Present Tense

Lloydyboy

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing...

Can anyone recommend a good book or two written in the present tense? I believe Patricia Cornwell has experimented in this form.

PerditaDrury

Registered
Reaction score
Lloydyboy said:
Another thing...

Can anyone recommend a good book or two written in the present tense? I believe Patricia Cornwell has experimented in this form.

Boris Starling's two thrillers, MESSIAH and STORM, are both written in present tense. The former was made into a very scary BBC mini-series, too.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
Steve Martini's legal thriller series featuring Paul Madriani is written in present tense. Start with Compelling Evidence.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Blood of Angels by Reed Arvin is in present tense. Very good book. Very non-obtrusive present tense. Of course, I'm not a present tense hater like some people. lol Seriously, very good book.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I find present tense very offputting. When I first started reading the Scarpetta novels it didn't bother me but by the time I got to Predator (I think that was the name) I found it incredibly cumbersome and frustrating. Definitely prefer past tense... Having said that I find Steve Martini's books very readable. Much better than the later P Cornwell books

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's very good, & even the sections that take place during the depression (in the MC's past) are in present tense. She did a great job, I didn't want to put it down.