before take off…

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to fly, but certainly not a Concorde. Here's what little I do know.

The wipers on the Concorde were only used at slower, non-supersonic speeds, say less than 300 knots.

Whether it's night or not wouldn't make any difference for using the autopilot as far as I know.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've seen wipers on the concorde, but they would only be used at slower (sub-sonic speeds).

The concorde can and has flown at night. The auto-pilot question, not sure of, but they would no doubt be able to land/take off, without it. All commercial pilots have to have IFR rating, though.

When you mentioned the long black squeegee though, all I could think about was some guy on a ladder wiping it over and expecting a buck in return.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
Boeing developed Rain-X to use on airplane windshields so you don't need to use wipers. Try some on your windshield and you will see what I mean.

The sub-sonic airplanes I worked on in the Air Force did not have wipers of any kind, but I don't recall ever seeing them apply Rain-X either. Sometimes the windshields were so pitted, it was amazing they could see to fly.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. Since my SST is taking off. I think I'm okay. I just wanted to be sure.

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
I've flew both on British Airways and Air France back in '79.
If you have any questions about what it was like, the inside, the food, the mach monitor...

just let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.