boil order question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
my town is under a water conservation and boil order right now. My understanding is, any water you use for cooking or drinking has to be boiled first. So if I was going to make corn on the cob. The water is going to be boiling, do I have to get the water boiled first and then put the corn in so it's ok, or can I just do it regular-like since its going to be boiled anyway?
Or does that put *whatever* into the food since it wasn't boiled prior to the food being in it? I'm so confused! (and my husband is out of town or I would ask him)

Reaction score
drop the corn in, turn it up to high....and then there's only one thing left to do....

pray

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
STL. we've had bad storms, power outages here and there, lots of high windes damage, and now apparently a possible water contamination.
All hell is breaking loose! I think they called out the National Guard

Reaction score
Stew21 said:
STL. we've had bad storms, power outages here and there, lots of high windes damage, and now apparently a possible water contamination.
All hell is breaking loose! I think they called out the National Guard

I blame Rove.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
[Technical Tori]

You are fine without boiling before the corn. The boiling process just kills any possible microbes and/or bacteria type things that might appear in potentially contaminated water.

[/Technical Tori]

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Uh, Trish, boil the water, first, for a few seconds at least, before putting the corn in. Otherwise, whatever's in the water is gonna be in the corn.

Big bummer. It's been buried in the news because of the Middle East. There's a huge power outage in NYC, too. Not as bad as where you are, though.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Even when the water is clean, it's supposed to boil before you drop the corn in. Vegetables lose less flavor and nutrients if you start them in boiling water.

Hmm. Less flavor and fewer nutrients.

Does STL mean Seattle? Pardon my ignorance if not.

Reaction score
Stew21 said:
i have always put the corn in before the water boiled...hhmmm....

Me too. The quicker the food starts cooking the quicker I'm eating. I don't have the time to wait for the water to boil first and then drop the food in.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
really in IL...but only about 20 minutes from STL, and I drive over there for work every day.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Does STL mean Seattle? Pardon my ignorance if not.

I live in the Seattle area. So does Mac.

But yeah, it's St. Louis.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
whistlelock said:
Your corn will come out sweeter if you wait to drop it in after the boiling starts.

And I used to live in Peoria.

I used to live near Peoria. I grew up in Mason County. My dad worked at Cat, and when I was 19 I worked at the Pere Marquette.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go Cardinals!

Have you been to the new stadium?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Well, we always have to boil drinking water here. It's not considered safe otherwise. We have two pots dedicated to the sole purpose of boiling drinking water. *sigh*

You can buy bottled water - there are apparently 300+ companies that sell bottled water. Problem is, only 40something of those are certified. The rest? For all we know, they fill the water from the same taps that everyone elses use, then they seal it and sell it, with no boiling. And some companies here do exactly that, contaminants and all.

Yeah, we'll stick to boiling our own. :tongue

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
Go Cardinals!

Have you been to the new stadium?

My husband has but I haven't. I was offered tickets last week, short notice, no babysitter, and it was 100 degrees outside, so I passed. Maybe I'll get there eventually!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You want the water safe? First boil the water. As it's boiling get this huge copper funnel and set on top. Get some coiled copper tubing and run that from the funnel to another empty pot. As the steam rises it will collect in the tubing, cool and become clean, purified water.

Then take that water and use it to boil your corn.

If that's too much trouble, then just boil the water for 5 minutes before you put in the corn. :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
My husband has but I haven't. I was offered tickets last week, short notice, no babysitter, and it was 100 degrees outside, so I passed. Maybe I'll get there eventually!
My best friend Cheryl is from St. Louis. We keep saying we're going to go to a ballgame at the new stadium but we haven't made any plans to do it yet. And no, it wouldn't be in the middle of summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.